It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Armed Robbery / Home Invasion: Judge sentence is Probation?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 11:24 PM
link   
So, an armed (handgun) home invasion in which a couple with a 3 year old are robbed at gunpoint in their own home.

Assailant sentenced to "5 years probation".

www.courier-journal.com...

See Newspaper Article link for the full details and video:

Judge slams victims for tot's 'black men' fear
Andrew Wolfson, @adwolfson 11:29 p.m. EDT April 10, 2015

Jordan and Tommy Gray's 3-year-old daughter was watching "SpongeBob" when two armed men broke into their home near Buechel on March 21, 2013, and robbed them at gunpoint.

Two years later, when one of the offenders was about to be sentenced, Jordan wrote in a victim impact statement that her daughter was still "in constant fear of black men." Both robbers were African-American.

In an email, Ronald Rotunda, a law professor at Chapman University in Orange, Calif., and the author of a widely used course book on legal ethics, said Stevens violated the Code of Judicial Conduct, both by using the prestige of his office to further his personal interests and by commenting on a pending case on Facebook. "The judge, acting like a pop psychologist, decides to attack the little girl and her parents," Rotunda said. "Then, after the judge … has a chance to cool down … he goes on Facebook and does it all over again.

The judge should be a little more judicious." Jeffrey Shaman, who teaches at Chicago's DePaul University law school and once ran the Center for Judicial Conduct Organizations, said judicial criticism of victim impact statements could discourage victims from "participating in the criminal justice system and ensuring that their voices will be heard."

Indiana University law professor Charles Geyh said that while it is not intrinsically wrong for a judge to criticize a victim — such as the instigator of a bar fight — given Stevens' emotional reaction in court and on Facebook, he arguably should have disqualified himself because his impartiality might be questioned.

edit on 13-4-2015 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 11:40 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

This is why the System is corrupt. Too many innocents are in prison are petty crimes while the really guilty ones such as this robber and bankers go free.

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 11:51 PM
link   
a reply to: starwarsisreal

I was thinking the same thing. Armed Robbery gets this guy probation (I believe due to the Judges bias and lack of impartiality) but some pills or weed could land someone in prison?

This is ARMED Freeking Robbery with firearm for # sake! Seriously?
edit on 13-4-2015 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 11:51 PM
link   
I really don't understand why the judge was upset. It seems that the parents are upset by this if it was included in the victim statement. They are upset that their daughter is now fearful. He's mad that they just "accept" it? I highly doubt that they're just accepting it. You can't force a child to not fear something. What's next, bitch about the parents of a child who was raped by a male and now fears men?

If anything the judge should have been pissed off at the black guys for breaking in and scarring a child so badly that she is now terrified of an entire race.

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 12:04 AM
link   
This is absolutely disgraceful! That the judge would even bring up some innocent fear of a little kid like that, then have the audacity to let it influence his decision. I mean, she's just a kid, what does she know about being politically correct?

As far as I'm concerned the only racist one is him. Technically speaking, it shouldn't have even mattered if the victims were members of the goddamn KKK. House invasion is one of the lowest forms of crime and anyone that does it should be locked away for years.

Meanwhile, while these lowlifes are off partying, celebrating how easy they got off, some low level non-violent drug offender is doing hard time.

It just blows my mind!

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 12:05 AM
link   
Hate to break it to you there judge but a bunch of victims of black on white crime would feel this way idiot.

Bet me being white could as well put the fear into a 3 year old black kid making him feel unsafe around other white guys..

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Gotta love the advertisement for the judge at the end of that vid.....probation for armed robbery....really ?....that judge is so far off the planet,he needs to come back down to earth and smell the bull# that he is shoveling...

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 12:18 AM
link   
Listen, it's kid gloves all the way. You ought to hear how the story of Anthony Stokes was painted on the tele screen.

www.dailymail.co.uk... html

Anthony had been given a new heart because various groups stood up for him despite his criminal record and his inability to manage the medicines he was supposed to be using for his failing one. Just look at his face book images, an absolute angel.

So on the news there comes this tragic story about how Anthony just died in a horrific car crash. They show the remains of a car and tree and the story is told about how he was fleeing from police when he struck a pedestrian and hit a tree at high speed.

"It all began with a home invasion," the moron chirped, and only at the very end of the report.

It all began with a home invasion-oh, that explains everything. As if home invasions were just some random everyday encounter we all go through from time to time, in which Anthony shot at a lady in her own home before taking off in someone else's car, hitting a pedestrian, and dying when the car he was fleeing in hit a tree. I really wonder how this story made the light of day.

# 414

edit on 14-4-2015 by TheWhiteKnight because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 12:21 AM
link   
Who gives a damn if he's offended. That child has been traumatized!

He should be dis-barred and removed from the Bench for bias and his blatant racism, telling someone how they should feel, least of all a child. And, I hope that is exactly what is in the works for his dis - honor.

BS

His soapbox moment "I'm offended" You are not in the equation, YOU are here to mete out justice for the wrong doers and that wasn't done.

edit on 14-4-2015 by DaphneApollo because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 12:23 AM
link   
It's no shock that this Judge's facebook can't be found. Guess he decided to tuck tail and run like a coward. It's really sad to see things like this, but it seems to be more the norm as more and more of these cases are brought to light. And even then, all it does is cause arguments and division, which I see as a diversion to what's really going on in this world. Hope the little kid will be okay. This world is an ugly place.

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 01:30 AM
link   
Which is WHY you should shoot to kill EVERY time you get a similar break in.THAT way some one else doesn't have to suffer from this 'Catch and Release" judicial system.

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 03:27 AM
link   
Judge needs new job... after some time in the grey bar hotel ...

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 03:40 AM
link   
I think it is comical, and at the same time sad, that people think it is uncommon for people (black or white) to be granted such tiny sentences for such big crimes.

I can tell you from personal experience that it is quite a common occurrence.

Any time I arrest a person I receive a state attorney's disposition sheet that explains if the charges were pursued, if they were found not guilty, or if they were found guilty.

If they are found guilty, it explains in detail the sentencing handed down by the judge.

I cannot tell you how many times I have arrested a violent offender, with an already lengthy arrest history, that receives an inadequate punishment.

One particular case haunts me all the time.

I arrested a male that broke into his ex girlfriends house. She was pregnant with his baby. He beat the tar out of her. He held her on the ground, placed a knife to her throat, and told her that he would kill her.

I found him, arrested him, and charged him with armed home burglary, felony battery (pregnant), assault with a deadly weapon, and violation of an injunction (she had one against him).

This criminal plead guilty to every charge. That is three (3) felonies and one (1) misdemeanor. He also had prior convictions.

What was his punishment you ask? Six (6) months in county jail. In Florida criminals only serve an average of 82% of their sentences, so I am sure he was out in less time.

THIS HAPPENS ALL THE TIME ACROSS AMERICA.

This is an absolute failure of the judicial system. It is another reason (not an excuse) as to why some cops get aggravated easily. We do our job and put the violent criminal away only to have the judicial system turn its back on us (and society).

Chasing the same people day in and day out is very disheartening.
edit on 14-4-2015 by TorqueyThePig because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-4-2015 by TorqueyThePig because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 03:59 AM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

"I was cautioning the parents against allowing racial stereotypes to impact their behavior and that of their child," he said.

I am sure the child was not impacted by racial stereotyping . I think a violent crime and i am sure her parents reactions at the time might have something to do with how she feels . I wonder if this judges butt gets jealous of the of the S&#T that comes out of his mouth .

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Which is WHY you should shoot to kill EVERY time you get a similar break in.THAT way some one else doesn't have to suffer from this 'Catch and Release" judicial system.

This is the BEST advice. Your HOME is your CASTLE, no matter what ANYONE says. HONOR is what you deserve when stopping those pricks from VICTIMIZING again! Shoot to kill, or don't shoot at all.

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 01:11 PM
link   
a reply to: cavtrooper7

The above is attributed to you humbly. I can reply or quote, but have failed to do so together. My Apologies.

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Look, I may get a little heat for this, but the only black judge that was actually a cool dude....was Uncle Phil, from Fresh Prince. Just saying...

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Why are the "more gun law" people not shouting from the rooftops?

We pro 2nd folks keep preaching about enforcing current laws and not adding more.

Here is another case of multiple firearm laws being broken and no charges. WTF???

Speak up antis, now is your time!

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 02:06 PM
link   
a reply to: TorqueyThePig

Well said. Time after time major crimes are broken by repeat criminals and nothing is done.

Yet all we hear is talk about needing more gun laws. When us pro second amendment preach about enforcing existing laws to their maximum extent, we get ignored.

Why are more people upset by the racism aspect of this case and not the multiple felonies that are being ignored?

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 02:10 PM
link   
well this says to me in your home you need to carry just as you would if you had a CC permit else where.
then when the door crashes in and if the people aren't yelling police, and are pointing a gun at you just drop em.

if you have to do a little rearranging so be it, dead men tell no tales.
edit on 14-4-2015 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join