It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Shed 3

page: 56
<< 53  54  55    57  58  59 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 03:53 AM
link   
a reply to: gimmefootball400

Well believe it or not .........

We have to go all the way back to Roman days.

The Romans built chariots that would accommodate two horses' backsides.

Since the chariot makers also built wagons, they kept the same spacing because they already had all of the equipment to do so.

Horses' backsides did not change and the Roman empire ruled a great deal of the civilized world so century after century the width of the wheels of chariots and wagons and later coaches remained the same. It stayed the same because it worked.

Along came choo choo trains. Choo choo trains needed carriages, long carriages but carriages none the less. The carriage makers did not wish to retool and to do so was expensive, so train carriages were made to the same pattern using the same width of axles as had always been used. Obviously, the cargo had to be delivered to and from the train by horse drawn wagons so it all made perfect sense.

So the width of standard gauge railroad tracks is based on the size of two horses backsides. This is based on the principal of 'If it aint broke ... don't fix it.'

P

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 05:40 AM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

Sorry Pheonix, but that's not true.
It's an urban legend unfortunately.

LINK
LINK2

Early rail systems were developed in Wales UK, to help extract coal / ore from mines.
These were improved over time, and extended out to the nearest navigable waterways to ship the coal/ores.
This system was replicated (locally) throughout the UK, but mostly in narrow (by modern standards) gauges that suited the local needs (no consideration was given to linking these up at all).
It was much later when Stephenson built the first practical steam driven engines that a wider gauge was used, and this was adapted on the Manchester-Liverpool line, which was the first "inter-city" railway (I think!! LOL)
There are still MANY different gauges used today all over the world.

Oh, and the standard US gauge doesn't even match the gauge of roman chariots anyway!! LOL

How do these urban legends begin I wonder??? weird.

Cheers!
G

PS - Forgot to say that I WISH it was true!!! Sounds like it should be!! LOL
edit on 31-5-2015 by Gordi The Drummer because: I wanted to add a PS

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 05:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Gordi The Drummer

Well, from your own source

There is no evidence that we could find that this is true.

But they also could not disprove it!

That is the problem with urban legends! They very often have their basis in fact. I was taught this in primary school ... so it must be true

Still, if you take two horses, they will fit nicely between the lines, so ....

Lol. It is a nice story never the less.

P

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 05:53 AM
link   
Well, I had a really great gig last night with BlonnaHooley.... I think maybe...yup DEFINITELY the BEST YET!!

Good crowd, great atmosphere, loads of friendly "banter", and compliments galore for the Band.
Even got a text from the bar owners after the show saying that their "punters" (customers) were raving about us!!!!
WoooHoooo!!

He's already wanting to offer us a string of future bookings. I am a very chuffed bunny this morning. (Happy Chap!)

Soooooooo tired too. Must be getting too old

It's worth it though.

My favourite rugby team GLASGOW WARRIORS just clinched the title last night too!
They've gone from 4th - 3rd - 2nd - Champions! in the last 4 seasons. GO WARRIORS!!

What are the rest of the shedizens up to today?

Gimme - Did you see the vid I linked with the Tornado V Train ?
BUG - I replied to one of your earlier posts....

I shall be doing next to nothing today, by way of letting my auld bones recover from last nights BlonnaHooliganism! (Yes Jacy THAT is a WORD!!! LOL)

G

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 05:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: pheonix358

But they also could not disprove it!

They did.... read on... the roman chariots aren't/weren't even the same gauge as US railroads.

sorry.

G

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 07:18 AM
link   

Lol, is that because the Romans never made it to the US!

This is fun! I am just having fun. It is a good story. Trust the yanks to stuff it up!.

P

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 07:26 AM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

Aye but... "What have the Romans ever done for us??" (Cue Python dialogue in 5, 4, 3....)

edit on 31-5-2015 by Gordi The Drummer because: I wanted to edit video link

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Well yes, but ....

The Romans had some good ideas but they never did any of the work. The public baths were constructed by slaves .. for use by the Romans. They bought Law with them, but that only applied to Romans. The roads were built by slaves at great cost to life. Etc etc.

Then they bought with them other great ideas like slavery and crucifixion and considering everyone that was not a Roman citizen as either a slave or a possession.

You should have seen the look on the teachers face when I did my assignment on the Roman Empire.

Memories of yesteryear.

P

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 09:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

thanks night i really like this one..but still searching for others..i hope your day gets better for you..harry potter i think i might watch them all maybe later..sounds like a plain for me...take care...

edit on 31-5-2015 by ccbears because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Morning every one..Hope you day is going to be tons of fun for you all...take care.

CC

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 09:22 AM
link   
a reply to: ccbears

Good Morning y to You as well CC! Goes the same for everyone!

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 10:02 AM
link   
a reply to: SyxPak

THANKS SYX..

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 10:24 AM
link   
a reply to: ccbears

CC, Naturally, You are Welcome!...

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 10:48 AM
link   
a reply to: SyxPak

:/

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Gordi is a chuffed bunny. LOL I have these visions now of our Gordi with long ears and a short tail.

So glad the band is doing so well Gordi!
Now where is our video of the band? Hmmm?

Hello Pheonix, Syx and CC!

Man, we went from cold Winter to hot Spring. Hot and humid again today. Whatever happened to the in between weather of not cold, not hot, but perfect? We did have them once upon a time. Oh well, spaghetti strap dresses and sandals it is.

Lots of missing folks in here. I really got to get my arse in gear and write an entry for the story soon.

Have a lovely day my dear friends! Hugs!

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 01:26 PM
link   

HEY NIGHT...those flowers and butterflies are so so pretty..makes me feel a little happier..

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Good morning Night and everyone,

I have a lot of catching up to do, in this thread.

Night, I have been wanting to ask you all about
the 'Evening of Ghost Stories And New England Legends'
show that you went to. You are sooo brave!!

But it sound like it would be awesome!: D

I was just playing in Photoshop, and I don't why why I made this -

But I thought I'd show you and if it seems horrible to you, for any reason, I'll delete it..

Love,

bug

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 02:34 PM
link   
i like this avatar...looks like i am looking all over for syx...but i am sure i will change it once again...i just cant find the right one..sorry all...hoping all of you are having a GREAT day...

edit on 31-5-2015 by ccbears because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 03:41 PM
link   
a reply to: BugWhisperer

WOW! With a few minor touch ups, that would be perfect! A tiny bit of touch up on the face, booby area and smaller feet. LOL

What a cool image!!!!!!!!!!

CC, I like the avatar you had before this one better, but your choice. Glad my flowers made you happier!

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 09:09 PM
link   
The wizards agreed to meet up with Night Star and her companions in the elf's chamber at midnight. They would be busy most of the day with other important matters. Hugo and Wolf decided to go out as the rain mattered little to them. Night and Pesky spent hours in the solarium surrounded by exotic plants and special lightening that brightened their moods. Pesky sat in a big yellow flower with her little legs dangling. "Do you think she will come tonight? I mean, what if she doesn't want to be found by the wizards? How do we know it wasn't the Wizards who made her a ghost in the first place and just want to keep an eye on her or something?"

Night sighed. "Don't be so negative Pesky. The Inn keepers spoke highly of the visiting wizards as did various guests that we spoke with. My instincts tell me they are what they appear to be, good and wise wizards and nothing more. I am excited about our gathering tonight." "Well aren't you a face full of happy." replied the pixie. Night suddenly felt a vine softly curl around her hand and from it a voice sounded out. "The ancient trees that grow tall and reach towards the sky...they know where the witch hides. They know where to find the ancient tomes of witchery and dark knowledge. The spell to turn your ghostly being back into a winged elf can be found there. Speak to the trees, the ones who will speak, the ones who will reveal their secrets. Look into the moss at the base of my planter. There is something precious that needs protecting, that can't stay here."

Night gently pulled away at the moss until she found a glowing blue egg. "Is it a bird of some kind?" asked Night. The vine uncurled from the elf's hand. "It is a miniature dragon's egg. He will grow no larger than maybe 4 or 5 inches. They are a very rare breed and there are but a few left in all the world. Guard him with your life and he in return will guard you with his. Do not let the size fool you. It is a magical and enchanting being who is wise and powerful in his own right. Well...he will be...soon." Though the Elf had many questions, the vine remained motionless and silent.

Pesky was so excited, she couldn't stop dancing around. "When will he hatch? What shall we name him? How do we even know it's a him and not a her? How do you care for a mini dragon egg or a baby dragon anyway?" Night couldn't help but to laugh. "I have no clue!" She gently placed the glowing egg into her pocket, questions swirled around in her mind without answers.

edit on 31-5-2015 by Night Star because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 53  54  55    57  58  59 >>

join