It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bill Maher’s bigoted atheism: His arrogant shtick is just as ugly as religious intolerance

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 11:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

People hate Maher because he slams on religion.

I dislike Maher for the same reason I dislike Rush Limbaugh. In fact, Maher is nothing more than a left-wing version of Limbaugh.
He's a pompous, bloviating, know-it-all windbag. Nothing more. No substance. None.

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 11:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: coastlinekid
a reply to: LDragonFire
Before I ask you to elaborate I will elaborate on my previous post...

The John Stewart Show covers current topics in a humorous fashion, most ADULTS enjoy his take on serious subjects because they are already aware of said serious subjects and can appreciate the humor with which he is applying to said serious subjects...

Yes its a news comedy show

Most of the YA crowd don't actually research or study said serious subjects, and , therefore, ... after watching a John Stewart segment on said serious subjects,... consider themselves well-informed on said serious subjects and proceed to repeat the humorous statements in social situations as if they are well informed ,...which they are not...

Most Adults that you refer too don't research or study topic on Fox News or any other mainstream news. The younger generation knows its a comedy show yet they learn about current news from his show and I maintain it leads them to further research the current news stories.............. The younger generation doesn't buy the corporate news product that is sucked up by the older generation, the younger generation doesn't believe in government nor the corporate society created by the older generation. So IMO these comedy news shows are teaching and informing a generation that won't participate in modern corporate propaganda.....

... John Stewart introduces serious subjects to the YA crowd in a way that makes them NOT take the subject seriously...

John Stewart introduces serious subjects to the YA crowd.

To me, that is a deliberate and deceptive way to influence the YA crowd...

Compared to Fox News, or MSNBC, or CNN?
edit on 14-4-2015 by LDragonFire because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-4-2015 by LDragonFire because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 12:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell

Maher has an emotional hatred for religion so his views are pathological and not based on the spirit of improving religion….that’s what Zakaria was pointing out to him

Have you ever actually read or listened to what Maher thinks about believing in God? He considers himself an Agnostic Atheist (and he waivers back and forth on that). He's not sure if there is a God or not.

Maher is not against God, he is against Organized religion. Religious groups that try to control everyone.

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 12:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

By the way Willtell - S&F

This is my kind of thread

:-)

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 12:09 PM
link   
a reply to: ColeYounger

I dislike Maher for the same reason I dislike Rush Limbaugh. In fact, Maher is nothing more than a left-wing version of Limbaugh.

Spot on

But, just so we can hold onto our humanity - and theirs - I think as people they're two of a kind. I've always thought Bill is a sad sort of guy. I have a hard time faulting him for that. His disappointment with the state of mankind took a turn at some point in his life - and it turned him I think

Rush is the same seems to me - the other side of that same coin. Maybe this is how and why bigotry happens - no grey areas. Sometimes people refine their philosophy down to the lowest common denominator and then stop thinking. It's hard to climb back out of that hole once you're down there
edit on 4/14/2015 by Spiramirabilis because: not enough thinking - too many thinks

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Meh, the guy is a hypocritical loudmouth who preaches for attention whenever he finds something likely to get him views. The problem though, is that the "devout" give him plenty of ammunition, don't they?

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Anyone who requires a 'faith, belief or feeling' to get through the day is a lightweight.
This includes atheists who believe a negative.
Agnosticism is the only means to approach the reality we face.
It does not mean there is not something more. It means that you don't know what the heck it is and that NO ONE DOES.

Maher needs to consider all religion to be irrelevant. That those who defend them as irrelevant to a discussion of 'angels dancing on the head of a pin'.

The fact that 1.7 billion people are delusional should not affect what you say unless you are fearful of the consequences generated from their gross stupidity. The fact that he singles them out is wrong. ALL RELIGIONS ARE SELF-SERVING AND SELF-PERPETUATING IDIOCIES.

There's no opinion, feeling, prejudice, faith or belief in that bolded statement. No religion speaks for a 'god'. They just say they do. They have no proof and search for 'miracles' to justify infringing on the world's consciousness. They argue about increasingly stupid crap to justify their presence and to proselytize.
No one can certify that a god exists or not. They can 'feel' all they want and it does emit truth.

If a 'god' wants you to know he exists, why would there be a mystery? Is he just a practical joker? Now yo see me, now you don't? Supreme being as a prank loving clown?

If a 'god' does not want you to know if he exists, how could you ever know?

All of your statements, all of your statements, have no value. It is the grossest form of immaturity to think that a 'god' has to think of you. You are just part of the machinery if he exists and that is how you would be appreciated. When you wear out you die. If some part of you has value to a 'god', he will keep what he wants. He could toss the rest as dross.

YOU can not know. Your defense of this crap, in any way, religious or atheist, is based on what secure knowledge?

I can conceive that there is some spiritual component (I've had some weirdness in my life) but that it is a ripple in the ocean of reality. I do not know what causes it, what it portends or whether some grand design is in force....neither do you because you can't. You could live a much more meaningful life by just serving out this life in a benign way.

If there is a 'god' and he sits in judgement of that life, how much in the way of 'props' would this make? You didn't have to be a fearful, abject being and you STILL acted nobly. If that 'god' had any sense (bias here) he would think MORE OF YOU.

So, screw your religion(s). You don't even make sense to your own human-centric imaginings when you cart this horse and put it in tow.

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 03:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: coastlinekid
a reply to: LDragonFire
Before I ask you to elaborate I will elaborate on my previous post...

The John Stewart Show covers current topics in a humorous fashion, most ADULTS enjoy his take on serious subjects because they are already aware of said serious subjects and can appreciate the humor with which he is applying to said serious subjects...

Most of the YA crowd don't actually research or study said serious subjects, and , therefore, ... after watching a John Stewart segment on said serious subjects,... consider themselves well-informed on said serious subjects and proceed to repeat the humorous statements in social situations as if they are well informed ,...which they are not...

... John Stewart introduces serious subjects to the YA crowd in a way that makes them NOT take the subject seriously...

To me, that is a deliberate and deceptive way to influence the YA crowd...

That's a lot of assuming. Just because you assume viewer's don't research what's noted in a segment doesn't make it true.

I've noticed quite the opposite. My generation & the generation after me grew up w/the internet. So it's easy for us to fact check claims people make.

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 03:49 PM
link   

a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

Though I respect religion and to a degree am religious.

I slam on religion too. But have some balance.

Islam produced Jalaludin Rumi as well as these modern stupid Imams.

Maher can insult all he wants but Zakaria just pointed out to him that he is intellectually stupid and in-fact doing harm to his own cause and should have said he is an emotional child when it comes to religion.

Maher has an emotional hatred for religion so his views are pathological and not based on the spirit of improving religion….that’s what Zakaria was pointing out to him

Hate to nitpick but I disagree with the highlighted part. Islam didn't produce "modern stupid Imams". The human race produces stupid people and some chose to become Imams. It's no different than "stupid" people who choose to become preachers, politicians, football players, school teachers, factory workers, police, etc. [NOTE: I'm not saying the groups mentioned before are stupid, just that there are "stupid" people everywhere, including in those professions.]

Just pointing out that Islam has nothing to do with a person being smart or dumb. The world is full of people who make bad decisions or have bad judgment. Picking up a Qur'an doesn't magically make a person smarter or dumber.

Sorry, I know you didn't mean it in a negative way but it could be read that way.

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Looks like the Zealots are having a hard time taking thier caster oil.

BM must be doing something right , cognitive dissonance is to be expected. He shoots from the hip and is very blunt. I dont always agree with his political views but he is right as religion is concerned. He does not hate people indoctrinated by religion he hates what it has done to these people. He has stated this in several occasions.

Stop being baby's and suck it up zealots.

Religion is a farce

Sometimes the trut hurts but it is necessary
edit on 14-4-2015 by DarthFazer because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 04:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

Most people are against organized intolerant religion and abuse by them.

The most anti ISIS threads on this forum are by me.

The problem with Maher is simply that he pints all religion with a broad brush
…and never sees the good side of religion.

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 04:30 PM
link   
a reply to: largo

I have no problem with the challenges to the God theory

Buddha didn’t believe in the Santa Clause, superman God of western religion and neither do I from a Sufi perspective.

Faith and religion to me is a theory to be attained

edit on 14-4-2015 by Willtell because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 04:36 PM
link   
a reply to: DarthFazer

Religion is the most destructive force on our planet. Every corner of our planet has been poisoned by it. In my life I have gone from Baptist to Agnostic to Shintoist (weird early adulthood thing), back to agnostic to atheist to unapologetic antitheist. I really don't care which magical sky parent is being worshipped, it's time that we, as a species grow up.

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 04:38 PM
link   
“Organized” religion is a symptom of man being a social animal. It is not inherent in religious philosophies…

People forget religion is only a theory on how to gain a life more under our control and with the absence of suffering (Buddhism) through the inner acquisition of enlightenment or reconstitution of the inner faculties to a state of higher existence and function.

Religion is mostly mythology and allegory that people ignorantly have taken to be literal truth

A guy like Maher doesn’t understand that

He and others miss the higher and inner meaning of religion which is esoteric and very scientific

edit on 14-4-2015 by Willtell because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 09:47 PM
link   

I don't want him silenced I just don't want to hear about this D bag ever again. I hate hearing him talk and spout his opinions and really just everything about the guy. I just can't stand the guy and on top of it I barely ever agree with him. Probably one of the worst tv personalities on TV.

Yes, I agree he spews hate as well

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 09:52 PM
link   

a reply to: Annee

Most people are against organized intolerant religion and abuse by them.

The most anti ISIS threads on this forum are by me.

The problem with Maher is simply that he pints all religion with a broad brush
…and never sees the good side of religion.

Organized religion pretty much deserves that.

I see it as - - there are good people in every group. These good people, including atheists, believe in doing good.

Do I credit the good people or the name of the group?

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 10:00 PM
link   
a reply to: ColeYounger

I think a Rush Limbaugh comparison is accurate. He has a following to cling to his every word its kinda disgusting that two types of people so different are so much a like

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 10:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Osiris1953

Religion is the most destructive force on our planet. Every corner of our planet has been poisoned by it. In my life I have gone from Baptist to Agnostic to Shintoist (weird early adulthood thing), back to agnostic to atheist to unapologetic antitheist. I really don't care which magical sky parent is being worshipped, it's time that we, as a species grow up.

Oh BS. Humans are the most destructive force on our planet. Is is religion that deforests entire landscapes? Or religion that wipes out entire ecosystems with strip mining & mountaintop removal mining? And what about the massive human caused extinctions? How many animals are on the endangered species list now because of religion? What about the Great Pacific Garbage Patch & it's counterparts in the Indian Ocean & Atlantic Oceans?

Some people always blame religion but religion has nothing to do with mankind's violent nature. Religion had nothing to do with Lenin, Mao, or the Derg's atheist communist purges; with the genocides committed in the 1st & 2 Indochina Wars, the Opium Wars, or any of the Cold War. And are you blaming the German Nazi vs Soviet Communist death toll on religion too (well over 20 million just on the Soviet side)? Or what about the massacres the Europeans did in their African colonies after the Scramble for Africa? Or the 8 million workers who died in the Cerro Rico mines since the 16th century (mostly African & indigenous slaves). Or any of the atrocities committed in the name of eugenics?

The fact is that people commit atrocities and people are the most destructive force on Earth. People destroy for any number of reasons or for no reason at all. But to blame religion is ridiculous. Because any idea, ideology, theory, economic system, or belief system can be used as an excuse to commit atrocities.

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 10:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Osiris1953

I have been on a similar path currently Agnostic ex Christian. I couldn't agree more. Thank no god there are free thinkers out there exposing the cult of Christianity. To not challenge the farce of Semitic religion would be a disservice to humanity.

People that have been hoodwinked by religion thier entire lives will often lash out when challenged. It is a long difficult process to get out of that thinking so one must be patient with them. I lost friend's that have been brainwashed by this ancient farce once I pointed out the madness they were spewing. They reacted almost violently. Religious people become unglued when presented with logic. They are so afraid of being mortal they will cling to nonsense to keep living in the delusion.

Most destructive force indeed

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 10:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: JDmOKI

I don't want him silenced I just don't want to hear about this D bag ever again. I hate hearing him talk and spout his opinions and really just everything about the guy. I just can't stand the guy and on top of it I barely ever agree with him. Probably one of the worst tv personalities on TV.

Yes, I agree he spews hate as well

Then turn the channel. Cancel HBO if you have to. But he is entitled to his opinion.

Besides he is right , never seen him spew hate though. I see him make jokes and witty banter all the time. That is not hate.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join