It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does Anyone Actually hate Christians??

page: 41
<< 38  39  40    42  43  44 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Let me try this.

You ask an atheist two questions.

Hey atheist!
Do you believe that God exist? - No
Do you disbelieve that God exist? - No

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 09:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

For me, my stance is a god could exist.

However, I have every confidence saying x, y, or z god, doesn't exist.

I don't see any reason to leave room for the possibility of x, y, or z god's existence when nothing claimed about them stands up to scrutiny.

ETA:

If gods turned out to be space aliens or something else, they would cease to be defined as gods. Much like the Wizard of Oz ceased to be the wizard when the curtain was pulled back and his mechanisms discovered.

edit on 4-17-2015 by WakeUpBeer because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 09:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deaf Alien
a reply to: undo

So you're a polytheist? Interesting.

sorta. ;D

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Hey Annee remember this from yesterday??
Michigan Auto Shop Owner Faces Backlash After Declaring He Won’t Serve Gays

We talked about his go fund me scam. Here's the update. lol

GoFundMe Shuts Down Auto Shop Owner's Anti-Gay Campaign

Woops, guess the same scam doesn't work twice in a row huh??? lol lol
edit on 17-4-2015 by mOjOm because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 10:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: WakeUpBeer

For me, my stance is a god could exist.

However, I have every confidence saying x, y, or z god, doesn't exist.

I don't see any reason to leave room for the possibility of x, y, or z god's existence when nothing claimed about them stands up to scrutiny.

ETA:

If gods turned out to be space aliens or something else, they would cease to be defined as gods. Much like the Wizard of Oz ceased to be the wizard when the curtain was pulled back and his mechanisms discovered.

not necessarily since a god is a being with SUPERnatural ability. super just means it's more than natural or artificially enhanced natural ability, above natural ability. an advanced extra-terrestrial could potentially have mastery over other dimensions, phases, wormholes, blackholes, you name it. so i don't think it's that simple of an answer.

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 10:06 PM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

LOL figures. Maybe from now on people will think twice.

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 10:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: mOjOm

Hey Annee remember this from yesterday??
Michigan Auto Shop Owner Faces Backlash After Declaring He Won’t Serve Gays

We talked about his go fund me scam. Here's the update. lol

GoFundMe Shuts Down Auto Shop Owner's Anti-Gay Campaign

Woops, guess the same scam doesn't work twice in a row huh??? lol lol

LOL - - I was just gonna post that.

I think GoFundMe is now out of the anti-gay/religious freedom business.

GoFundMe pulls donation site for MI Diesel Mechanic who would refuse gay customers

THANK GOODNESS!!!

I saw this story break about 2 hours ago and the first thing I thought is this idiot is looking to score a cash jackpot from all the sympathetic bigots through his own gofundme site the same way the pizza owners did in Indiana.

Everyone knows the story about the mechanic so I will just add the part about gofundme...

www.democraticunderground.com...

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 10:18 PM
link   
a reply to: WakeUpBeer
And then you have me.

I am an atheist strictly because I don't believe in the concept of god. At least the way most people use it. I will concede there could be a creator or creators. I will even concede there could be entities with powers or technology beyond our wildest imagination, but they are not gods, in the sense that they should be worshiped or revered. They are just different from you and I.

From my perspective, god is a title which humans give to that which they fear, worship, or revere. I will not bestow that title on any entity. Therefore, I know for myself, there are no gods in existence.

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 10:27 PM
link   
a reply to: undo

I see what you mean but have to disagree.

The way I think of things is like this: Everything has a mechanism. Nothing is without explanation. Of course, we don't know or understand the mechanisms of everything. But they still have them. If an extra terrestrial race has mastery over exploring other dimensions, traveling through wormholes etc., it would be because they discovered and understand the natural mechanisms behind those things.

Likewise there would be some mechanisms behind the abilities of gods. No doubt far from our understanding or comprehension. It's not like we could run experiments, or dissect one in a lab. But a god, nor anything, can't just be capable of doing any number of things without rhyme or reason behind it. Something as super-natural and unfathomable as a god, will always remain a god. Why?

Because supernatural actually means:

A manifestation or event attributed to some force beyond scientific understanding or the laws of nature.

Once we understand the mechanisms behind something, it ceases to be supernatural. Everything in the natural world has a natural explanation. Let's say for the sake of discussion, we learned beyond a shadow of a doubt that all the things man has attributed to gods, turned out to be space aliens. Does that mean the space aliens are now our gods? No. It means we've come to understand what mechanisms were behind the things we called god. They can never be god because god is just a supernatural concept. Never to be truly discovered, but doomed to be redefined generation by generation, for eternity. By humans in various cultures reaching out for higher understanding and explanations for their reality.

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 10:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

My thoughts exactly. Another way (and shorter) of saying what I've tried to say in my above reply to undo. I think anyway.

edit on 4-17-2015 by WakeUpBeer because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 10:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified
And then you have me.

I am an atheist strictly because I don't believe in the concept of god. At least the way most people use it. I will concede there could be a creator or creators. I will even concede there could be entities with powers or technology beyond our wildest imagination, but they are not gods, in the sense that they should be worshiped or revered. They are just different from you and I.

From my perspective, god is a title which humans give to that which they fear, worship, or revere. I will not bestow that title on any entity. Therefore, I know for myself, there are no gods in existence.

Well, I consider myself a Spiritual Atheist - - but I didn't want to confuse the issue.

I've had OBE's and other "experiences" since first memory. I believe there is a energy connection. It could be called "the Force" - - but I'm not going to call it God. When I reference God - - I mean the religious concept.

The Center for Spiritual Atheism: www.centerforabetterworld.com...

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Excellent. You said it a hell of a lot better than me. Glad you posted that.
Redacted content: except I don't believe in the supernatural as god either. It's just beyond our understanding.

edit on 4/17/2015 by Klassified because: Redacted for clarity

edit on 4/17/2015 by Klassified because: Ok. Now wakeupbeer's post looks like he's talking about something that wasn't posted. So... unredacted.

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Well, I consider myself a Spiritual Atheist

Ditto. I have often referred to myself as such. Being an atheist does not preclude one from spirituality.

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 10:36 PM
link   

I don't see what we call the supernatural as "god" either. Where did you get that? If I implied that by mistake I will need to edit!

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 10:38 PM
link   
I don't think you implied it for yourself, but rather that others do. I should have stated that differently. It wasn't aimed at your post. Just my random thoughts while typing.

Something as super-natural and unfathomable as a god, will always remain a god. Why?
Because supernatural actually means: A manifestation or event attributed to some force beyond scientific understanding or the laws of nature.

That's where I picked it up. There's nothing wrong with the way you stated it.
edit on 4/17/2015 by Klassified because: edit times 2

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 10:39 PM
link   

We are the same actually. I think we are all spirits. Spirituality doesn't have to mean there's a god.

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Ah, no problem.

I meant to say that gods will always remain in the supernatural realm because their divine attributes can never be studied and understood. If "god" could ever be studied and understood he would cease to be a god too.

Because god by definition is supernatural. Or so it's often claimed.

For some reason I'm reminded of original Star Trek and the episodes about Apollo and why he can't go back to Earth. Iirc it was because humans had advanced in understanding and would no longer worship him as a god because they had come to understand, he never was one.

edit on 4-17-2015 by WakeUpBeer because: grammar + new line

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 10:49 PM
link   
I love that episode, and an excellent example.
Hope you don't mind. I'm going to do a capture of your post above and save it. Well said, and deserves an applause.

edit on 4/17/2015 by Klassified because: ETA

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Thank you.

And screen cap away, if you want. I don't mind.

It's a public forum after all.

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 11:11 PM
link   

1. jesus mentioned it wouldn't always be a case of not knowing, for humans.
2. i think worship means work for.

top topics

<< 38  39  40    42  43  44 >>

join