It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bill Maher’s bigoted atheism: His arrogant shtick is just as ugly as religious intolerance

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 01:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Scdfa

An "important comedian" is almost an oxymoron, like an "influential court jester". But I'd say John Oliver is infinitely better & more important. He actually breaks down policies with enough information to get casual viewers to understand how they can make a difference. Jon Stewart as well, though I think he's actually a tier below John Oliver. And just for kicks & giggles, Chris Rock too.

Maher is just an arrogant, hateful prick. He's not even in the same stratosphere.

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 01:57 AM
link   

Ya colbert Stewart and Oliver have him beat.

And Mojom can you be a progressive zionist?

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 02:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

Colbert yes, Oliver? Too soon to tell, so far he's great. Stewart has lost it, used to be great.

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 02:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

Colbert, Stewart, and Oliver are there to keep the Young Adult crowd from paying attention...PERIOD...
And they have done a great job...
edit on 14-4-2015 by coastlinekid because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 02:14 AM
link   

Don't forget about the loss of Bill Hicks as well, I viewed Hicks, Carlin, and Maher as some of the finest comedians in recent decades.

I find it amusing that right wing media will take a pause and stop bashing Islam for a minute to bash Maher for bashing Islam..

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 02:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: coastlinekid

Colbert, Stewart, and Oliver are there to keep the Young Adult crowd from paying attention...PERIOD...

I disagree 100% with you here, I think the opposite is true.

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 02:32 AM
link   
a reply to: LDragonFire
Before I ask you to elaborate I will elaborate on my previous post...

The John Stewart Show covers current topics in a humorous fashion, most ADULTS enjoy his take on serious subjects because they are already aware of said serious subjects and can appreciate the humor with which he is applying to said serious subjects...

Most of the YA crowd don't actually research or study said serious subjects, and , therefore, ... after watching a John Stewart segment on said serious subjects,... consider themselves well-informed on said serious subjects and proceed to repeat the humorous statements in social situations as if they are well informed ,...which they are not...

... John Stewart introduces serious subjects to the YA crowd in a way that makes them NOT take the subject seriously...

To me, that is a deliberate and deceptive way to influence the YA crowd...

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 02:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

I don't know for sure. I've asked others about it and it's really just the only way I can label him I guess. It's not perfect though I realize that. It's just that he is super pro Israel in a Political Sense but he's also very anti-religion which is uncommon. Maybe Zionist is a bad label but he acts that way, just not in a Religious way.

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 02:40 AM
link   
a reply to: coastlinekid

Oh please. If anything they are there to piss off the old crotchety conservative seniors by showing them how most of their old ways of doing things no longer work.

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 02:43 AM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

...sigh... yeah.. your right... modern media really has no real influence on anybody...the public at large are just too smart for them...

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 02:53 AM
link   
a reply to: coastlinekid

It's not that so much as I think you're just giving a comedy show way too much credibility. I think dumb young people would be just as dumb without Comedy News. The smart ones just as smart with or without it.

I'm much more concerned about Real News shows that are really supposed to be valid news and are still full of lies. Comedy news get's to say things truthfully than other news because of satire. This is sometimes better when the topic is taboo. Other times it's just comedy. Oliver while being funny does actually dig deep into his research. Colbert is extremely smart and if he wanted could really expose deep issues. But in 30 min. shows you can only do so much and you have to leave room for comedy. Stewart hits some issues hard some not so hard but again usually only has time to go at it from limited angles.

I think any of them could be hard hitting given the right platform if they wanted.

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 09:02 AM
link   
I'm not surprised the Christian author of this piece hates Bill Maher. Yes, he's scathing, insulting, and doesn't care who he criticizes. He's a satirist and comedian. It's what he does. I agree with most of what he says, and disagree with some (so I'm a bigot, according to the author, because I consider myself a fan). But he isn't harming anyone with his opinions and he's free to use his platform to get them out there.

His movie "Religulous" showed me some AMAZING things! I highly recommend it if you haven't seen it.

I love Fareed Zakaria, too, but of course, he's going to be insulted by Maher's opinions on Islam.

People hate Maher because he slams on religion. Religion slams on a BUNCH of people, so develop a thick skin and move along.

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 09:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

Bill Maher has always been an intellectual lightweight.

Fareed Zakaria proved it in spades here

Couldn't agree more. I have no respect for Maher - even when I agree with him. He's quick witted and can be hilarious - but not really much of a thinker

It's feels like schtick - he found a way to get his pats and he went for it. I often wonder if people like Bill and Michael Moore couldn't just as easily have gone right as left

He is, as this oped point out an atheist bigot

Exactly right

I miss Hitchens - god how I miss Hitchens. You know, speaking of thinking... He was no friend of religion. He loathed religion as much as Maher, but with Christopher you could always watch him do the math

edit on 4/14/2015 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 09:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bilk22
He is one of the most vile individuals on the planet. I can't even stand looking at him much less listen to the cr$& he spews. He's a TPTB monkey on a string. I'd say puppet, but I like puppets. This guy is just a jerk. He's demeans religion because that's the plan. They're going to criminalize religion soon. His schtick is just the predecessor.

Edit: Well not all religions. One they won't touch.

He's always reminded me of that bright but snarky kid in highschool. Very condescenting.

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 10:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: blacktie
its rare anyone can make something religious or biblical "funny"
I cant think of one comedian that uses religion to make funny jokes

Never heard of George Carlin I take it?

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 10:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: coastlinekid

I dunno I'd say partly true if even. I've talked to some of the demographic you're referring too, apparently through what they view they are more knowledgeable(even voting independent now) than the older people who do not subscribe or loosely pay attention to these people.

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 10:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Scdfa
Bill Mahar is one of the most important comedians and social critics of our day, and we're lucky to have him.

I disagree strongly with about a third of what he has to say, but that is to be expected. Since George Carlin died, I can't think of a more important comedian today. Can you?

Wouldn't go that far to say he's the most important. He surely is one of the most vocal(even ignorant at times), the "other side" really like to focus on him because of what he says, coming off as a controlled division. Too bad he won't do better for PETA.

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 10:55 AM
link   
a reply to: dreamingawake

Too bad he won't do better for PETA.

This is where he does get to me - he loves animals

It's not hard to see that Bill has some issues with the human race. He can't quite bring himself to forgive them for being human - any more than he can forgive himself. I have a feeling it's not easy being Bill

See how happy and relaxed he is when it's something he can be for instead of against?

:-)
edit on 4/14/2015 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 11:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

Though I respect religion and to a degree am religious.

I slam on religion too. But have some balance.

Islam produced Jalaludin Rumi as well as these modern stupid Imams.

Maher can insult all he wants but Zakaria just pointed out to him that he is intellectually stupid and in-fact doing harm to his own cause and should have said he is an emotional child when it comes to religion.

Maher has an emotional hatred for religion so his views are pathological and not based on the spirit of improving religion….that’s what Zakaria was pointing out to him

edit on 14-4-2015 by Willtell because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 11:43 AM
link   
a reply to: LDragonFire

Don't forget about the loss of Bill Hicks as well, I viewed Hicks, Carlin, and Maher as some of the finest comedians in recent decades.

Bill Hicks and George Carlin had more insight, wit and intelligence in their respective left butt cheeks than Bill Maher
could ever hope to have.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join