It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help with Student Loan Debt.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 09:41 PM
link   
If anyone has some info I'm currently being processed for Income Based payments which should help, but does anyone have any info or ideas I know that bankruptcy doesn't work unless you can prove to a judge that you will never be able to pay it.

I've heard there are certain ways to have it discharged or canceled anyone hear of this??
edit on 14-4-2015 by ATF1886 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 09:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: ATF1886
If anyone has some info I'm currently being processed for Income Based payments which should help, but does anyone have any info or ideas I know that bankruptcy doesn't work unless you can prove to a judge that you will never be able to pay it.

I've heard there are certain ways to have it discharged or canceled anyone hear of this??

There are programs if you go into public service, like Leo and paramedic.

But you are pretty much just stuck with it forever.

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Student loan never goes away! Hook, line, and sinker!

That con, scam, criminal loan... is beyond me why people apply for it, thinking they can easily pay it off in the future.

Society is by design. And it's controllers/manipulators love the same technique.. deception hook line and sinker.

Really sucks my friend, good luck is all I can say

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 10:16 PM
link   
a reply to: ATF1886

Obama is trying to make it so government employment wipes the debt.

Go figure.

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Obama is trying to make it so government employment wipes the debt.

Go figure.

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 10:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Elementalist

Mine was manageable for us, but my husband's is killing us.

It would have been manageable too if he had gotten the job he had to work about 5 or 6 years after graduation to land and then started with the recommended payments they wanted right after he graduated. Of course, by the time he got that job ... it had gotten to be quite a bit more than that per month.

Right now, we are basically paying two mortgages. It didn't help that I was crippled in my income potential by basically spending about 10 years with chronic illness that needed a neurologist and neck surgery to adequately address, too.

Student debt sucks, no doubt, but if everything falls out like it should, it could be taken care of. Or if you slow down your progression and work some of it off as you go ... or if your parents can save up for you to take the edge off ... or if you get lucky and have a talent that helps you pay your way.

THese days, it's become an astronomical boondoggle.

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 10:39 PM
link   
a reply to: greencmp

Not trying to go off topic but can you elaborate on that - "government employment" wiping the debt? whattt? U2U?

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 10:54 PM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

Yup, he said it in a speech last year, I kid you not.

Here Comes The Student Loan Forgiveness

The other thing people should know is that many government departments, agencies and even offices have dedicated taxpayer funded lobbyists. Again, I am not making this up.

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 11:21 PM
link   
That's the main reason why I chose not to go to college. I saw how expensive it was, and I graduated right ahead of the "crash" of 2008, but there were already dwindling jobs at that point... I knew it would be a terrible mistake and I wouldn't be able to afford it. Figured I was doing well enough learning all I needed to know on my own anyway, and am continuing that habit.

I am in debt, but my debts are much smaller than student loans at around $15,000 currently. I have a new car and have built (well... rebuilt) a house (er... trailer) but, I'm living comfortably and have a little money left over each month, and am paying down my loans pretty quickly.

My girlfriend, on the other hand... well, she's not so lucky. She couldn't get a job in what she went to school for and had to settle for a retail job where she barely makes enough to cover her loans each month and gas to get to and from work, with a little left for food. She's ~$100,000 in debt and barely paying the interest. I'm providing the house, utilities, and maintenance on her car, she would definitely not be able to afford all of those and live on her own.

The way I see it, anyone in student debt who didn't get lucky and land the perfect, high-paying job that they were educated for, are quite frankly, screwed.

Good luck.

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Change your name to juan then put in for government loans ...

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 11:52 PM
link   
What did you study?

I know my cousin went into teaching and just after student teaching she went into some low-income student teaching (teaching students from lower-class families) and they wiped out half of her student loans.

I have also heard if you are looking to save money and get out of debt a good book is "Total Money Makeover" by Dave Ramsey. Go find it at your local library

posted on Apr, 15 2015 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Lol, I just did this. It raised my payments...The "final" payment wasn't any where near what they told me on the phone. Unless I win the lotto, or die, I've just resigned to the fact that I'll probably never pay those suckers off.

posted on Apr, 15 2015 @ 04:55 AM
link   
a reply to: ATF1886I am on income based repayment plan. Part of the money is zeroed out because of my low income. I do have to reapply annually. The other half is being payed by monthly direct deposit. However that amount is very tiny. That payment is tiny because it is based on net income. Based on what I have to pay do not worry, unless you have some huge six figure income.

posted on Apr, 15 2015 @ 05:29 AM
link   

I have financial background

I can help

I did a quick scan of your posts to see if you are hardcore neocon or Zionist, you seem to be a regular guy so I will help you

In Canada after 7 years of low income you apply through debt licensed attorney, costs you about 2 grand, and your debt is automatically canceled without the judge

After 5 years you also have a right to apply but your case will go in front of a judge

In United States it varies by the state, you have to start googling AND calling on the phone people to inform yourself on your rights and what the procedures are

Remember bankruptcy means you won't be able to get visa or MasterCard or loan from a bank for about 7-8 years

But I believe it is still well worth it

posted on Apr, 15 2015 @ 08:44 AM
link   
a reply to: MensaIT3

To paraphrase, I would help you but first I have to check your political leanings.

If you pass muster, I will give you advice.

That, my friends, is "altruism" for you.

posted on Apr, 15 2015 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Well, I make 11.01 an hour, 40 hours a week and 12 to 20 hrs ot a week. I don't make enough to pay anything so I'm paying zero a month on mine, been for 2 years now. If I keep in that bracket, (even when I move up to 12. 80 a month, I may have to pay 5 dollars a month), they'll fully forgive it in (now) 23 more years. I can't wait. Nothing like oweing current 62k on a bachellors degree I'll never be able to get because the loans ran dry before school was over. I only found out after the fact that this happened to hoards of other Devry students. Lots of us sitting there 70% of the way toward our bachelors.

Ya live and learn. I have an awesome job in a factory now; love the work, love the people, love the boss. This is the most an hour I've ever made and I have about 700 to 800 a month left over once my rent, bills and food is paid for (son and I definitely don't go without anything). When I work overtime, I have about 1300 left over a month. No roonmates, just me. Well son too but he's looking for work right now. I think I'm doing far better than if I had my degree in web design.

I'm just saying, if you make under a certain amount, you don't have to pay back a thing. It can be zero a month. It could be 1 dollar to whatever a month. Just depends what you make an hour. Look into everything. I go through Nelnet and their options are there down the left side.

posted on Apr, 15 2015 @ 09:25 AM
link   
a reply to: MensaIT3
Student loan debt is unforgivable, it's guaranteed from the government. They will garnish wages, tax returns, social security, even welfare. The key isn't to go in default. Once it goes into default all interest in the loan is due as well as initial amount. If your paying 15 years in 50k. The interest on it would be about 15k. At that point the total due is 65k not the 50k, plus 10% collection fees or in this case 6500 bringing the total due to 71,500 on just the 50k. Put simply, never, never, never let a student loan go in default, cause once you do, your screwed. You can defer it, which just means the debt cycles through and adds the interest, but defaulting royally screws you.

posted on Apr, 15 2015 @ 09:25 AM
link   

It sounds like student loans are pretty black and white in terms of paying them down, but my dad is an attorney and I know he has helped a lot of people who had credit card debt settle with the company for much less than the amount they owed.

However, like I said, I don't know if student loans allow for any flexibility like credit card debt. Maybe see if your family or friends have anyone that is an attorney that could take a look at your loans and give you a preliminary assessment? That might be a good route to go!

posted on Apr, 15 2015 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Yea i looked into It florida only nurses grt comped and that is only 4k a year for 4 ye ats its bs...a reply to: johnwick

posted on Apr, 15 2015 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Yea i regret it dearly they Def got this moron on a hook... a reply to: Elementalist

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join