It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Passenger plane slides off runway while taxiing at IAH

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 02:22 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 02:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: buddah6

Looks like a 737NG, so there might be some minor damage to #1 ring cowling, and some minor FOD damage to the blades, but at worst its a minor chip to the blades and a small dent to the cowling. Agreed, no wing damage. They would have been going slow enough that it would have barely hurt anything.

It's actually a 737-900 and contrary to earlier reports (and posts) it happened on landing. It exited the runway and not a taxiway. I would suspect dynamic hydroplaning since it was raining at IAH. An aircraft will hydroplane at a speed (in mph) of 6.9 times the square root of the tire pressure (in psi), which is 185 psi for the mains and 165 for the nose. So it can slide at or above 90 mph, which is above the touchdown speed for a 737 at landing weight.

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 02:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: F4guy

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: buddah6

Looks like a 737NG, so there might be some minor damage to #1 ring cowling, and some minor FOD damage to the blades, but at worst its a minor chip to the blades and a small dent to the cowling. Agreed, no wing damage. They would have been going slow enough that it would have barely hurt anything.

It's actually a 737-900 and contrary to earlier reports (and posts) it happened on landing. It exited the runway and not a taxiway. I would suspect dynamic hydroplaning since it was raining at IAH. An aircraft will hydroplane at a speed (in mph) of 6.9 times the square root of the tire pressure (in psi), which is 185 psi for the mains and 165 for the nose. So it can slide at or above 90 mph, which is above the touchdown speed for a 737 at landing weight.

I remember that formula on my ATP written test in 1976...oh!

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 03:25 PM
link   
a reply to: F4guy

Thanks. I hadn't found an article showing model and was just going on the little I could see in the pics.

It appears that's what happened to the Delta MD-88 in New York too. Everything showed normal, and they started drifting left on the runway.
edit on 4/13/2015 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 04:58 PM
link   

It's actually a 737-900 and contrary to earlier reports (and posts) it happened on landing. It exited the runway and not a taxiway.

Doesn't surprise me the reporters got the information incorrect. The Chronicle and news station reporting in Houston has become very poor or at least a far cry from what it was in the past.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join