It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does Anyone Actually hate Christians??

page: 37
<< 34  35  36    38  39  40 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 01:36 PM
link   
I can 'love the sinner, but hate the sin' with the best of them.

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 01:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: grandmakdw

Those who take a 70 year old woman who employs gay people to court because she didn't want to do a gay wedding, when there were plenty of other florists around.

She broke a state law. What does her age have to do with anything?

She was given plenty of time to correct her actions and adhere to the state law.

She refused. Her fault.

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 02:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: AngryCymraeg

Not sure where you're going with the global warming bit. If you mean global climate change the science is increasingly indisputable that a) it's happening and that b) human industrial activity is playing a major part in it.

Al Gore will have the last laugh.

I don't understand the animosity toward Environmentalists and Environmentalist Activist.

Hasn't everyone seen Sagan's "Pale Blue Dot"? We live on a "rock" in the middle of nothingness. Its all we've got.

But, what does that have to do with hating Christians? Or not?

edit on 17-4-2015 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 02:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: miketofdal

What sin? For the unbeliever, there is no such thing as sin. As an unbeliever, I find this Christian axiom insulting. I'm not aiming that at you personally. Just addressing the statement.
edit on 4/17/2015 by Klassified because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 02:05 PM
link   

a reply to: grandmakdw

So you're accusing everyone of being a hypocrite are you?

Let me restate my own case. I'm an atheist. I don't hate religious people. I just want to be left alone. I also want religious people to stop misrepresenting my position based on their own biases, such as by claiming that as an atheist I MUST hate Christians. I don't.

DITTO

My position is separation of church and state.

Religion and politics - - - not individuals.

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 02:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

Let me restate my own case. I'm an atheist. I don't hate religious people. I just want to be left alone. I also want religious people to stop misrepresenting my position based on their own biases, such as by claiming that as an atheist I MUST hate Christians. I don't.

DITTO

exactly. using religion to determine our rights and our punishments, to determine what we mean as individuals and a society, and to determine where and how authority is given. we the people have no voice when god is involved.

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 02:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified
Incorrect. The bible itself is the standard I am using. Yes, I do believe most Christians do not understand what they are agreeing to, and are complicit in when they become Christians. Few have read and understand the "fine print".

In my experience, a congregation listens to how their leader interprets the bible.

The pastor will reference a specific passage - - - then tell you what it means.

Few (if any) in the congregation will take it upon themselves to actually research the bible passage to see if they agree with the interpretation.

Blind faith.

NOTE: I did take it upon myself to research extensively. Which is one reason I am now atheist.

edit on 17-4-2015 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 02:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee
Exactly.

NOTE: I did take it upon myself to research extensively. Which is one reason I am now atheist.

That seems to have worked for many of us. Lol.

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 02:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: miketofdal

What sin? For the unbeliever, there is no such thing as sin. As an unbeliever, I find this Christian axiom insulting. I'm not aiming that at you personally. Just addressing the statement.

Me too.

If there's hate - - it's toward that stupid saying.

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Exactly.

Isn't it interesting to go in search of answers - - - find answers - - - but not exactly the ones you were searching for.

When I completely stepped out of the "God circle" - - - it was like this huge weight was lifted off me. I began Living. Living each moment of life. Everything mattered.

I was no longer going through the motions of a man-made ideology for some reward when life ended. To be judged if I was good or bad by some mystical imaginary being, How bizzare!

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 02:45 PM
link   

DITTO

Talking of church and state, Im quickly coming to the opinion that the right/left politics is replacing religion.
Kids grow up with their parents political leanings thrust upon them, both sides are always evangelizing how great their "ideology" is, to the detriment of the others. Most believers in the political ideologies dont read manifestos, or understand the ideology the subscribe to. The poor to the left the rich to the right, its like its written in stone.
But I ask, who represents the people with free thought and more than two braincells to rub together?
Oh yes, no one, because free thought is bad, just like in religion.

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Exactly.

Isn't it interesting to go in search of answers - - - find answers - - - but not exactly the ones you were searching for.

When I completely stepped out of the "God circle" - - - it was like this huge weight was lifted off me. I began Living. Living each moment of life. Everything mattered.

I was no longer going through the motions of a man-made ideology for some reward when life ended. To be judged if I was good or bad by some mystical imaginary being, How bizzare!

Haha, funnily Im going through a similar thing right now with the troof movement.
It seems that most of the troof movement is controlled opposition and outright fantasy, designed to encourage distrust and promote revolutionary and treasonous ideas. Cointelpro is the troof movement.

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Total opposite for me, and for many I know.

The more research I did - the more I educated myself about the history and origin of my faith, the more I examined what I learned against my own personal experience and understanding, the clearer God became in the Universe, in our Earth, in our Church and in my life.

I'd put the time I've invested in learning more about my faith toe to toe with anybody on this site.

From my perspective, a person who describes himself as an atheist is the definition of blind.

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 02:49 PM
link   

....it was like this huge weight was lifted off me. I began Living. Living each moment of life. Everything mattered.

And yet you spend an inordinate amount of time arguing back and forth in front of your computer about how terrible religion is.

Sadly ironic.

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 02:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Seamrog

Total opposite for me, and for many I know.

The more research I did - the more I educated myself about the history and origin of my faith, the more I examined what I learned against my own personal experience and understanding, the clearer God became in the Universe, in our Earth, in our Church and in my life.

I'd put the time I've invested in learning more about my faith toe to toe with anybody on this site.

From my perspective, a person who describes himself as an atheist is the definition of blind.

The idea of God, and religion are 2 different things.
For example Yahweh, Jehovah and God are 3 names for the same being.
A belief in God doesnt require religion, it just requires the question "Why does the universe exist?"
Or "How does something come from nothing?"

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 02:53 PM
link   
webtv.un.org...

The Persecution of Christians Globally: A Threat to International Peace and Security

Persecution of Christians Is Among the ‘Greatest Crises in the Modern Age’

www.charismanews.com...

UN web TV

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 02:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Seamrog

....it was like this huge weight was lifted off me. I began Living. Living each moment of life. Everything mattered.

And yet you spend an inordinate amount of time arguing back and forth in front of your computer about how terrible religion is.

Sadly ironic.

Somebody has to.
The reigious are usually telling us we will burn in hell for all eternity for not buying into their self righteous fairy tales.
Nothing ironic at all. "Every action has an equal and opposite reaction"

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 02:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Stormdancer777
webtv.un.org...

The Persecution of Christians Globally: A Threat to International Peace and Security

Persecution of Christians Is Among the ‘Greatest Crises in the Modern Age’

www.charismanews.com...

UN web TV

And what of the persecution of homosexuals?
Or the persecution of minorities?
What of the persecution of Satanists?
And the persecution of "heathens"?
And muslims?
Isnt unleashing the self righteous justice of the west upon the middle east not the biggest threat to international peace?
I was under the impression that "terrorism" was the biggest threat to global stability, and who exactly has the biggest stick and isnt afraid to terrify nations to submit to their will?

edit on 20154America/Chicago04pm4pmFri, 17 Apr 2015 15:01:03 -05000415 by OneManArmy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Well, you just HAD to go and make a post with some good points, didn't you?

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Many things can be used for bad. That doesn't make them inherently bad though.

I am speaking about a process, rather than a tool. If it is used consciously, it would only be by those with a direct interest in dividing and conquering. The social groups themselves are not aware of it.

If someone attempts to murder you, hate crime or not, it is still against the law. That person will go to jail for their transgression. He/She will pay for it. Making it a hate crime, is actually kind of silly.

Definitely agree on the hate crime stuff. I don't even see it being applied equally, which I suppose that should be expected inherently.

Beyond that though, what I am speaking towards has little, if anything, to do with legalities. It is more focused on interactions between social groups, which tends to be a self regulating process that operates beyond any written law.

The only other social groups I can see that happening to are white people and males.

Currently, in the US, those are some of the more well known groups. Historically though, we can garner many more examples to learn from.

What you are describing above is really just describing human nature. Humans have pretty much evolved to seek out group behavior and part of group behavior is maximizing the differences in people outside your group while minimizing them for the people in your group.

I have never really bought into "original sin." I actually view these things to be a product of our cultural story rather than an intrinsic, unchangeable part of our nature. Only recently have the tools been available to move beyond it.

The key is to get all humans to think of all other humans as the same group. That is easier said than done though. Force doesn't work. Genocide doesn't work. Hate doesn't work. But unfortunately it is hard to overcome the baser instincts of anger that comes along with these feelings.

I would much rather pursue a course that lends respect towards other viewpoints. Meaning, rather than any group whatsoever, it focuses specifically on how the social groups interact. Beauty in diversity and all that.. Regardless, both approaches might yield the same results, and both are equally unlikely in our cultural story.

No it doesn't propose that at all.

Perhaps not directly, but that is how it works out in reality. At least historically.

Though I will say it is MUCH rarer for the minority to be able to discriminate against the majority than it is for the reverse.

Do you really think so? It could be argued that nearly every government and nation in the modern arena operates as an oligarchy. It could also be argued, though with less of an evidenced case, that this small minority encourages conflict as long as it isn't directed towards them.

Only if you strive to access it. Everyone has the entire internet of knowledge at their fingertips yet most continue to isolate themselves in bubbles of confirmation bias fueled by certain media outlets that influence their bubble. The internet should theoretically tear down group barriers, yet it is being used to reinforce them.

We all have direct access to the universe around us, and while scientific findings may be communicated on the general Internet, I find very little science actually happening there. Most just Google things, then accept them as truth, as you say. I rarely hear of people in the general public actually doing science like experiments, etc. When was the last time you did a scientific experiment to learn something, offline? There aren't too many who have!

No, I am describing proper usage of the scientific method. Scientists are human and prone to error. It should never be assumed that all scientists will obey the scientific method 100% all the time. It is inconceivable. But one should try to strive to do so anyways. Assume nothing. Look for answers through evidence gathered. It is much better method of describing things than guessing 100% of the time.

Totally agree! But it doesn't have much to do with the point I was making. You are a assuming a base of knowledge with no personal experience, which gives
you the perceived ability to comment on the situation. Proper scientific method would dictate you to collect all of those scientists datawork to prove your hypothesis. If you have done this, I would actually love to look over the methodology and results.

It was actually using the scientific method that I determined God exists. It's just the how and what that remains unclear and indeterminate. But, if we use strict parameters based on the known, there is a system that is directly identified by those parameters. At that point, it just becomes a matter of answering "does it matter, and if so, why?"

Science, math, and history are all deep hobbies of mine.

That's great! What hypotheses are you currently working on with the scientific method? Or am I assuming a bit too much and you enjoy following the science others have done rather than perform it yourself? There is nothing wrong with either one, but it has become increasingly difficult to find individuals who are more interested in participating in science than reading about it online.

My answer has to do with education and taking emotion out of the equation. To be honest, I try to be as emotionless with my responses as possible. Certainly at times my emotions leak through (I am human after all), but emotion just clouds your thinking. It lets you accept anecdotes as viable evidence of a situation. It lets you justify the most inhumane. The best way to overcome this is with education.

I absolutely agree, education is in pretty bad shape right now. From religious schools to public schools, it all seems more focused on agenda than educating our *future*. Along with everything else, I am working on redesigning an educational system, based on the same concepts of interacting social groups. I looked for input on here, but there wasn't much. Significant progress has been made in all categories, but I have little interest in sharing any of it on ATS anymore.

And that was actually due to an erroneous assumption on my part. This forum is mainly focused on point-counter point conversations rather than cooperative discovery.

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Hate?

An ancient civilization is being annihilated, more Christians have been murdered and brutalized in the modern age than any other, a strange silence, where is the universal outcry?

Remember those that are in chains

What would you do if in you neighborhood ?

And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

<< 34  35  36    38  39  40 >>

join