It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World’s oldest stone tools discovered in Kenya

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 06:28 PM
link   
I think this is the appropriate forum since we don't have one dedicated only to archeology and paleoanthropology.

World’s oldest stone tools discovered in Kenya

SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA—Researchers at a meeting here say they have found the oldest tools made by human ancestors—stone flakes dated to 3.3 million years ago. That’s 700,000 years older than the oldest-known tools to date, suggesting that our ancestors were crafting tools several hundred thousand years before our genus Homo arrived on the scene. If correct, the new evidence could confirm disputed claims for very early tool use, and it suggests that ancient australopithecines like the famed “Lucy” may have fashioned stone tools, too.

Until now, the earliest known stone tools had been found at the site of Gona in Ethiopia and were dated to 2.6 million years ago. These belonged to a tool technology known as the Oldowan, so called because the first examples were found more than 80 years ago at Olduvai Gorge in Tanzania by famous paleoanthropologists Louis and Mary Leakey. Then, in 2010, researchers working at the site of Dikika in Ethiopia—where an australopithecine child was also discovered—reported cut marks on animal bones dated to 3.4 million years ago; they argued that tool-using human ancestors made the linear marks. The claim was immediately controversial, however, and some argued that what seemed to be cut marks might have been the result of trampling by humans or other animals. Without the discovery of actual tools, the argument seemed likely to continue without resolution.

news.sciencemag.org...

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 06:29 PM
link   
More on the very same news:

Scientists find 'oldest-ever stone tools' dating back 3.3 million years in Kenya

Researchers in California claim to have found the oldest tools ever discovered, and believe the stone implements were fashioned several hundred thousand years before the first humans walked the earth.

The tools were found in Kenya and are thought to date back 3.3 million years, 700,000 years earlier than the oldest-known tools on record, which were discovered in Ethiopia.

Archaeologist Sonia Harmand, of Stony Brook University in New York, said the tools were found during a dig at a site known as Lomekwi 3, just west of Kenya's Lake Turkana.

www.ibtimes.co.uk...

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 06:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Telos

"I make, therefore I am"

Cores, Anvils and Flakes, way cool.

Thanks for posting

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Was that modern us are ancestor of ours.

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 07:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

Ancestor of ours. "Modern humans" aka Homo Sapiens are believed to be only 160,000 to 250,000 years old. But the "homo/hominid" versions like Denisovans, Neanderthals, etc were around before that. And at 3.3 million years ago, I think that goes into the primates that are believed to be the ancestors of hominids.

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 07:45 PM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

Correct. 3.3 million years ago would have been creatures in the genus homo, but far from modern humans, such as australopithecus.

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 07:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Telos
Thanks for posting,
I've been looking for pictures of the tools from the site but they are strangely hard to find.

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 07:51 PM
link   
It's strange. Flaking of tools was used up until three hundred years ago by many people. There are still people making tools this way. Flaked rocks work good for cutting things. I was surprised on how well they worked after finding some here on my land. The little rock knives will cut through raw meat better than a regular kitchen knife. Not as well as a good hard carbon freshly sharpened knife though. I wish I could find an old axe that was completely finished. I suppose I could finish flaking the diabase unfinished blank I found, but there is a little crack in it probably from the ground frost. It's still got the temper to it, maybe an indian that still makes these traditionally will be able to give me info on whether it can still be done.

So not much actually changed in millions of years till we started working with metals.

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Seems it's in the vicinity of another of anthropologist's recent discoveries, the Kenyanthropus platyops, dated to around the same time frame, 3.5 million years ago.

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 07:55 PM
link   
3.3 million years old eh, but but Christianity tells us we've only been here a few thousand years no?

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 08:03 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

I guess you're talking about native Americans?

They didn't have the influence like Europe did at the time though, which is why they used stone blades up until only a few hundred years ago.

I'm sure if given the opportunity, they'd take a metal knife over a stone blade any day.

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 08:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: bullcat
3.3 million years old eh, but but Christianity tells us we've only been here a few thousand years no?

So as a creationist, may I ask the dating methods used. Did it have a date stamp on it, made in kenya logo

I would no doubt suggest just the standard circular reasoning dating method.

Strange how you attack creationists, what dont want peace and quiet?
Just like to be argumentative.
Bit of arrogance, smarter than everyone else.

You know bullcat, why dont you prove its 3.3 million years old, cant? I am not surprised.

You are welcome to believe what you want, believe your dating technology is perfect and can date what you want it to date.,

Why the attack on creationists

Have your thread, have your faith. Just dont get the antagonism?

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 08:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: borntowatch

So as a creationist, may I ask the dating methods used. Did it have a date stamp on it, made in kenya logo

I would imagine the date was approximated based on the strata in which it/they were found. When you find an artifact buried underneath untouched ground that contains material that can be dated, or close estimates can be gleaned from geological factors, that's a good indication of the artifact's date.
edit on 4/14/2015 by AdmireTheDistance because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 09:35 PM
link   

You know bullcat, why dont you prove its 3.3 million years old, cant? I am not surprised.

You are welcome to believe what you want, believe your dating technology is perfect and can date what you want it to date.,

Seeing a brother back himself up, with humble and class.. that's a man right there

I'm a creationist I suppose, though I have never tied such a word to myself; I belive the spiritual forces created the womb/universe.

How? What science? What proof?

Don't worry about it; I'll tell you on the other side when I find out

3.3 million sounds off, by alot. But who knows

posted on Apr, 15 2015 @ 12:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Chadwickus

I guess you're talking about native Americans?

They didn't have the influence like Europe did at the time though, which is why they used stone blades up until only a few hundred years ago.

I'm sure if given the opportunity, they'd take a metal knife over a stone blade any day.

Actually, there were a lot of people even in parts of Europe that were using stone tools about three hundred years ago. Metal tools were very expensive, way above what some farmers could afford so they made some of their tools there out of stone too. I bet that there are still people in this world making stone tools to use in everyday life.

I was a little surprised when I found this stuff out, I just assumed everyone everywhere was using metal tools when metal became available. I guess I was assuming too much.

posted on Apr, 15 2015 @ 02:40 AM
link   

And depending on the type of rock, the stone tools can last a lot longer than the metal ones. Then there's grinding stones, bowls, other tools like that which can last for centuries with proper maintenance (and apparently longer than that, judging by the OP).

posted on Apr, 15 2015 @ 05:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: AdmireTheDistance
a reply to: enlightenedservant

Correct. 3.3 million years ago would have been creatures in the genus homo, but far from modern humans, such as australopithecus.

A. Africanus et al. was not a member of our genus.

They were hominids, however. The had their own genus - Australopethicus.

Maybe it's time to reclassify.

Harte
edit on 4/15/2015 by Harte because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2015 @ 05:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: AdmireTheDistance

I would imagine the date was approximated based on the strata in which it/they were found. When you find an artifact buried underneath untouched ground that contains material that can be dated, or close estimates can be gleaned from geological factors, that's a good indication of the artifact's date.

According to some scientists and this discovery of a pot in a coal seam that was 312 million years old..... look whatever you want to believe is fine by me i dont believe your dating methodology

According to Robert O. Fay of the Oklahoma Geological Survey, the Wilburton mine coal in which the pot was found is about 312 million years old.

thebiggestsecretsoftheworld.blogspot.com.au...

thebiggestsecretsoftheworld.blogspot.com.au...

and yes my information could be wrong but I bet your information cant be wrong?

posted on Apr, 15 2015 @ 05:23 AM
link   

Over defence much?

I never attacked any "creationist" lol

I am simply stating I was taught that we're a few thousand years old and now all these findings (and not just this one) casts a lot of doubt on that.

Over my life I have learnt to embrace EMPIRICAL science, I am not saying spiritual believes have no place, not at all, in fact many things are "spooky at a distance"
Those are things we have yet to understand, and that is where peoples spirituality comes in to play. To give meaning to those things we don't understand.

Nobody is attacking anybody, however, people (myself) are questioning and looking for answers.

Have you stopped looking for answers in a scientific way and fully believe in the creation hypothesis?

I haven't stopped looking for answers.

posted on Apr, 15 2015 @ 05:55 AM
link   

Over defence much?

I never attacked any "creationist" lol

I am simply stating I was taught that we're a few thousand years old and now all these findings (and not just this one) casts a lot of doubt on that.

Over my life I have learnt to embrace EMPIRICAL science, I am not saying spiritual believes have no place, not at all, in fact many things are "spooky at a distance"
Those are things we have yet to understand, and that is where peoples spirituality comes in to play. To give meaning to those things we don't understand.

Nobody is attacking anybody, however, people (myself) are questioning and looking for answers.

Have you stopped looking for answers in a scientific way and fully believe in the creation hypothesis?

I haven't stopped looking for answers.

I just dont understand why your response even came up, what relevance has it to do with the conversation.
Why bring creation into the thread, it was ticking over and you had to troll?

Clearly I disagree with the dating method, it been proven wrong time and again, but why even start on creationists, I dont get it.

and you know what, I embrace EMPIRICAL science as well, so how about proving its EMPIRICAL science

EMPIRICAL science MEANS NOT ASSUMPTION OR BEST GUESS, WELL HAVE FUN, i AWAIT IN EAGER ANTICIPATION the answer

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join