It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sunburned in April in the UK??!!! How is your weather?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2015 @ 02:31 PM
link   
We got sunburned in the garden on the weekend too! Never been so happy to have gone pink in my life after this winter!
Not a PC comment I know!

posted on Apr, 15 2015 @ 02:45 PM
link   
a reply to: zazzafrazz
Haha, I like that attitude!
I'm still cross with myself for not walking two minutes and spending a pound on sunscreen, but I'm sooo glad it's hot n sunny again.
I can't stand Winter with it's cold and wet horrid weather, costs way more money to live paying out for gas on heating because I actually cannot get out of bed if the ambient temperature is lower than underneath my quilt!
...well I would if I had to but I don't so I have the heating come on an hour before I have to get up...first world problems I guess.

posted on Apr, 15 2015 @ 03:37 PM
link   
I'm in North-West France - definitely T-shirt weather here. Must be at least 20C, my attic room was toasty warm like a Canadian summer. Felt like I was in the Tropics in Summer, not Spring.

posted on Apr, 15 2015 @ 03:53 PM
link   
a reply to: stormcell
Sounds similar to the lush weather here.
I'm actually working in NW France for a month or so later this year, stonewalling and plastering, looking forward to it.
Hope it's cooler than Charente-Maritime I worked at a few years ago, the French blokes laughed at us Brits sweating pints in the heat while they were sipping wine lol.

edit on 15.4.2015 by grainofsand because: typo

posted on Apr, 15 2015 @ 05:31 PM
link   
91 degrees and sunny here. Need to hit the beach.

posted on Apr, 15 2015 @ 05:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Mandroid7

Going bed jealous as #!

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Sorry but people from the UK are so white they can get sunburned from taking a picture with flash, so yeah im not surprised

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 11:21 AM
link   
a reply to: papazen
Ha, that made me chuckle, reminded me of a previous girlfriend who had the palest ever complexion with beautiful long red hair. She wore the highest factor sunscreen she could buy or she'd burn in 10 minutes. Absolutely gorgeous though, I'm not really into the heavily tanned look myself, I prefer natural white.

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Santa Monica, California. Slightly warm for Mid April. Going to be about 78 degrees F where I'm at on the west side of the city. Sucker friends stuck in "valley" will get 81 degree weather. Currently no wind, slight marine layer haze, low humidity. Not a cloud in the sky from my viewing angle. About 20-25 minute time in full sun until you start to feel slightly red. Flowers beginning to bloom. Jasmin in full inflorescence can be smelt everywhere in my neighborhood. Plumeria just beginning to sprout new leaves and come out of hibernation. Allergy season has just begun hopped up on allegra.

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 12:53 PM
link   
a reply to: BASSPLYR
Sounds lovely where you are, I'm a little jealous of the smell of Jasmin everywhere.
The local wild flower in my parts is Red Valerian which grows in old stone walls and pretty much everywhere. They have sprouted again for the year but their flowers are yet to show their faces. Although they are really pretty turning the place pink for the next 6 or 7 months, they don't smell very nice! Can't have it all I guess.

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 01:26 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

SO that's what I walk past when I go hiking in the spring. We have red valerian here too in Los Angeles. It usually grows on the Chaparral side of the santa monica mountains and Hollywood hills in small patches growing in the loose dirt. (south facing sides, north sides are wetter from less sun making a different more tree heavy biome) I always thought they were pretty. Although our big wild flower is mustard which coats the mountain sides in a pale yellow for a month or two.
See below random internet photo of mustard growing in Hollywood hills

farm6.static.flickr.com...

We also get anise growing in the hills and it don't smell nice and is not pretty.

luirig.altervista.org...

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 02:08 PM
link   
a reply to: BASSPLYR

Ah, that second pic is Fennel, I've got a lot of respect for that plant as it is such a survivor, it will have a bash at life in so many rough environments, and then there's the edible aspect to it, yep Fennel gets a thumbs up from me.

...and where there's foeniculum-vulgare there's sure to be Buddleja davidii close by, they're a hardy plant I respect as well even though it is an invasive species.
Chimneys, old walls, lack of water, those plants are hard as nails, they'll survive where many other plants won't.

The stone wall I was repairing in the OP was damaged by both Red Valerian and Buddleja, and I had to remove them to the roots to be sure. I whispered a little thank you to them for the work they created before they met their fate of the compost heap.

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Yep Butterfly Bush (buddleja) grows right next tot he fennel too all the time! Guess Southern California and your home town have more in common then expected!

Do you have any of this stuff growing where you are? It's pretty aggressive and will grow just about anywhere in Los Angeles. Gutters, out of cement cracks, places there's seemingly no water.

www.uky.edu...

Bougainvilla is pretty invasive as is algerian ivy and morning glory. Got any of that stuff attacking your trees and walls? I can't stand having to remove the Algerian ivy. It's so thick and dirty and it does heavy damage to whatever it grow onto. Once used a chain saw to remove some of it, it was so thick.

posted on Apr, 18 2015 @ 12:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: BASSPLYR
Bougainvilla is pretty invasive as is algerian ivy and morning glory. Got any of that stuff attacking your trees and walls? I can't stand having to remove the Algerian ivy. It's so thick and dirty and it does heavy damage to whatever it grow onto. Once used a chain saw to remove some of it, it was so thick.
I have never seen any of those growing wild here in the UK but after reading about Bougainvilla I see Wiki says this:

The growth rate of bougainvilleas varies from slow to rapid, depending on the variety. They tend to flower all year round in equatorial regions. Elsewhere, they are seasonal, with bloom cycles typically four to six weeks.
Bougainvilleas grow best in dry soil in very bright full sun and with frequent fertilization; but they require little water once established, and in fact will not flourish if over-watered.
I guess the UK's high rainfall and short 'sunny season' does not suit them to be invasive here...who knows though, if this hot Spring sunshine becomes a regular thing such plants could get a foothold over here, they do seem to be resourceful plants!

We have plenty of the traditional English Ivy, it loves our old stone buildings and there seems to be two camps of people, those who remove every sign of shoots each year, and those who let it go wild covering their walls...I'm the latter as I love it's lush green colour...even though I know one day I'm going to rip it down and get my trowel out to do the repairs lol

posted on Apr, 18 2015 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Been in Belgium all week.... Bruges from Monday to Thursday morning and then Brussels from Thursday Morning to Friday night.
Got sunburnt on Monday and had to buy aftersun.

Ridiculous... but great too, was perfect weather all week.

posted on Apr, 18 2015 @ 02:00 PM
link   
a reply to: blupblup
Sounds well nice, and sorry but good to hear someone else messed up with the sunscreen like I did haha!
Hoping this is the sign of a brilliant Summer to come.
I'm working in France for a month or so in a few weeks, all outdoors, so hoping it stays the same.

posted on Apr, 18 2015 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Yeah was weird though... I took a raincoat, 2 hoodies and a couple of shirts - thankfully 4 t-shirts too but man, it was just beautiful. Even the locals were like "yeah - this isn't normal make the most of it"

I hope summer is amazing too mate.

Hope you have a great time in France.

posted on Apr, 18 2015 @ 02:31 PM
link   
a reply to: blupblup Haha, lucky you had the t-shirts or it would have been a trip to the Belgian equivalent of Primarni!
Cheers man, I'm really looking forward to France, converting a barn to holiday 'gites' with lots of stonewalling, travel and ferry from Plymouth paid for me, free accomodation and home cooked food, and a decent earner. Apparently the work rate of local French guys is expensive and a lot less than what me and the guys going over will bang out in a month or so.

My 18 year old son is well happy though, he's got my house and cat feeding role to himself while I'm away. I'm a little concerned but he is a sensible lad, and my ex-wife (his mother) is my most trusted friend who has promised to do random 'security checks' to make sure there ain't no crazy parties going on...fingers crossed lol

posted on Apr, 18 2015 @ 03:26 PM
link   

I absolutely S*** you not mate, they had a Primark in Brussels and they had a security guy/bouncer on the DOOR and people queueing to get in!!! We pissed ourselves... man, queueing for Primarni!!
Sounds like you're going to have a great time man... so lucky, a month in France, paid and free grub and accom... lucky guy.

Your son will be fine, we were all young once mate - He'll have fun but I'm sure he wont go too mad.

posted on Apr, 18 2015 @ 03:31 PM
link   
a reply to: blupblup
Hahahaha!!! Another post tonight that has genuinely made made me proper laugh out loud!
A Primarni in Brussells with bouncers and queues?! Haha brilliant, I'd have pissed laughing as well.
Cheers man, nice one for popping your quality two penneth into this thread.

<< 1   >>

join