It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK jets sent to intercept Russian aircraft near British airspace

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 11:41 AM
link   

(CNN)The UK Royal Air Force on Tuesday scrambled jets to intercept Russian bombers flying near British airspace, the British Defence Ministry said.

Further details about the incident weren't immediately available. It is one of the latest incidents in what NATO has said is an increase in Russian military flights near alliance members' territory.

In November, NATO said its members' jets had been scrambled more than 400 times in 2014 to intercept Russian military flights close to members' territories -- a 50% increase over the previous year. The increase harkens back to the days of the Cold War, NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg said November 20 during a visit to NATO member Estonia.

UK jets intercepted more than 100 Russian aircraft last year, according to the British Defence Ministry.

CNN

Well things continue to heat up with Russia. This is the first time I can remember the news reporting an intercept as it occurs, usually we just hear about them after the fact.

The fact that we're hearing about it in real-time worries me for some reason...

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 11:45 AM
link   
a reply to: gatorboi117

There goes the big Russian bear, rattling his saber again (not that America never does that or anything).

Things definitely seem to be heating up on the international stage though...

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 11:46 AM
link   
In the days of the Cold War (should probably call it Cold War 1) this was a weekly occurrence. Now we are in Cold War 2 it is once again becoming a regular thing. But don't worry the Royal Marines are still in Arbroath ready to speed over to Norway and defend NATOs northern flank.

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 11:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: gatorboi117

(CNN)The UK Royal Air Force on Tuesday scrambled jets to intercept Russian bombers flying near British airspace, the British Defence Ministry said.

Further details about the incident weren't immediately available. It is one of the latest incidents in what NATO has said is an increase in Russian military flights near alliance members' territory.

In November, NATO said its members' jets had been scrambled more than 400 times in 2014 to intercept Russian military flights close to members' territories -- a 50% increase over the previous year. The increase harkens back to the days of the Cold War, NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg said November 20 during a visit to NATO member Estonia.

UK jets intercepted more than 100 Russian aircraft last year, according to the British Defence Ministry.

CNN

Well things continue to heat up with Russia. This is the first time I can remember the news reporting an intercept as it occurs, usually we just hear about them after the fact.

The fact that we're hearing about it in real-time worries me for some reason...

Yeah....I can't remember the last time I heard about it in real time. Not a big fan of these things, but from what members in the know, like Zaphod, typically say, this is likely a usual occurrence.

Though I guess I will have to wait for him to post here to find out.

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Off the top, My take on it is just more media hype, be it a slow news day or a dis-direct from issues they wish to avoid/down-play.

FYI, Putin decreased-again- his 'order' of the much vaunted, PAK-FA fighter for 2016 to twelve planes. TWELVE!

Yet again, more hype on Russian technology and military strength. The engine planned for the PAK-FA will only be bench-tested next year! If it cuts the mustard, and that's a big 'if', at best it only matches the F-119/F-135 currently is use by the U.S. in their F-22s and F-35s. The F-119 being well over 20 years old and the 'ADVENT' engine is already developed for either F-35 upgrades and/or 6th Gen fighter development.

Sword rattling is effective and has been going on since the first days of the cold war. It continues today if for no other reason than media hype and fear-mongering....(hint, hint)

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 11:54 AM
link   
It's in real-time because they want to push this Cold War propaganda even further.
Classic for MSM and their handlers.
Wake me up when actual air space being breached, otherwise nothing out of the ordinary is happening.

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 11:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

The only difference is the number is increasing. But they're trying to rebuild a military so they have to train hard.

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Social media is making it increasingly impossible to keep secrets for the govs.

Might as well just tell us then answer the barrage of questions why they didn't tell us.

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 12:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: Vasa Croe

The only difference is the number is increasing. But they're trying to rebuild a military so they have to train hard.

That is the way I look at it as well.

Though they are just giving us extra training time also.

The UK has a long proud history of very good pilots and interceptor abilities.

Probably not the best idea for Russia to give them more practice.

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Meh.. they did it all the time back in the old cold war days... nothing new and nothing to worry about ...

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 12:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: nwtrucker

Off the top, My take on it is just more media hype, be it a slow news day or a dis-direct from issues they wish to avoid/down-play.

The BBC regularly reports on these events, regardless of what else might be happening. Do you really think this is not in the public interest?

The point about all of this, whether posters here want to acknowledge it or not, is that we have not seen this level of activity since the Cold War. It is most certainly increasing, and it's intended to threaten, inconvenience and test responses. Generally, you don't behave like this unless you believe you need to be preparing for war. Whether that's a belief that you're going to be attacked, or an active intention to prepare for a war you plan to start, it is a preparation for that encounter.

I'm not worried about these visits by Russia, they can't do much more than poke around. I am however concerned about what this means in the bigger scheme of things.

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 12:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Rocker2013

I suppose it is a new thing for the U.K.(?), at least the frequency of it?

Not so much in the U.S.. I sit in Anchorage after each trip to Alaska and met personnel at the local 'cafe' frequented by AF crew and Alaska Airline Pilots-most in the guard units and flew both 22s and airliners-they kept 4 F-22s hot and idling 24/7
as Russian and U.S. airspace meet with no buffer what so ever.

When you say "what this means in the larger scheme of thing" , could you clarify what it is you think this means in that larger scheme?

I'm old enough to think this isn't even enough to bother with. The real cold war makes this not even worth mentioning. U.K.'s AF is on the job. There isn't much Russia could do conventionally to the U.K. that I can see. Defending the isles is relatively easy compared to attacking them....

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 01:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

"Comrade, that is a Euro-fighter. If you see one, your probably as good as dead."
End of training....

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 01:03 PM
link   
yes as others say this happens all the time slightly more frequent in recent time , but the Bear likes to snarl at the Lion

Q

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Its all media huff and nonsense IMO.
I reckon the Russians and us Brits are in contact and know whats going on in the airspace.
Most of these recent so called "incursions" are nothing more than training and gaming IMO.

The media like to make it a big deal,but really its not.

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 01:14 PM
link   
And there's a Russian Destroyer in the English Channel at the moment.....coming back from the Med....
The RN are monitoring as we speak.....

Good old Ruskies....

PDUK

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Key words..

NEAR uk airspace.

INTERCEPT, but not forced to land.

All you people must love NATO so much you love paying the fuel bill.

How much does each intercept cost?

Wonder how many it will take to make a dent in their wallet.

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 01:27 PM
link   
According to official figures RAF jets have been scrambled to deter Russian planes 88 times from 2005 to 2014, including 8 times last year.

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 01:29 PM
link   
It's all irrelevant though whilst the UK has a nuclear deterrent........ Last line of defence and MAD assured......

PDUK

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 01:46 PM
link   
a reply to: bullcat

It's all allowed for in the budget. It would take a lot more than they've had to do to make a dent.

And no one ever suggested they were forced to land so what does that part of your post have to do with anything?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join