It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Diametric Drive works!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 11:22 PM
link   
diametric drive works by getting a action without reaction or getting action and reaction to take place in the same direction. it violates newtons third law and conservation and breaks symmetry. but it appears it might actually work:

www.nature.com...

phys.org...

www.creol.ucf.edu...

Diametric drive was considered during the NASA Advanced Propulsion study program. It's serious stuff.

And this thing goes really fast. some forms of it bust right through the light speed barrier. but regardless all of them should get you arbitrarily close to light speed.

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 01:06 AM
link   
Interesting. But where do you get the idea of anything breaking the light speed barrier?

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 01:06 AM
link   
just a note here: this thing is a way to emulate negative mass/energy and apparently do it effectively. This has applications elsewhere each with suitably fringey goodness.

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 01:08 AM
link   
a reply to: AdmireTheDistance

There are several species of Diametric drive. Some formulations of Diametric drive avoid relativistic restrictions on FTL such as inertial mass gain. some effectively render the drive massless. as you know while massive things cannot accelerate through light speed. massless ones may under certain conditions do so provided other GRT or SRT restrictions don't kick in. if your negative mass perfectly balances the positive mass it could go right on accelerating.

edit on 14-4-2015 by stormbringer1701 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 05:31 AM
link   
This ain't gonna result in any advanced propulsion system anytime soon. Its only photons doing some conjuring tricks.
You will really need to get something with real mass diametric drive to get any practical application to space drives.
Sigh! and to think geode institute from from Germany is for real is a fallacy.
a reply to: stormbringer1701

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 05:55 AM
link   

At a glance this "optical diametric drive" requires particles of negative mass to be theoretically possible. How would we create such particles?

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 07:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: AdmireTheDistance
Interesting. But where do you get the idea of anything breaking the light speed barrier?

The restriction on an ojbect achieving velocities close to or exceeding the speed of light is due entirely to the mass of that object and the kinetic energy equation E = m .v^2

If the mass is reduced close to or even below zero, then the energy required also reduces and even changes sign.

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 12:11 PM
link   
KE = 1/2 mv2 btw
a reply to: stormcell

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 12:15 PM
link   

So, if we can figure out how to reduce/alter the mass of an object...then it would become much easier to move it to relativistic speeds? Did I get that right?

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 12:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

At a glance this "optical diametric drive" requires particles of negative mass to be theoretically possible. How would we create such particles?
nope; not always. just ersatz negative mass particles will do. there are a few ways to get transient negative energy or mass. one way of doing this is made to order squeezed laser light.

There are of course several conditional restrictions. the negative mass or energy is always tiny in relation to the positive mass or energy and it always exists for a tiny fraction of the time.

in a laser ring running continuously though these restrictions become less severe. because at least some negative energy should be present all the time.

Mind you i am not doing anything more than telling you there are ways to get negative energy or mass. I am not explaining exactly what they are doing WRT negative energy; though at first read it seems that is what they are doing/relying on.

According to other research there is another way to do this with light according to Dr Jack Sarfatti. He claims in other research that to produce negative indexes of refraction metamaterials have to actually have negative energy mass equivelence. so if you configured metamaterials such that they had such an index you'd have another substitute for negative energy/mass.

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 12:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom

So, if we can figure out how to reduce/alter the mass of an object...then it would become much easier to move it to relativistic speeds? Did I get that right?

Yes.

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 12:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

Squeezed light.
casimir effects.
bare mass of all matter is negative before renormalization.
metamaterials with negative index of refraction.
quasi-particles with regular mass can have negative mass as an aggregate property.
Feynman's species of antiparticle unlike normal antimatter can have negative mass.
Time reversed advanced wave versions of normal matter.
there are likely other possibilities i don't even know about.

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 12:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nochzwei
This ain't gonna result in any advanced propulsion system anytime soon. Its only photons doing some conjuring tricks.
You will really need to get something with real mass diametric drive to get any practical application to space drives.
Sigh! and to think geode institute from from Germany is for real is a fallacy.

ah but photons can move a ship. it may be a sucky form of thrust in terms of power but it is a drive. and in this case wouldn't it have twice the good bits of a regular photon drive?

and in this case isn't there just a bit of gravity gradient involved fore and aft?

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 04:26 PM
link   
how sucky is a regular photon drive? About this sucky:

(ed note: the photon drive, where one lousy Newton of thrust takes three hundred freaking megawatts!!)

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 11:46 PM
link   

You are spot on mate. You could theoretically achieve instant travel from A to B

posted on Apr, 15 2015 @ 12:12 AM
link   
So cool how they're finding new ways around what scientists were saying was impossible. I doubt anything in this universe is impossible, I really do.

posted on Apr, 15 2015 @ 12:48 AM
link   
well the primary barrier to light speed is inertial mass building exponentially with velocity. but there are several conjectures or principles that purport to also prevent FTL. the question with all of these is: is there a physical mechanism that enforces these prohibitions or are they all a matter of philosophy? for some there appears to be some physical mechanism that at least makes the process difficult if not impossible. For instance when mucking about with worm holes the properties of a wormhole seem to fight being enlarged or maneuvered. But at the same time this effect can actually be used judiciously to keep the wormhole open, enlarged and moving the way you want it to. But it was first proposed as a means of preventing wormhole travel. it's called Cosmic Back Reaction. but it was proposed before any enforcement process was even considered. So it started out as a philosophical objection to all this mucking about with how the universe is supposed to work.

posted on Apr, 15 2015 @ 01:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Nochzwei

So...finding the Higgs and understanding it could lead to FTL or near light speed travel?!

Hm...I'm wondering if in some secret government research facility they've already been working on mass reduction technologies...

posted on Apr, 15 2015 @ 01:23 AM
link   

Do you think this technology could be applied to ion thrusters?

posted on Apr, 15 2015 @ 02:27 AM
link   

a reply to: Nochzwei

So...finding the Higgs and understanding it could lead to FTL or near light speed travel?!

Hm...I'm wondering if in some secret government research facility they've already been working on mass reduction technologies...
Higgs is responsible for a fraction of the mass for some particles in the standard model. the Higgs is not responsible for all mass in matter. i am unsure however if higgs fields do impart inertial mass. that's possible. but i just don't remember.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join