It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My gaming PC will not start (HELP)

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 09:59 AM
link   
a reply to: proob4

Try booting it with the motherboard's video and see what happens. Could it have had condensation on it when you booted?

I'd start small and work your way to bigger possible issues.
edit on 14-4-2015 by Antipathy17 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 10:33 AM
link   
If your monitor says no signal AND there is no "beep" to load the bios I would start by replacing the battery on the motherboard.

A non working cpu would show up in the bios regardless of graphics card as would any other problems.

Keep checking and keep us updated.

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 01:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: eriktheawful
Even sitting for a year, things can happen: temperature variations can cause things to expand and contract, corrosion from moisture in the air can still happen, and, batteries on a MB can drain.

I would trying reseating everything: the memory sticks, the video card (and any other cards you have in there), unplug, and replug in all the power connectors from the power supply. I'd even remove the CPU cooling fan, unseat the CPU and reseat it, then put the cooling fan back.

Try all that and see if it boots up after that. If not, I'd take a look a your MB's battery, if it's one that can be replaced, do so.

This. Sometimes just unplugging everything and reassembling it will fix these weird problems. It worked for me so many times.

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Lots of good suggestions in this thread.Another thing to try, is plugging it in another outlet at seeing what happens.This is a rather mundane suggestion, but you never know if there are issues with the outlet.
edit on 14-4-2015 by dffrntkndfnml because: spelling

edit:Remembered something else, if your motherboard has on board video, you can test that output too and that may help narrow down the issue to the graphics card or something else before doing a more thorough inspection.
edit on 14-4-2015 by dffrntkndfnml because: remembered other edit

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 02:43 PM
link   

the cmos battery keeps the time and settings and is not realy paramount to the pc working, you can open it up and check all the bits and bobs, but it normally is just a monitor setting, but if you would rather strip it down first rather than check the simplest thing go ahead, been through this many times, good luck, its annoying when our babies stop working

have been building pcs since the 286 days

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Thanks everyone for your input. I did however take it apart and test the CMOS battery and it held 3 volts. I did notice the heavy brick graphics card seemed loose, pushed it firmly into the PCI slot, now that i remember it didn't never seem like it ever firmly lock in. I am hoping this is the problem. Got side tracked also. Did what i could today. I still haven't tried to boot it up again (got to reconnect all the wires and monitor). I will let you all know if this was successful or not when I get time again to mess with it.

Sorry busy day, just wanted to post and get some Idea's so when I had time I could mess with it.
edit on 4/14/15 by proob4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 07:24 PM
link   
One suggestion was to unplug CPU fan. DO NOT TAKE OFF HEATSYNCH IF YOU DON'T HAVE THERMAL PASTE. If you do have to take off your CPU fan and sync, which you shouldn't, reapply thermal paste. Always better to be safe than sorry.

Also, I had the same problem you describe and 500$+ later I realized I completely forgot to plug a little modular plug to the CPU power input on Mobo. So look around for that perhaps.
edit on 14-4-2015 by Flesh699 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2015 @ 02:00 AM
link   
If there are no beeps then it's possible the CPU is not plugged in or seated properly. That will not give a beep with most MBs.

posted on Apr, 15 2015 @ 07:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Sounds like you need a new power supply at the minimum.
Well my Gaming PC is up and running, The issue like most suggested to pull the sticks, graphic card I think played a issue. See it all started when i wanted to take my PC out of storage and get some files off it to put on a new backup drive. I have a new TV with HDMI inputs and a VGA input.

So I have my shoebox mini ITX board based HTPC and my XBOX 360 already hooked up in the 2/3 HDMI inputs.
So I wanted to run my Gaming PC through my new TV by VGA input. But my graphics card is only two DVI outputs. So i bought a VGA to DVI converter plug. Upon a desktop investigation and mild disassembly I realized the VGA cable is corrupted.
This probably contributed to the problem along with the loose video card and also a loose stick.

I do and do have it running fine. And I want to thank all of you for your help!

Except one, Krazyshot. Your comment "Sounds like you need a new power supply at the minimum."
I explained the error of my Power Supply and mentioned it was always a issue and my PC always worked through that mishap. Your comment "at the minimum" was reckless and insulting at the least.

I like your post's on legalization, maybe that's your niche?
But as far as PC repair, I think you should stand down and let the real people who know about this stuff offer advice.
But thanks anyway.

edit on 4/15/15 by proob4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2015 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Glad you are up and running. When my wife gets a job I need a new one

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 07:40 AM
link   

That wasn't necessary. I made that comment long before you had adequately described the situation. From what you described to me it sounded like your power supply had been working but when you turned it on it wasn't working now. So that's why I said that. I happen to work in IT buddy. I've talked to tons of people who tell me that such and such is working or is fine but it turns out that is the problem all along after I look at it.

This is why I don't like diagnosing people's PC problems over the internet or even the phone. I'd rather be looking at it. So get over yourself. Your crap is working now.
edit on 16-4-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 02:02 PM
link   
a reply to: TinkerHaus

I thought he has tried the obvious before starting a thread.
And what´s the hassle with a multimeter?
It´s not like some super complicated device, you can check this in mere seconds.
For me it´s not silly.

BTW, I wrote that he should first try reseating. So I think you missunderstand.
And I wrote the edit seconds after my post when the page reloaded and I saw krazyshot commenting on reseating things first.
And someone thought apparently I wrote that he should remove the cpu. In fact there is a "NOT".
edit on 16-4-2015 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 03:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: verschickter

It´s not like some super complicated device, you can check this in mere seconds.
For me it´s not silly.

And I wrote the edit seconds after my post when the page reloaded and I saw krazyshot commenting on reseating things first.
And someone thought apparently I wrote that he should remove the cpu. In fact there is a "NOT".

Did I say a multimeter was complicated? I diagnose and repair automation equipment all day long - I was not insinuating it's difficult to test voltage, resistance, or throughput..

I was just saying that it's silly to go to this extent without first doing some very basic troubleshooting.

OP - glad you got it figgured out. And yes, I spelled that wrong on purpose.

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 11:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

That wasn't necessary. I made that comment long before you had adequately described the situation. From what you described to me it sounded like your power supply had been working but when you turned it on it wasn't working now. So that's why I said that. I happen to work in IT buddy. I've talked to tons of people who tell me that such and such is working or is fine but it turns out that is the problem all along after I look at it.

This is why I don't like diagnosing people's PC problems over the Internet or even the phone. I'd rather be looking at it. So get over yourself. Your crap is working now.

I wasn't trying to be a asshole, I thought you was? And there you go again with "Your crap is working now" Is it crap? Do you know that for fact?
See that is what I was getting at your perfunctory response "At the minimum" (already biased that my stuff is crap, no less) and your scintillating details of what you think you know.(btw a ton of people in America is like maybe 5-6 individuals)

Seriously can you stop being so condescending and pretentious?

You said "This is why I don't like diagnosing people's PC problems over the Internet or even the phone."
Then why bother? I think i explained it good enough above.
edit on 4/17/15 by proob4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 12:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: verschickter

For me it´s not silly.

Your advice was sound and I appreciated it. Thank you.

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 07:32 AM
link   

I wasn't trying to be an asshole until you made the asshole remarks. I was just trying to help. You are a perfect example of why I don't like helping people online with their tech information. Good day.
edit on 17-4-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 09:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t
Well ok. have a nice day.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join