It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nasa's Curiosity rover finds water below surface of Mars

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Prof Andrew Coates, head of planetary science at the Mullard Space, said: “The evidence so far is that any water would be in the form of permafrost. It’s the first time we’ve had evidence of liquid water there now.”

Nasa's Curiosity rover finds water below surface of Mars

So, one step at a time, we finally have evidence of liquid water on Mars, thanks to good ole Curiosity.

The article makes quite a good point regarding the fact that water is a must-have ingredient of life, but water alone is far from enough for life to emerge. Something that I always thought would be the next logical step, meaning that finding water on Mars is not that big-a-deal after all.

The thing is, that they have come to this conclusion through measurments, Curiousity hasn't touched water literally, nor do we have the chance yet to take a sample for analysis...

Oh well, one step at a time...

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Weren't they hoping not to find water? There was a breach in antimicrobial protocol and a drill bit was contaminated. Any water could case earthborn spores to germinate. Hope this doesn't effect the mission.

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 06:20 PM
link   
a reply to: ch1n1t0

I'm thinking they are going with permafrost due to the heat generated by the drilling.

Some water would naturally pool around the sensors during drilling.....so how much is due to nature vs permafrost conditions that are known.

It's really cold there I dunno?

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Please add to the existing discussion below:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Thank you. Thread closed.

new topics

top topics

join