It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Some Quick Aviation Pics from My Portland, OR trip.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Went down to the spend the weekend at the Portland automotive swap meet. Since I stayed and drove past PDX (Portland International airport) on the way to the meet I was able to snag some aviation related pics (NE Marine Drive, Portland is an awesome plane spotting road BTW):

South West 737 in mid take-off:

Alaska Airlines, Make a Wish Foundation/Disney painted 737:

Alaska Airlines Bombardier Q400 (DH4):

F-15c's from the 142nd fighter wing. Some of the 142nd is currently in Eastern Europe in cooperation with NATO. 4 or 5 of them would take off every day in the morning head West and then come back a couple hours later:

A P-38 lightning center drop tank I found at the meet itself. Surprising enough there were about 3-4 drop tanks at this years meet:

Disclaimer: the above pics were taken with a cell phone camera and a Nikon Coolpix L830 at about 30x zoom.

en.wikipedia.org...

en.wikipedia.org...

www.portlandswapmeet.com...

edit on 13-4-2015 by Sammamishman because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 09:46 PM
link   
First two F-15 pics are the EOR checks. Also known as last chance checks.

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 11:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Maybe this is a stupid question and I haven't had my morning caffeine. Please explain what EOR checks are. I read the AKA last chance check but you said it was the first two f-15's. That's what's got me confused. Is the truck checking the f-15's and that's the EOR check. Or are the two lead 15's doing the EOR?

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 11:50 AM
link   
a reply to: BASSPLYR

They check all of them. They stop short of the runway and a crew checks the landing gear and external fuel tanks to make sure all the pins were removed, and an overall check for leaks, make sure nothing is hanging that shouldn't be, etc.

For a flight of four they'll do them two and two. So after the first two are done they'll move into place while the second two are checked.
edit on 4/14/2015 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Yep not enough caffeine. I miss read your post the first time through. The truck is doing the EOR checks in the first two pictures of the f-15's. Duh. I get it now.

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 11:58 AM
link   

It kind of sucks to get airborne and end up with two green, one red, declare an emergency, get back to parking and have the crew chief walk out from under the jet with a steamer in hand.

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Both days (Fri. and Sat.) three F15's would go out another one would depart about 30-45 min. later and then another one would leave about 20 min after that. Then 2-3 hours later they would return in that order. I was just lucky to catch them on the taxiway while passing PDX.

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 04:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Sammamishman

The only fighters I get to see in LA are f-18's I see occasionally flying around Long Beach. Where they coming from?

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Oregon Guard flies them or of Portland.

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 05:16 PM
link   

they fly all the way down there from Portland?

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Oh your -18s? Sorry I thought you meant the Eagles. There are Hornets all over California and Nevada. There are usually quite a few based near a carrier.

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Pt magu maybe? I dunno. I thought it was neat to see them. They were just cruising back and forth over the queen mary and the harbor right there. Was coming back from a whale watching cruise to see the grey whales migrating and they were flying when we sailed out and when we sailed back in. A few hours worth of time so they had to be close or a different flight of them.

Get to see marine one when it comes in to the vetrans center by the federal building. That's pretty cool too. Would love to see some f-22's cruise by one day. Maybe in may when they visit chico.

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Lemoore, Miramar, and El Toro in California.

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Next time you're in Oregon, stop by Medford for me and see if the Skyfox is still sitting there looking sad and derelict.

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 07:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Sammamishman

I'm not gonna lie...

For YEARS, and until I was 15 or so, I thought the Alaska Airlines guy on the tail was an black man with an afro. Seriously.

One day it dawned on me that it was a native with a hood and fur ruff. I felt so stupid, as it made so much more sense.

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 07:20 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

He always looked a bit too much like Abe Lincoln to me.

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 07:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: _Del_

He always looked a bit too much like Abe Lincoln to me.

Abe Lincoln with an afro?!!

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Well, he wasn't exactly known for his well-kempt hair...

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 09:05 PM
link   
a reply to: _Del_

I just might. I'll be driving through Medford in July. If I have some time I'll see if I can track it down.

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 09:07 PM
link   

I'm not gonna lie.....me too.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join