It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ramming Speed! PD releases dash video of ending to February crosstown crime spree

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Oh, that was one hell of a hit! 2 dash cam videos show cops running down suspect in police cruiser. Strangely, the officer probably saved the mans life by ramming him as they surely would have shot him.

www.kvoa.com...

(VIDEO WARNING: Some people may find the video disturbing, video discretion is advised)

MARANA- Marana Police released video Tuesday of an incident on February 19 in which Marana police officer Michael Rapiejko used his patrol vehicle to end a crosstown crime spree.

Police say the suspect, Mario Valencia, confronted them with a stolen gun and fired one shot in the 5600 block of West Coca Cola Place before being struck by the cruiser.

Valencia is accused of a series of crimes in Tucson and Marana on the morning of February 19, including stealing a rifle from the Wal-Mart in Marana.

Tucson Police say he is also alleged to have robbed a 7/11 at 29th street and Columbus, set fire to a church at the Tucson Baptist Temple at 22nd Street and Columbus, and committed a home invasion near 22nd and Alvernon, in which he stole a vehicle.

Valencia is charged with a total of 11 counts, including aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, two counts of armed robbery, and unlawful discharge of a firearm.

Marana Police Chief Terry Rozema said while ramming a suspect with a police unit is not standard protocol, the suspect was only in the hospital for only a couple days and he was grateful everybody walked away. Valencia spent two days in the hospital after the incident.

edit on 14-4-2015 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 07:15 PM
link   
More than one way to skin a cat as they say.

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 07:21 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

Now that is some good policing!

I would not have complained if the officer discharged his service weapon.

Surely above and beyond the call of duty.

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 09:53 PM
link   
I call bs that the perp survived that. Really how is this even justified or legal?

posted on Apr, 15 2015 @ 01:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: w810i
I call bs that the perp survived that. Really how is this even justified or legal?

Because its one the few exception to Tennessee vs Garner ruling. The guy discharging the rifle presents an imminent danger to the public at large, allowing for use of deadly force even thought the suspect was heading away from the officers.

Secondly anything can be classified as a weapon. In this case the police vehicle was used as a weapon.

Some years back in Wyoming (I think) there was an incident where the suspect discharged his gun at people and then fled. The pursuit started, resulting in some incidents where the suspect stopped his car, got out and fired at the police. He then got back in and took off.

When the suspect tried to do it again, a police officer floored it and slammed into the guy and then hit the suspects car. Using a police vehicle in certain situations have occurred however they are rare and therefore don't get media coverage.

I am assuming your comments were directed at the police action. If not let me know.

posted on Apr, 15 2015 @ 01:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

Discharging a weapon at police in a suppressive mode is
bad on everybody down range, as you'll probably agree. A
standard hunting round is a lot more energetic in impact
energy than a pistol slug, or even in almost all cases a 5.56.
for that reason alone lethal force is justified with whatever's
handy...

Maybe a would be Jesse James could get an eye full and back out.

Getting popped by a squad--- and then a door sandwich. URP
Thanks for the visual, and I hope THAT guy lived.

posted on Apr, 15 2015 @ 06:30 AM
link   
I am unsure about how I feel regarding this case.

If the guy fired a shot towards people, property or officers, then yes, the use of lethal force, any lethal force including the use of the vehicle as a weapon is entirely justified.

However, from the video, it looks like he fired the shot into the air.

Is the use of lethal force still justified in that case? All the officer is protecting is the seagulls. Unless you want to argue that what goes up, must come down and may hit someone as it comes down.

I am British so I don't know US gun laws. I thought that owning and carrying a firearm was legal within the US. Is the act of discharging a firearm into the sky, illegal?

posted on Apr, 15 2015 @ 07:15 AM
link   
a reply to: BMorris

What you say is 100% common sense....something apparently lacking with some police officers in the US.
Apparently the guy stole the gun from Walmart and committed other crimes,but if he does not point the gun at anyone then the use of excessive force cannot be justified....can it?
I read a comment from another police officer in an article on cnn saying that the officer who ran the guy over was in the right because the guy might fire at innocent people further on which I found interesting because he is basically saying that killing a suspect because he/she might(might not) commit murder is the right thing to do.
Like another poster said a car is a lethal weapon so the officer is basically attempting to murder the suspect and is unwilling to put his own life at risk.
Personally I don't think what the police officer did here was the right thing to do,there are other approaches which should have been tried.

posted on Apr, 15 2015 @ 09:35 AM
link   
a reply to: defcon25
Today, we are treated to cops shooting people in the back while they run away or when they are immobile on the ground.

Apparently the guy stole the gun from Walmart and committed other crimes,but if he does not point the gun at anyone then the use of excessive force cannot be justified....can it?

This guy was firing the rifle in neighborhoods.

They didn't kill him.

They didn't kill or injure anyone else.

He only spent two days in the hospital.

This is a good news story.

posted on Apr, 15 2015 @ 09:36 AM
link   
I bet the cops felt aroused and had a rush (probably an erection too) during this.

posted on Apr, 15 2015 @ 07:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: BMorris

Is the use of lethal force still justified in that case? All the officer is protecting is the seagulls. Unless you want to argue that what goes up, must come down and may hit someone as it comes down.

This incident happened in Marana, AZ. Here in Arizona we have a statute named Shannon's law that makes it a felony offense to discharge a firearm randomly into the air.

And since the suspect was in possession of a weapon during the commission of a felony he can be charged with another felony - Misconduct Involving Weapons Class 4 Felony.

posted on Apr, 15 2015 @ 08:13 PM
link   
a reply to: derfreebie

The PA cleared the officer's use of force as justified.

(post by BestinShow removed for a manners violation)

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 03:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: BMorris
I am unsure about how I feel regarding this case.

As a Kiwi I feel the same way.

True , but given the rise of mass shootings around the world are the cops not going to assume the worst?

The guy is still alive unlike in other instances of fatal shootings. I don't overly condone the method used or that he was run over. To plays devil advocate should a police officer have risked his or her life on the basis the guy wasn't shooting at people?

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 01:47 PM
link   
a reply to: xpert11

Easy solution -

Don't commit a burglary, steal a gun from Walmart and discharge a round in public all the while ignoring every command given by law enforcement.

The guy could have resolved this at anytime and chose not to, putting the ball in law enforcements hands.

Everything the suspect did justified law enforcements actions.

Is it against the law to walk down the street with a firearm? - generally no.
Is it against the law to walk down the street with a firearm and brandishing it in a threatening manner? - absolutely.
Does it become worse when a round is dis charged indiscriminately into the air - absolutely.
What if some was walking outside when this occurred? Do we wait to see if he takes aim? Do we wait to see if he fires? Do we wait to see if he hits?
edit on 16-4-2015 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Community policing US style.

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 02:14 PM
link   

I could care less what the officers did to stop this scum bag.....Run him over....OK with me.

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 02:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: SubTruth

I could care less what the officers did to stop this scum bag.....Run him over....OK with me.
'

What if one day it was you or somebody you knew / cared about as a mistaken identity in that situation? You know mistakes are made, frequently.

edit on 16-4-2015 by bullcat because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Oh that was just awesome. Now...lets get rid of all cars seeing as how they can be used in a violent manner.

At least he only clipped him....that may be one of the best take downs I have seen....and well deserved.

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 11:50 PM
link   
a reply to: bullcat

Hence the reason use of force review is restricted to what the officer perceived the moment use of force was used. However in this case the suspect was clearly and correctly identified by law enforcement.

If you wish to discuss mistaken identity feel free to start a new thread or sound off in one of the many threads already created where people complain about something they know nothing about and refuse to educate themselves on it.

edit on 16-4-2015 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join