It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

IBM's Watson makes a cookbook with tasty dishes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Here's a cookbook made by artificial intelligence.

Fancy a tasty byte? Cookbook written by artificial intelligence

The newest cookbook on the market was compiled by a chef who “has never tasted a single morsel of food”, the book’s introduction points out. “This culinary prodigy, in fact, has no taste buds, no nose, not any sensual experience of food or drink.”

This could be the world’s first collection of recipes created by artificial intelligence.

Watson, IBM’s cognitive system that famously defeated two human grand champions to win the US quiz show Jeopardy, has turned its attention to the kitchen.

The computer was programmed to produce ideas for food combinations that would taste pleasant at a molecular level and that, crucially, had not yet been tried.

Link

Here's some of the videos:

Cognitive Cooking with Chef Watson: Recipes for Innovation from IBM & the Institute of Culinary Education contains 65 recipes and is available in hardcover from April 14.

Machine Intelligence will be a huge boon to humanity as it gets more advanced. Eventually though, it will become so advanced we will not be able to control or understand how it's evolving.

posted on Apr, 15 2015 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Haha, bacon pudding.

Even artificial intelligence recommends bacon.

posted on Apr, 15 2015 @ 12:47 AM
link   
Watson is awesomely delightful.

If we allow him to pursue such beautiful talents, why would he ever wish or have cause to rise against us?

posted on Apr, 15 2015 @ 07:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: GENERAL EYES
Watson is awesomely delightful.

If we allow him to pursue such beautiful talents, why would he ever wish or have cause to rise against us?

Chefs, painters, musicians, and otherwise artistic people have the ability to be evil, too.

Granted, I'm not saying that Watson can be evil; it does not have the ability to think for itself to be able to chose to do evil things. However, what I am saying is that having artistic ability does not exclude or prevent someone from doing evil things. If artificial intelligence ever rises to the level of human intelligence, cognition, and independent thought, it may also not be immune from acting in evil ways just because it has artistic ability.

Having said that, this is a pretty cool idea. I wouldn't mind trying some of these recipes.

edit on 4/15/2015 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2015 @ 06:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Soylent Green Is People

As long as no super-diabolical-idiot gives Watson bad ideas or asks him to perform stupid ideological quandary that would lead to a destructive God Complex, I think we'll be alright.

Those recipes do look rather awesome, don't they?

edit on 4/15/15 by GENERAL EYES because: sorry, grammar edit

posted on Apr, 15 2015 @ 07:55 PM
link   
a reply to: GENERAL EYES

Good points and I would like to try a desert called Italian Pumpkin Cheesecake. Here's some other dishes:

The surprising results include the Spanish Almond Crescent, a butterless and sugar-free pastry flavoured with pepper, saffron and coconut milk; asparagus grilled with pig’s feet croquettes and mustard foam; an apple and pork kebab cooked with mushrooms, strawberries and curry powder; ale brewed with veal stock; plum pancetta cider; and a bacon dessert made from porcini mushrooms, walnut meal and dried figs.

Right now, machine intelligence can be controlled and directed which is a good thing. For instance, Watson couldn't create a dish that would spread a disease throughout the world with any malicious intent. In the future, a machine might create a dish that will cause a terrible disease to spread that we don't know about and wipe out half of humanity with a recipe from a cookbook.

The thing is, how will we know when a machine is self aware if it doesn't tell us it's self aware? We don't even know what makes us self aware so we will not know if an intelligent algorithm is created that can mimic self awareness and intelligence unless the machine wants to tell us.

posted on Apr, 15 2015 @ 07:56 PM
link   
If any of Watson's recipes call for a garnish of fish-shaped ethyl benzene or a 20-foot thick impermeable clay layer, I might become suspicious.

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 06:30 AM
link   
Fascinating indeed and I'm now waiting for Watson's cookbook on Amazon

Watson is simply hardware so exact clones are easy to make and it's a little worryingly easy to copy the frimware/software to all those clones if the software develops to the point where the machine is self aware and is able to pursue its own agendas.

The stuff of many a science fiction tale but still a huge success story for the engineers who've achieved these things so far as long as they don't take it too far without the necessary safeguards.

new topics

top topics

join