It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ouija Boards?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 06:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: pavmas
I honstly would have nothing at all to do with it' it might seem like you have not got a demon but when you start having bad luck as a family and the family down the road is lucky lucky lucky and their life seems charmed then that might be a clue.

But couldn't the family just have had a random change in fortune without a demon being the cause of it? I mean, things happen. You can have good times and bad times and never have any contact or experience with a Ouija board or demons, right? The only difference is how you choose to define the cause. And if you are convinced that demons are responsible, then it doesn't matter if they're real or not because from then on you're going to define all the bad things as demon-created.

EDIT: My only difference is that I'm not going to tell people to avoid Ouija boards. I don't care what happens to strangers, honestly. And people have to make their own decisions. They can play with dynamite for all I care.
edit on 14-4-2015 by Blue Shift because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 06:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Blue Shift

That makes sense. I think because my S.O. feels so strongly against it that if I were to use it, then anything that happens afterward is going to be seen as a direct result of the board.

Another thing, why is it that on EVIL comes throught? Why can't something be neither?
Why is it always seen as good or bad? There are a lot of gray...

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 06:50 PM
link   
a reply to: mavra81

Objects cannot possess any properties they are not given. The Ouija board is absolutely nothing unless you embue it with power from your beliefs. Now, it may possess things granted it by a former owner. But by itself, just out of the box, it is nothing more than cardboard, ink and plastic.

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 06:57 PM
link   
a reply to: pavmas

A fav trick of demons is to claim they are a child thats been murdered

Funny you should say that. Back when I was younger we "played" around with one and supposedly talked to a child named Mokaz. He was "tragically killed in a fire" at a very young age. Also, questions were answered about a friends past that only he knew the answers to regarding the loss of a loved one. He was not touching the eye, only asking questions. Kinda freaked us all out. One more thing, told me I would die on 10/5/97 if I were in my hometown of Mobile, Al. I was home for break my freshmen year of college when this happened, but I made sure that I was not in town on that date!

This could easily have been friends fooling around with each other and I am open to believe that, but when something tells you that you will die on this day if you are in this place... you tend to listen

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 07:08 PM
link   

The George Noory thing was a PR stunt. He won't ever quit talking about it.
The only thing that manifests with a Ouija board is your subconscious. The more people you have involved, the more bizarre and random it gets. You connect the dots yourself and give it your own meaning.

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 07:10 PM
link   
a reply to: ItCameFromOuterSpace

ZoZo. Repeated phenomenon across the globe. Also relatively well explained.

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 07:21 PM
link   
As I child I played with one with some other children. It was all over the place. As an adult I came across one with a friend while we were cleaning out a basement. We vowed that neither of us would move it, and we didn't. What happened was absolutely nothing. We repeated the process several times, with the same result. At one point we even created the appropriate 'ambiance'; darkened the room and lit a candle. Nada.

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 07:23 PM
link   
a reply to: mavra81

They are a communication tool, untethered, and when used open a portal by proxy of the permission you give by willingly using that device. This portal can be utilized by unfriendly entities, sometimes really unfriendly, to gain entry to your realm, without the proper protections in place.

My partner and I have used one, very interesting experience indeed.

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 07:26 PM
link   
It's a toy. We can trace its history back to when it was created. We also know why it works.

The Strange and Mysterious History of the Ouija Board

Origin

In 1886, the fledgling Associated Press reported on a new phenomenon taking over the spiritualists’ camps in Ohio, the talking board; it was, for all intents and purposes, a Ouija board, with letters, numbers and a planchette-like device to point to them. The article went far and wide, but it was Charles Kennard of Baltimore, Maryland who acted on it. In 1890, he pulled together a group of four other investors—including Elijah Bond, a local attorney, and Col. Washington Bowie, a surveyor—to start the Kennard Novelty Company to exclusively make and market these new talking boards. None of the men were spiritualists, really, but they were all of them keen businessmen and they’d identified a niche.

But they didn’t have the Ouija board yet—the Kennard talking board lacked a name. Contrary to popular belief, “Ouija” is not a combination of the French for “yes,” oui, and the German ja. Murch says, based on his research, it was Bond’s sister-in-law, Helen Peters (who was, Bond said, a “strong medium”), who supplied the now instantly recognizable handle. Sitting around the table, they asked the board what they should call it; the name “Ouija” came through and, when they asked what that meant, the board replied, “Good luck.” Eerie and cryptic—but for the fact that Peters acknowledged that she was wearing a locket bearing the picture of a woman, the name “Ouija” above her head. That’s the story that emerged from the Ouija founders’ letters; it’s very possible that the woman in the locket was famous author and popular women’s rights activist Ouida, whom Peters admired, and that “Ouija” was just a misreading of that.

How it works.

Ouija boards are not, scientists say, powered by spirits or even demons. Disappointing but also potentially useful—because they’re powered by us, even when we protest that we’re not doing it, we swear. Ouija boards work on a principle known to those studying the mind for more than 160 years: the ideometer effect. In 1852, physician and physiologist William Benjamin Carpenter published a report for the Royal Institution of Great Britain, examining these automatic muscular movements that take place without the conscious will or volition of the individual (think crying in reaction to a sad film, for example). Almost immediately, other researchers saw applications of the ideometer effect in the popular spiritualist pastimes. In 1853, chemist and physicist Michael Faraday, intrigued by table-turning, conducted a series of experiments that proved to him (though not to most spiritualists) that the table’s motion was due to the ideomotor actions of the participants.

The effect is very convincing. As Dr. Chris French, professor of psychology and anomalistic psychology at Goldsmiths, University of London, explains, “It can generate a very strong impression that the movement is being caused by some outside agency, but it’s not.” Other devices, such as dowsing rods, or more recently, the fake bomb detection kits that deceived scores of international governments and armed services, work on the same principle of non-conscious movement. “The thing about all these mechanisms we’re talking about, dowsing rods, Oujia boards, pendulums, these small tables, they’re all devices whereby a quite a small muscular movement can cause quite a large effect,” he says. Planchettes, in particular, are well-suited for their task—many used to be constructed of a lightweight wooden board and fitted with small casters to help them move more smoothly and freely; now, they’re usually plastic and have felt feet, which also help it slide over the board easily.

“And with Ouija boards you’ve got the whole social context. It’s usually a group of people, and everyone has a slight influence,” French notes. With Ouija, not only does the individual give up some conscious control to participate—so it can’t be me, people think—but also, in a group, no one person can take credit for the planchette’s movements, making it seem like the answers must be coming from an otherworldly source. Moreover, in most situations, there is an expectation or suggestion that the board is somehow mystical or magical. “Once the idea has been implanted there, there’s almost a readiness to happen.”

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 07:28 PM
link   
a reply to: ItCameFromOuterSpace
i knew someone who was destroyed by one, he used to own a pub, and trade was steady but he never made his fortune.
he got horses from the board the winner of the next days racing only one of 2 a day, they kept winning.

Then it told him not to trust his wife' they argued and eventually things got so bad between them they split up, then the winners were cut down to one a week then they started losing and went up to 3 a week and the guy lost all his friends money pub and family, don't know where he is now but he had a breakdown and someone said he was in a nut house.

They are real and just because you cant see them or have not been affected does not mean it real, Take Iran always on the news, I think its peoples imagination;' I have never seen Iran and I think its in peoples imagination, see you can do it with anything' but people will say Iran is real just like people will say demons are real.

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Funny fact.. I told this story today because I met someone that knew the brother of the person in the story. I almost never tell that story, but I have sometimes because it is unexplainable and freaked both me and alot of our friends out.

Now, I am not very religious.. But this is freaky also from a non-christian standpoint. Immagine my surprise when I discovered this thread now.

Over to the story, and it's a true one.

I got a girlfriend in the small town next to mine. Everyone knew everyone because of it's size. Her best friend was named Tonje (norwegian name). She was a very popular girl, party girl and friends with and knew almost everyone.
One day there was a disco in the community house (what we called the youth party gatherings). My gf was 16, i was 17. And her friend had her 16th bithday that day. She ran around talking to everyone like she usually did, but this time she told everyone that they had played with a ouiji board and asked when she would die. The reply was when she was 18.. She made fun of it, and nobody put much weight to it.
Two years went by.. I got the call..

You guessed it.. She had died in a freak car accident. Her skull was cracked open. The three other people in the car survived. And well.. It was her birthday, she turned 18 the same day.

The grave wake with her friends of course brought up the happening.. The first person to say....do you remember that day when she ran around saying what she said. We were all in disbelief....

I hate ouiji boards, bt I realy don't believe in paranormal stuff either.. But there is no chance that you'd get me to mess with one. I don't know why this could be and how it works, but they must connect to something that is not good.

My advice.. Throw it away. And if you ever asked about your own death, well.. If so I feel sorry for you.

My advice and true story...
edit on 14-4-2015 by br0ker because: spelling

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Well, I will never touch one again.

I'm not frightened at all of them. I actually find them exhilarating and rather fun. But they work a little too well with me and some really bad ish has happened as a result. That's a long story for another time. But yeah I really wouldn't mess too much with those things. Just doesn't seem like a very good idea to me.

Yeah some of the things are true--but some of it's total lies. Whatever talks back is obviously not really who it's saying it is. And seems rather like a wolf in sheep's clothing. That's the clear vibe I've always got from it. Now, things like that excite me. I don't scare easily or for long ever. I find scary things fun. To an extent. These things can mess with your life. Plenty of stories of really bad things happening are out there. Honestly I got away pretty easily. A couple of my friends did not. Plenty of others have not as well. But the majority end up walking away okay because at the end of the day they never believed that it could work--and so it did not.

If you believe then it works. If you don't it's not going to want to believe either. you call the spirit to the board with your INTENT. intent is everything in this game. but when it's a spirit that's moving the oracle or whatever then you know without a doubt nobody who's touching it is moving it, but rather you become certain that it moves on its own. because it does. no matter what you use--a coin, a plastic planchette, an upside down glass, a piece of plastic that's round--the list goes on. I've always made my own boards out of computer paper with the alphabet in pen or pencil and then the numbers and yes no goodbye. Works the same as one of the store bought ones.

Some proof that it really is real? Try to burn one after making contact (actually don't apparently that causes you to get cursed and die--tho i did burn one once) and watch as it doesn't burn easily. Yes computer paper will resist the flame. When it finally burns (or rather, smolders) it will burn white hot like magnesium. I kid you not. Go give it a try if you're not too afraid. Tho you probably will get cursed. It'll be proof though. If that's what's worth it. To each his own

Yup. That's my take on the Ouija. Sorta. Kinda. Partially.

But it's real. Anyone who says otherwise has obviously never really played.

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 07:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

We had already said it was a toy, its the focus to welcome in demons, they can attach to a mirror a teddy a piece of furniture or a board,, any object can be used but the demon must be invited and once in it can attach itself to a person or thing or to the house

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 07:35 PM
link   

If you say so.

I happen to like the scene where they turn the Ouija board upside down and the blind folded participants still move the thing like the board was right side up.

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Your husband seems to either have an irrational fear of Ouiji Boards, or he's used one at some point in his past. I had an experience with one once. I got a bunch of friends together, and we used one at midnight on Halloween in a house that was supposed to be haunted. The icon moved around and answered some questions, and it smelled like sulfur afterward for a few days.

It actually ended up freaking everyone out who had participated, because they thought that I had been moving the piece around, but I hadn't been. There is a theory about them that basically states it is the subconscious moving the piece (not the conscious mind). In the experience I had, the icon was moving pretty fast and furiously, almost like it was pulling everyone else along.

edit on 14pmTue, 14 Apr 2015 19:44:17 -0500kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

link   
a reply to: Vault40

No they muck about with you and create fear' they feed off your fear, but that is a fav of theirs to claim they are a child or a victim like a jew in pow camp, or it you are a group of young lads it will be an 18 year old girl that died in a swimming accident, they lie, they are real. go look at some cases where people have tried this and the results. but don't try it

link   
a reply to: Vault40

No they muck about with you and create fear' they feed off your fear, but that is a fav of theirs to claim they are a child or a victim like a jew in pow camp, or it you are a group of young lads it will be an 18 year old girl that died in a swimming accident, they lie, they are real. go look at some cases where people have tried this and the results. but don't try it

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 07:45 PM
link   

This is a TV program, this program is built on proving fakes, How do you know they do not work for them on the production team.
Anyway we have all said on this thread that the board is a game, its not the board its inviting in a demon, you can do it without a board it just a thing to focus on, a lightbulb, a key, a plant anything even a board, you have to invite the demon in, but once in you will need help to get rid of it.

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 07:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: pavmas

We had already said it was a toy, its the focus to welcome in demons, they can attach to a mirror a teddy a piece of furniture or a board,, any object can be used but the demon must be invited and once in it can attach itself to a person or thing or to the house

This makes a lot of sense - I heard that the Ouiji Board was a doorway, and that the demon could stay around for a while after being invited into the house.

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 07:52 PM
link   

I'm trying to tell you that Oujia boards are just the effect of your subconscious moving the board through suggestions. This is from the Smithsonian link I posted earlier:

But if Ouija boards can’t give us answers from beyond the Veil, what can they tell us? Quite a lot, actually.

Researchers at the University of British Columbia’s Visual Cognition Lab think the board may be a good way to examine how the mind processes information on various levels. The idea that the mind has multiple levels of information processing is by no means a new one, although exactly what to call those levels remains up for debate: Conscious, unconscious, subconscious, pre-conscious, zombie mind are all terms that have been or are currently used, and all have their supporters and detractors. For the purposes of this discussion, we’ll refer to “conscious” as those thoughts you’re basically aware that you’re having (“I’m reading this fascinating article.”) and “non-conscious” as the automatic pilot-type thoughts (blink, blink).

Two years ago, Dr. Ron Rensink, professor of psychology and computer science, psychology postdoctoral researcher Hélène Gauchou, and Dr. Sidney Fels, professor of electrical and computer engineering, began looking at exactly what happens when people sit down to use a Ouija board. Fels says that they got the idea after he hosted a Halloween party with a fortune-telling theme and found himself explaining to several foreign students, who had never really seen it before, how the Ouija works.

“They kept asking where to put the batteries,” Fels laughed. After offering up a more Halloween-friendly, mystical explanation—leaving out the ideomotor effect—he left the students to play with the board on their own. When he came back, hours later, they were still at it, although by now much more freaked out. A few days post-hangover later, Fels said, he, Rensink, and a few others began talking about what is actually going on with the Ouija. The team thought the board could offer a really unique way to examine non-conscious knowledge, to determine whether ideomotor action could also express what the non-conscious knows.

You should read the rest of the article, it goes into how scientists are using the board to test human consciousness. It's pretty neat actually. You have to leave all that demon talk at the door though, because the scientists chalk that up to just your subconscious speaking.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join