It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Minimum wage in the U.S.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2004 @ 07:53 PM
link   
no.no.no are u speaking of plastic surgeons? abviously not regular,serving the un or underinsured public docs! the malpractice insurance they have to buy is ridiculous! i know plenty good docs that make under 60 grand a year.......they deserve more. RNs make an average of 19-20 an hour...hardly worth the hours,the heartache,the work,or the education that is required. we are taught as americans to pursue riches...an upper-class lifestyle,but why then is min wage so low. it is disheartening to most.
no wonder public servants have the highest stress rate(cops,healthcare,childcare,ect) these people deserve more for pursuing knowledge and caring for and protecting the US citizens...but yet the FRIENDS cast was making millions each season. how backward and really if u think about it...completely insane.

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Judging from your opinions, I can presume that you're more of a Marxist in that you're after the better of everyone. Unfortunately, American society is not structured this way. Welcome to the world of capitalism!

One must imagine how many out there are going to end up starring in a show such as "Friends" though. Hence, this is why people work and become educated. Not everyone gets lucky enough to get into pro sports or Hollywood.

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 12:36 AM
link   
shots says:

"Yes I am reading what you are saying, and no I disagree that raising the minimum wage will rase the cost of living."

Shots, every time the minimum wage has been raised, there has been a correspoinding increase in the cost of living, usually manifested in three to six months.

Think about it: if my wage goes up from $5 to $7/hr, I will have an additional $2/hr or $80/week to spend on something I couldn't afford before. It might be a new Martin guitar or a better apartment.

If it's the former, you will see a lot of people just like me, with an extra $80/week in discretionary income, trying to buy Martin guitars. Problem is, old CF Martin IV is not going to magically ramp up production, and, with more people chasing fewer guitars, the prices will rise -- and well they should, because people will be competing (and "bidding" against one another) for those Martins. When you have more people chasing the same amount of things (or the same amount of people chasing fewer thingies, the price of those thingies goes up -- always.

[edit on 27-12-2004 by Off_The_Street]

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 05:37 AM
link   
But just what is stopping people from buying the guitars now? Even my unemployed son could probably get a credit card if he wanted to, my cat probably could too!! We are being deludged with credit offers! I can only assume that this means that the powers that be wants us buying lots of Guitars......or whatever else we want...but please god, let us have a whopper of a christmas shopping season so the illusion of a good economy can continue on!! So you are saying that us buying our guitars with our own money isn't good for the economy, it will cause inflation? What do you do, work for a bank?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join