It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bill Maher’s bigoted atheism: His arrogant shtick is just as ugly as religious intolerance

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+11 more 
posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 08:45 PM
link   
LINK

You know what you call someone who makes sweeping generalizations on billions of people based on the extreme actions of a few? A bigot. Bill Maher, for example, is a bigot. And if you’re a fan of his smug, dismissive shtick, you’re a bigot too.

On Friday’s “Real Time,” Maher, who has been openly atheist his whole career but has been increasingly vocal against organized religion in recent years, squared off against Fareed Zakaria, who gave a powerful rebuttal to Maher’s reiteration of the “Islam is the motherlode of bad ideas” assertion. “My problem with the way you approach it,” Zakaria said, “is I don’t think you’re going to reform a religion by telling 1.6 billion people — most of whom are just devout people who get some inspiration from that religion and go about their daily lives — I don’t think you’re going to change religion by saying your religion is the motherlode of bad ideas, it’s a terrible thing. Frankly, you’re going to make a lot of news for yourself and you’re going to get a lot of applause lines and joke lines.” Instead, he urged, “Push for reform with some sense of respect for the spiritual values.

I’m a Christian, which in my urban, media-centric world is basically equivalent to self-identifying as a hillbilly. It also means that I have to accept that I apply the same word to myself that a lot of hateful morons do. But on Sunday at my little neighborhood church, our priest delivered a sermon in which he said, “I can’t understand how in places like Indiana, people are using Christianity as an excuse to close their doors, when we should be welcoming to everyone.” Guess what? That’s faith too. I am also keenly aware that in other parts of the world, people are being murdered for a faith that I am privileged to practice openly and without fear. And anyone, anywhere, who is openly hateful to others for their religion is part of a culture that permits that kind of persecution to endure.

Here’s what I would like Bill Maher and his smug, self-righteous acolytes to understand. There are literally billions of individuals in this world who are not murderous, ignorant, superstitious, hatemongers, who also happen to practice a religion. Billions of people who I swear — to God — have no investment in forcing their beliefs on Bill Maher. Right here in the U.S., there are millions of my fellow Christians who are strongly committed to the ideals of the Constitution, and who don’t want to live in a theocracy any more than they do.

Bill Maher has always been an intellectual lightweight.

Fareed Zakaria proved it in spades here

Bill Maher is NOT an objective analyzer of religion.

Why?

Because he hates ALL religion.

He is, as this oped point out an atheist bigot

He is not much better than your average racist

The writer says to Fareed Zakaria

” And on behalf of Muslims, Christians, Jews and anybody else who prays to somebody sometimes, let me just say, thank you.

+9 more 
posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 09:05 PM
link   
He is one of the most vile individuals on the planet. I can't even stand looking at him much less listen to the cr$& he spews. He's a TPTB monkey on a string. I'd say puppet, but I like puppets. This guy is just a jerk. He's demeans religion because that's the plan. They're going to criminalize religion soon. His schtick is just the predecessor.

Edit: Well not all religions. One they won't touch.
edit on 12906Mondayk22 by Bilk22 because: (no reason given)

edit on 12906Mondayk22 by Bilk22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 09:24 PM
link   
I'm a progressive & I can't stand the guy.

As much as I wanted to see Zakaria school him, I can't bring myself to watch. I don't let bigoted crap be around me, just as I do with Limbaugh & any other hate speaker. I'm not a Christian but I highly respect many Christians & many Christian beliefs. So his constant attacks on Islam & Christianity get no respect from me.

I view him & other hate speech commentators as agents meant to steer the masses away from certain topics. As in, if a social view or belief is viewed as a potential threat to the status quo, they activate some extremist like him to poison the well.

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 09:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

BM is delivering from the view point of writing off the humans with the memes. Baby with the bathwater.
To me this is a form of intellectual capitulation.

Humans can always be reprogrammed.

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 09:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bilk22
They're going to criminalize religion soon. His schtick is just the predecessor.

Bill Maher is one of the most vocal United States critics on that 'one' they won't touch.

I'm not a huge fan of Maher, but the person is no worse than people that say that atheists can't condemn Hitler. Also it would be fairly easy to make Maher irrelevant in theory. Maher relies on a steady flow of religious violence and ignorance about atheism to get viewers. Fix that, and you fix Maher.

Though I guess the person would just move onto political outrage.

+1 more 
posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Bill Maher may, indeed, be an intellectual lightweight... the problem is he's smarter than a significant portion of the population.

Another thing that strikes me as darkly humorous are the Christians who are quick to jump on the hate Maher parade... proving one of his points about the abject hypocrisy of many Christians who use their religion as a club to beat others with and feel smug.

But he's just a comedian... who's getting old and losing relevance... maybe the Christians should pray for him instead of hating.

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 09:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Pinke

originally posted by: Bilk22
They're going to criminalize religion soon. His schtick is just the predecessor.

Bill Maher is one of the most vocal United States critics on that 'one' they won't touch.

I'm not a huge fan of Maher, but the person is no worse than people that say that atheists can't condemn Hitler. Also it would be fairly easy to make Maher irrelevant in theory. Maher relies on a steady flow of religious violence and ignorance about atheism to get viewers. Fix that, and you fix Maher.

Though I guess the person would just move onto political outrage.

Or he'd just double down on his religious bigotry. Basically using the argument "See! Our policies are working! Don't let up! In fact, we need a stronger push NOW to make sure religion never shows up again!" Hate speakers don't give up when they "win", they reload.

(Eww, can't believe I'm commenting on dude. Bleh!)

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 09:46 PM
link   

I very much appreciate that Real Time at least goes out of its way to get a panel with differing views, but then Bill still just berates any guests who don't agree with him. He's unquestionably a jack# as well, but the left needs a Bill O'Reilly too!

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Atheists Like Richard Dawkins And Bill Maher Are The Westboro Baptist Church Of Atheism, Says Patton Oswalt

Comedian Patton Oswalt may believe in atheism himself, but when it comes to aggressive atheists like Bill Maher and Richard Dawkins, he’s pulling none of his punches. Oswalt compares the two well-known atheist leaders to the Westboro Baptist Church, implying that he’s embarrassed by the way the two other atheists attack people over differences of religion.

Link

Yup, Bill Maher is the male Ann Coulter.

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 09:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Pinke

If we are on the same page on the 'one' I think it gets its fair share.

Bill does what he does for applause, he can be insulted all he wants but it is true.

And he seems to go easy on a certain religion...

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 10:00 PM
link   

I am no Bill Maher fan, but at lease, unlike many atheists, he is a principled religion hater. He hates them all and hates them equally unlike many who only tend to hate on a certain one or maybe two.

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 10:13 PM
link   
its rare anyone can make something religious or biblical "funny"
I cant think of one comedian that uses religion to make funny jokes

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 12:12 AM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

I agree and at one time Limbaugh was out of my sphere then one day I decided to really listen to him. He was not the bigot I thought and his words began to make sense.

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 12:15 AM
link   
I will admit that I have on occasion agreed with some of the things he has said. Very good example below....

That said, most of what he says makes me ill.

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 12:18 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I agree, Religulious the movie is entertaining and very telling...

He is a shill for the NWO... they just keep him on a short leash and let him go off on religion...everything else that pours out of his mouth is putrid globalist slime...

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 12:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80
And he seems to go easy on a certain religion...

No actually he doesn't. He's totally open about being against ALL Religion. He made a documentary about it. He talks about it on his show. He admits in almost every show that if he had his way all religion would be gone.

This idea that he's soft on one "nameless" religion is just plain wrong. He hates them all and speaks endlessly about it.

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 12:41 AM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

Can you show me where he goes all out on Judaism?

Maybe my youtube search is broken but all i get is him defending Israel

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 12:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80
a reply to: mOjOm

Can you show me where he goes all out on Judaism?

Maybe my youtube search is broken but all i get is him defending Israel

You're right that he does defend Israel. He's a Zionist Politically. But he defends Israel Politically not Religiously.

He's talked sh*t about Judaism too, I'll find you something for an example in a minute. But he is in total support of them Politically.

He may talk less about Judaism than he does Islam and Christianity but he doesn't support any religion. I've don't recall him talking about Hinduism either, but that doesn't mean he supports it.

The best examples I can think of are from his Documentary "Religiousless"

edit on 14-4-2015 by mOjOm because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 12:52 AM
link   
a reply to: ChesterJohn

Well, to each their own, I guess. I prefer positivity & constructive messages. I don't even pay attention to most of the supposedly left-leaning commentators anymore. I feel a lot better about the prospects for our future now that I reject the endless doom-and-gloom cycle on tv.

One of the few shows I watch is one called "Earthrise", on al-Jazeera's website. It focuses on environmental projects & feel-good local "green" stories from around the world. It actually shows successful progressive businesses & initiatives. Good stuff with a positive message.

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 01:23 AM
link   
Bill Mahar is one of the most important comedians and social critics of our day, and we're lucky to have him.

I disagree strongly with about a third of what he has to say, but that is to be expected. Since George Carlin died, I can't think of a more important comedian today. Can you?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join