It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The shocking (and stomach-churning) secret inside EVERY fig

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 06:38 PM
link   
I hate figs. I can't stand the taste of them. I think my reason is the sulfites though. Now I have another reason to hate them.
I like news like this.

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 06:43 PM
link   
I dont eat figs but this really would not bother me since the was decomposes and becomes part of the fruit itself. I dont get into the minutia but i would guess there are other things that go into and on fruits and vegetables that you would nor normally just pick up and eat. It is gtk though.
edit on 13-4-2015 by Harvin because: Fixin'

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 06:46 PM
link   
a reply to: PhoenixOD

If you add one letter to the word fig, you'll have an Italian name for the female sexual organ. My italian uncle explained to me it's because the colors match. Dark outside, red inside.

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Figs are like wasp killing machines? That's very mean of Mother Nature. And, of course, yuck!

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 06:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Trueman

If you add one letter to the word fig, you'll have an Italian name for the female sexual organ. My italian uncle explained to me it's because the colors match. Dark outside, red inside.

When i looked at a picture of a fig cut open i though it looked like that. I thought it was my twisted mind lol

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 06:48 PM
link   
There is loads of fig rolls in my biscuit tin.....I love them, have done since I was a child, tastiest biscuit ever (other than Garibaldi's)

Not sure I could eat them now....thanks OP, that's right up there with Jimmy and Rolf when it comes to childhood soul destroying!

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 06:50 PM
link   
We have tons of fig trees here in south carolina. I noticed that during the last few days of ripening a hole will open up and then the next day it is perfect for picking. The fig only has a 3 day window for picking optimum ripeness, this is when they taste like candy. The hole can also allow other insects , mainly ants to enter . If a wasp enters it in the last few days when the hole opens then it must get digested pretty darn fast, like in 3 days. My advice is open the fig if its spit with a hole and look inside for ants first, apparently the wasp will be dissolved already. I have noticed tons of bees around the fig trees but not wasp, hmmm ya learn something new every day.

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Wise man my uncle right?

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 06:52 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Try them fresh off the tree during peak ripening. Get your dried fruit from the health food store, sulfite free.

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 06:59 PM
link   
How strange tat I never saw any wasps in or near the trees in all the years we had them around our home.

You would think you would also see a wasp inside now and again as often you open ones that are not totally ripe, but never ever once saw one, we are talking what many hundreds of figs per tree, so a person should see some wasps?

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 07:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Foderalover
a reply to: rickymouse

Try them fresh off the tree during peak ripening. Get your dried fruit from the health food store, sulfite free.

When you dry a fruit that contains sulfur, it forms sulfite naturally. That is actually what keeps the dried fruit from spoiling.

Sulfites build up in wine naturally also, that is what limits the fermentation.

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Okay, I'm feeling lazy and I'm sure someone knows this and can quickly help me out...

Is a prune a fig? Or is a fig a prune? Is it related to a date?

EDIT: Not sad to see a wasp end up inside a fruit. Wasps are NOT bros. Bees I like, wasps not so much.
edit on 13-4-2015 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 07:10 PM
link   

askabiologist.asu.edu...

Think its bizarre that both the wasp and the fig need each other for its life cycle..

edit on 13-4-2015 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 07:10 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

Is a prune a fig? Or is a fig a prune? Is it related to a date?

Actually they're three completely different fruits.

A prune is a dried plum from a plum tree.
A fig is from a fig tree.
A date is from a date tree.

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 07:12 PM
link   
a reply to: CranialSponge

Thank you! For some odd reason I thought a prune was a dried fig.

The all kind of have a similar taste though, right? Kind of like a huge raisin?

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 07:14 PM
link   
a reply to: chrismarco

Never heard of that combo, but it's now on my list. Thanks! We don't get figs where I live except at Christmastime.

That's an interesting bit of info about the wasp. And no, it sounds more magical than disgusting, to be honest. All the flies that have died in my lifetime of eating soups have never contributed as much as the wasp has to my palate. Thanks for the info, OP.

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Dates have a much sweeter taste to them and a slightly more gooey (for lack of better word) inner texture.

Each has its own distinct flavour... albeit similar inside textures.

And in case you're wondering... raisins are dried grapes.

Bwahahaha

(okay, ignore my dry sense of humour)

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 07:19 PM
link   
a reply to: CranialSponge

I actually knew someone who didn't know that about grapes/raisins...

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Freaking gross. I knew my body was right to refuse their sustenance- Lesson learned, dont eat what your body instinctually tells you not too.

I wonder if shellfish really are ocean insects. Thats what my gut tells me!

I wonder what the deal is with gulas (baby eels) ? My body tells me hella nope with that. Sea worms?

Trust your instincts, dont get fooled into eating insects. Your gut knows best.

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Dont ruin them!!!! If its weird I dont want to know. Well I do, what? They are bugs too!

??

Staaaap it nature, Staaaap.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join