It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Beginner Gun Class

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 07:57 PM
link   
I want to take a basic gun class this year. I'm a total beginner. I've fired a handgun of some kind at me uncles house a couple of times-it was loud, smoky, and I have no idea if I even hit the target.

I'm honestly a bit intimidated by guns but would like to become more comfortable around them and at least reasonably confident and skilled using them.

Any thoughts? What should I be looking for in a class?

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Advice?

If you're that unfamiliar with guns and you buy the gun before hand. Do not load it until your instructor in whatever class you're in allows you to.

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 08:13 PM
link   
a reply to: mavra81

Most gun ranges offer classes for beginners as well as for a concealed weapons license.

ID

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Try to find a class at a range where you can try several different types and calibers of guns. Get a feel for different brands, grips, revolvers, semi-auto, large caliber small caliber, etc. An NRA certified trainer is also a good idea.

I took a safety class before I got my conceal carry license. I liked it so much I volunteered to teach it. The class I took had a brief history of firearms, gun powder, and projectiles. Then went into a more detailed examination of the types of guns available today, the pros and cons of each type. Safety was stressed from the very start, as it should be.

The most important information I can give you is the one thing the instructor said over and over again. Treat every single gun you ever touch like it is loaded until you prove it isn't. Even if you watch the person holding it examine it and show you its not loaded. When they hand it to you, treat it like it is loaded until YOU prove it isn't. Maybe you blinked. Maybe the person who just had it is an idiot. Who knows. Who cares. Treat it like it is loaded until you prove it isn't, and chances are you wont have a problem.

The second most important thing I can tell you is this: never point a gun at anything you do not want to kill. Period.

Its also not a bad idea to talk to the range owner or manager. See if he will work with you in firing guns in different types of settings. My range will dim the lights for me to simulate night conditions if there are no other people around. Its also not a bad idea to fire a round or two with hearing protection loosened or removed to get used to the experience. In a dark quiet room firing a gun will have a huge muzzle flash and make a noise like you wouldn't believe. If you have no idea what to expect it will probably get your full attention and scare you a bit. That is not what you want to have happen the first time you have to use a gun at home in the middle of the night to protect yourself. You want that surprise to happen on a range in a controlled environment where no one is shooting back. Do use hearing and eye protection otherwise.

Other than that, find your dominant eye if you have one. Start with the target close and work back from there. Remember that a line of sight extends beyond your target and the bullet might too. Treat every gun you ever touch with respect and don't ever think it will be funny if.... It wont.

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 08:26 PM
link   
YouTube never hurts when you want to learn about something. Go on and find videos that talk about gun safety.

Don't assume any video will make you an expert on anything. Hands on learning with an experienced shooter (instructor or buddy) will get you where you want to be.

A lot of people think you need professional advice when learning about guns, but I learned from my dad and a older church friend (both adults when I was a 12) and I have taught my wife and a few friends about firearms safety and learning to shoot.

It's a lot of fun and really enjoyable to put time and money into a hobby and see it pay off later on.

Another thing you want to look into is what kind of firearm you want: handgun, rifle, or shotgun.

Google the main uses of each and you will get plenty of info.

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Go buy yourself a single shot bolt action target 22cal rifle with a mounted scope, a 500 count brick of 22 ammo, some paper targets, a bag rifle rest and learn to site it in and shoot it. There is no need at this point to buy any other gun until you've mastered the 22cal Safely

Here's a good start milpas.cc...[ed itby]edit on 14-4-2015 by SPECULUM because: more cowbell

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 08:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: ArnoldNonymous
YouTube never hurts when you want to learn about something. Go on and find videos that talk about gun safety.

Don't assume any video will make you an expert on anything. Hands on learning with an experienced shooter (instructor or buddy) will get you where you want to be.

A lot of people think you need professional advice when learning about guns, but I learned from my dad and a older church friend (both adults when I was a 12) and I have taught my wife and a few friends about firearms safety and learning to shoot.

It's a lot of fun and really enjoyable to put time and money into a hobby and see it pay off later on.

Another thing you want to look into is what kind of firearm you want: handgun, rifle, or shotgun.

Google the main uses of each and you will get plenty of info.

Youtube is actually a great idea. It is free, and you can go into a class knowing a lot more. But in the end of course, hands on experience is key.

ID
edit on 14-4-2015 by ItalianDressing because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 08:49 PM
link   
if you take the advice and begin learning on YouTube videos.

It might be a good idea to also look up videos on how to treat gunshot wounds.

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 09:35 PM
link   
I took the 5-day handgun conceal carry class from FrontSight.com, and it was excellent. Includes training inside a shooting house, multi-target, hostage targets and all the testing and documentation for three conceal carry permits: NV, Utah, and Florida. Chief instructors were retired Army and Marine Military Police. Get on their email list and once in a while they offer reduced costs as low as $200 for the week. Located outside of Las Vegas, NV.

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 10:24 PM
link   
a reply to: mavra81

You could go to your local police department and see if they have something....many times cops will even offer to take you to the range.

Also its good you are intimidated by guns...ive been around them most of my life..in combat and out and im still intimidated by them.

posted on Apr, 15 2015 @ 05:13 AM
link   
Just remember the one truth...Satan himself loads them when you aren't paying attention. You may have just checked. But if you look away, the Evil One reloads them. Never, ever, ever forget that no matter what you KNOW to be true, that weapon reloaded itself.

Live by that, and you will reduce your accident rate.

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 01:46 AM
link   
Only point the barrel towards the target or to the sky, never to anywhere else when loaded. Reduces accident by 100%

new topics

top topics

active topics

join