It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nasa's Curiosity rover finds water below surface of Mars

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 12:25 PM
link   
This is a game changer !
The floors yours ats !

www.theguardian.com...

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 12:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Denoli

From your link

Liquid water is traditionally considered an essential ingredient for life as we known it, but Mars remains hostile for other reasons, the scientists said. The latest findings are unlikely to change the view that if life ever blossomed on Mars, it probably died out more than a billion years ago.

Do you happen to have an opinion? How about a summary for people? Anything other than this is a "game changer"? If people just wanted to read the site, they would have done that! The thread OP is supposed to summarize, give an opinion and at least offer something to talk about other than just a link!

The water they found is brine....High amounts of salt....But some more from your link:

“There are organisms on Earth, halophiles, that can survive in salty environments, but if it’s also very cold and very dry that’s a problem” said Madsen. “The radiation on Mars nails it – that environment is very hostile.”

Prof Coates agreed: “Liquid water is one of the conditions you need for life, it’s not all of them

edit on 4/13/2015 by Chrisfishenstein because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 12:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Denoli
This is a game changer !
The floors yours ats !

www.theguardian.com...

Is Nestle sending a ship to Mars?

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 12:33 PM
link   
It's a cold, far away planet that still has some water beneath the surface.
I'm not sure how this changes any games.

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 12:36 PM
link   

This is a game changer !
The floors yours ats !

www.theguardian.com...

They found some salty "brine" in between the grains of soil - not enough to even make droplets, which they have suspected for quite some time would be there.

How is this fully expected discovery a "game changer"? Still too hostile even for the most robust of life forms to be found like Chrisfishenstein quoted.

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 12:46 PM
link   
If we combine this (liquid water) with the recent discovery of very large glacial water ice deposits just below the covering of dust on Mars that was made by the Niels Bohr Institute:
Niels Bohr Institute Linky
I think that the words game changer are quite apt, at least where future missions and power generation/water provision is concerned.
A good thread about that is here: Glacial Water Ice thread

edit on 13-4-2015 by Jonjonj because: format

edit on 13-4-2015 by Jonjonj because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 12:53 PM
link   

This is a game changer !
The floors yours ats !

www.theguardian.com...

....Ehhhh...Not Tooo much of a game changer....but it changes the fact that the information is being given or "undisclosed" information. This is slow Agenda 21 to the masses.

I think this is great & an important "discovery" truth telling (bc, we all know TPTB knew water and life exist on mars before thy even looked her way).
Now when we send those 100 up there, "First Contact" won't be too unrealistic...or if they all get killed by "Aliens"...we won't be too disappointed either (especially the religion nutz who will call them demons and further restrain the path of total enlightenment) .

All I Take from this is the Slow Release of Information to the Public for Acclimatization

Regards,

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Water is only associated with life on earth. Who knows what the building blocks for life on Mars, or any other planet might be. Carl Sagan touched on this in his version of the cosmos.

Exciting find indeed, I'm sure we'll think of something to do with it.

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 12:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: chrismarco

This is a game changer !
The floors yours ats !

www.theguardian.com...

Is Nestle sending a ship to Mars?

Don't know !
Have you contacted them ?
If they are I'll apply won't u ?

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Rover wheels uncover "ice" all the time. Which evaporates to space afterwards.

images

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 12:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp

Water is only associated with life on earth. Who knows what the building blocks for life on Mars, or any other planet might be. Carl Sagan touched on this in his version of the cosmos.

Water is only associated with life on earth ?
Evidence ?

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 01:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Jonjonj

I too think "game changer" is an apt discription. Life is more likely in a "wet" environment, I would imagine; primordial soup and all that....

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 01:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp

Water is only associated with life on earth ?
Evidence ?

Bold statement, but for all we know at this point and lack of evidence suggests water is only used for life here on earth. I am sure it's a building block for some other life forms but we have yet to even discover any other than what we have here.
Remember life works here because it sprung up in its own evolutionary path, take our earth and switch it with Mars we'd all parish, and life similar to what we have now might spring up on Mars.

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Don't shoot the messenger !
No wonder people over the millennia have been burnt at the steak !
Investigate before getting your bible or bullets out !

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 01:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
a reply to: Jonjonj

I too think "game changer" is an apt discription. Life is more likely in a "wet" environment, I would imagine; primordial soup and all that....

As regards water on Mars I think it has been conclusively proven that in the past there was a considerably larger amount of water on Mars, with all that that may entail regarding the genesis of life.
However my point was rather more related to the opportunities easily (relatively) accessible water will provide for future missions, after all, having to take thousands of litres of water through space is one of the main drawbacks to a manned mission to Mars. This problem now seems to have been completely put to rest, and as such, this is indeed a game changer.

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 01:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
Rover wheels uncover "ice" all the time. Which evaporates to space afterwards.

images

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I thought you maintained against all hail that the ice and water on Mars was CO2?

edit on 13-4-2015 by Jonjonj because: added

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 01:31 PM
link   
And here goes the scientific mosh pit !

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Well, it has been long obvious that Mars has water. Water is not really that special, it's overrated. Water doesn't necessarily mean there is life though. Earth and Mars are not the only bodies in solar system with water. Jupiter's moons Europa (already proven) and Ganymede (strongly theorized) and Saturn's Enceladus (already confirmed) have liquid water too. And nearly every body in our solar system has water vapor.

So it's not really game changer, just confirms what we already knew. Mars has been Earthlike in the past, with oceans and vegetation, but for some reason, the volcanic activity stopped and the amount of carbon dioxide reduced, and greenhouse effect stopped, sending the planet into Ice Age.

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 01:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blue Shift
It's a cold, far away planet that still has some water beneath the surface.
I'm not sure how this changes any games.

I don't think it's so cold at Gale Crater, presently at least.

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 01:49 PM
link   
It seems they "find" water on Mars an average of once or twice a month.

When is this silly nonsense going to stop, and they just admit that they have uncovered microbial life on Mars? I don't think the worlds religions would topple, civilization wouldn't bat an eye, and most people wouldn't care or simply shrug their shoulders.

We are ready for microbial life, not 10 or 20 years from now. The silly hide-and-seek/warmup game ought to stop.
edit on 13-4-2015 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join