It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So... I'm a progressive... You can regress all you like.

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 07:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Bilk22

Natural disasters destroy towns full of highly devout religious people all the time. Look at tornado alley.

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 07:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer
Progressives are to progress the same as the Patriot Act is patriotic.

And as the Corvair was to Chevrolet !!

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 07:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
a reply to: Bilk22

Natural disasters destroy towns full of highly devout religious people all the time. Look at tornado alley.
Yeah it does seem like the devil is winning. Doesn't it.

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 07:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs
Lately, this year specifically...

I've seen a rise in the demeaning tone with which people spout the word "progressive"...

"These progressives want to..."

"You progressives all think that..."

Well whatever... Is what I say.

So what.

You'd like to label yourselves "traditionalist"...

That "things were better in the good old days"...

Well I feel you're more of a regressive than a traditionalist...

You wish to take us back to detrimental values that you believe we're better simply because things were whiter than white...

Regress all you like...

I'm for progression...

Progress needs to be made...

We do not need to regress into your white majority, rich over poor utopia...

We need a cultural balance for 2015 onwards...
We need fairness in the work place...
We need equal rights for women world wide...
We need to protect children and nourish and educate them instead of building drones for the work force...

Progressivism wont accomplish that. No person or science knows how to make those universally desirable goals the reality. The only way to make progress in that direction is by the continual actions of individuals, each doing as he thinks best, without artificially contrived restrictions (from good intentions).

People will do more and do better if they are doing for themselves.

The surplus made by motivated human action is the only progress.

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 08:21 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

Progressive eh? Yeah kind of reminds me of the Bolsheviks idea of it. Basically a bunch of people who take everything that others have earned, or inherited, then murder them all, and then just replace it with themselves.

Seriously, That is exactly what it really is, just a bunch of thieves taking things from others so they can be the new Rich people. I never understood why certain folks cannot comprehend that. Not saying we don't need changes, but we don't need the kind that you're spewing here.

There are also different forms of progression, like Human Progression which means Human Beings advancing themselves technologically. You know, the opposite of what Ted Kaczynski wanted? I am all for that kind of human progress, even though it may be the end of us all. ~$heopleNation

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 09:01 PM
link   

haha very well said!

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 09:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: stayinglowkey

haha very well said!

Yeah I agree that beezzer nailed it, That was good bro. Could not have said it better myself. ~$heopleNation

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Does "Progressive" mean NO foreign policy , screw your allies or who needs a military?
does it mean reverse racism is ok but Christianity should be shunned and directly opposed?
Does it mean lets drive a state into the gound with non fuctional laws in order to create a bankrupt government?
Does it mean assault weapons will be taken away?
Cause it SURE looks like that is what is done with such values and WHY I am at war with them.
Skin ,sexualityare NON issues and religions that we aren't actively combating are FINE with me.
Welfare that isn't needed being used for non productive healthy people?
No
Education as a secular issue unless you attend a religious school...that isn't promoting the murder of Americans,IS FINE.
American Patriotism WILL continue as we are the ones with the guns.
edit on 14-4-2015 by cavtrooper7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 11:44 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 11:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: cavtrooper7
SEE?
joeforamerica.com...

The water is being reserved for the little Delta Smelt, a three inch bait fish, that is not endangered species list.

The Delta Smelt must have hired a professional lobby firm to get that !!

posted on Apr, 15 2015 @ 12:30 AM
link   
These are the things Im for:
The rights of all people equal before the Law and not religious doctrine.
The rights to worship freely except when it conflict with the law.
The right of freedom of non worship.
The right of freedom of speech including hate speech.
The right fair bargain for work done including collective bargaining Ie Labor Unions.
The right to pursue happiness in my own fashion except in violation of some ones else's..meaning can't go busting some stranger over the head to make your self happy.
The right for a woman to choose.
I want the EPA with teeth'..I like breathing
I think ACA would be better but will keep it for now.
We have a dept of war /I want a dept of peace equally funded.
A strong military.
Closing Tax loop holes.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am not for Corporations as people..no corporation ever shed blood at Bunker hill, on the beaches of Normandy,Vietnam, Iraqi and possible up coming Iran,so heeell no! they don't have a say.(someone recently said that don't remember who)
I am not for unlimited stay in congress and the senate..pls punch out after a max of 8yrs.
I am not for Big money in politics.
I am not in favor of too big to fail anything, bring back Glastegel and tightened anti-trust laws.
Not in favor of a bloated military industrial complex,
Religious institution should not be tax exempt they are businesses some are on a par with multi-nationals.

edit on 15-4-2015 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2015 @ 12:36 AM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Didn't HAVE to they are from California...

posted on Apr, 15 2015 @ 12:42 AM
link   
All this is called MODERATION. We can all agree that ANY extreme is bad. Whether one goes a little to the left or a little to the right it all kind of works out in the end.

posted on Apr, 15 2015 @ 01:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs

We need a cultural balance for 2015 onwards...
We need fairness in the work place...
We need equal rights for women world wide...
We need to protect children and nourish and educate them instead of building drones for the work force...

True, some people may say "oh well, life isn't fair!", but the purpose of Law to bring Order in society through Justice.

When discrimination against one group becomes legal, it makes it more likely to happen to others. There should be liberty and justice for all law abiding citizens.

The only choice is an unfair society where people freely discriminate and chaos and injustice thrives or a fair one where all are treated equally by Law.

posted on Apr, 15 2015 @ 01:59 AM
link   

edit on 15-4-2015 by arpgme because: double post by mistake

posted on Apr, 15 2015 @ 02:44 AM
link   
a reply to: yourignoranceisbliss

I think you're responding to someone else because aside from the fact I haven't oppressed anybody...

We do not have equal rights for women worldwide and we do not educate children fairly worldwide and we do not pay decent wages to hard workers worldwide etc

Finally it's your rights end where my rights begin, not feelings, and it's not a cliche.

posted on Apr, 15 2015 @ 03:01 AM
link   

I'll just read along and see if it returns to its intended destination.

Just revisiting the thread , how did the above go .

posted on Apr, 15 2015 @ 07:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: hutch622

I'll just read along and see if it returns to its intended destination.

Just revisiting the thread , how did the above go .

Became a little less about the United States and more global...

But it seemed people needed extreme examples of eugenics and other things to say progression is not for them.

Is what it is I guess.

posted on Apr, 15 2015 @ 07:26 AM
link   

my question has been: if you are "progressing", then you must think we are coming from somewhere, and going to somewhere.

Is it enough to call "change" something like "progress", when you aren't really progressing at all? Are we rushing head first into some end game Utopia? How does "progress" overcome human nature?

Even more, how do we know that the political concept of "progress" isn't just hubris and ego, and simply an analog to the misguided notion that our ancestors lived in caves and were dim witted?

And is there anything to be gained from putting your own political viewpoints on the pedestal of progression, while labelling your opponents a bunch of dimwits who are looking to "drag us backwards" (even though, in all honesty, there is no such thing as "backwards" in humanity, beyond such concepts arising from ego and a self defined superiority)

posted on Apr, 15 2015 @ 07:26 AM
link   
Charlie, I've stayed out of your thread because I was sure you could handle the nay-sayers. Great effort on your part, and it's good to see someone's evidence-based views gaining traction and confidence.

I find it disheartening that the overall message against progressivism is the acceptance of the inequitable status quo, the innate selfishness of humanity, and the lack of aspiration for our best and highest selves.

But oh well. Good thread.

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join