It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Beginner offering a Beginners guide to Bourbon.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 10:28 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

The Whistlepig is a rye. Is it spicy, or smooth? I have found I am not as much of a fan of rye's. The copper fox sure zapped my taste.

I plan to try the mitchners next, as that was one I can get locally.

My Son-in-Law just called to tell me the ABC store called him today to come Monday and pick up his 10 year old Pappy's. (I think it's Old Van Winkle, but they called it pappys) And he is coming the following weekend for another dinner/taste. So things are looking up.

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 12:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude
The Whistlepig is a rye. Is it spicy, or smooth?

It is both spicy and smooth. It is my favorite rye out there for both the flavor and price point.

My Son-in-Law just called to tell me the ABC store called him today to come Monday and pick up his 10 year old Pappy's. (I think it's Old Van Winkle, but they called it pappys) And he is coming the following weekend for another dinner/taste. So things are looking up.

Whatever year it is I am jealous either way.

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 03:18 PM
link   

I have heard much about the W.H Weller 12 year from many sources (Yearight being the most trusted one) but cannot seem to find it. I asked my local guy to order this and Elmer T. Lee, and was blown off.

Make sure you're asking for W. L. Weller 12 year old. The W.H. might have thrown someone off.

Just sayin'.

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 03:20 PM
link   

My Son-in-Law just called to tell me the ABC store called him today to come Monday and pick up his 10 year old Pappy's. (I think it's Old Van Winkle, but they called it pappys)

Yep, Pappy Van Winkle's. Good and very hard to find. There's a 20 year old as well. I honestly think the W. L. Weller 12 year old is every bit as good, much easier to find, and significantly cheaper. It's all Buffalo Trace Distillery product.

posted on Nov, 20 2015 @ 09:32 AM
link   
a reply to: yeahright

Easy to find? I wish. I have been looking around a good bit and not found any. Also the Elmer T. Lee seems to be elusive.
If you see it somewhere, please let me know. I may be able to buy it and have it shipped. (not sure about that)

posted on Nov, 20 2015 @ 09:48 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

Not easy, easier. At least I can find W L Weller 12 year old easier than I can find Pappy Van Winkle where I am.

[Edit to add]

Try to contact them directly about closest place to go to purchase. This late in the year, you might be out of luck.

edit on 11/20/2015 by yeahright because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2015 @ 10:29 AM
link   
a reply to: yeahright

Thanks. I contacted them via the e-mail link. I'll post results if that works.
Thanks again for the idea.

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Tried the Pappy's 10 yr. (Old Rip Van Winkle)
Very good flavor, slight burn mid taste, smooth finish, and long lasting flavor. I don't think it was up to the level of all the hype, but still very good. If I had to chose at that price level, I'd go with blantons. But I am glad to taste it and know. Looking forward to the day I can taste the 23yr Pappys.

Evan Williams Single Barrel 2004. Very smooth. Almost no burn at all. Subtle flavors, but nice. Very easy to drink. Much like Buffalo Trace. I have heard the 2000 is best.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 12:10 PM
link   

On a New Years trip to Wilmington NC, we went to the Front Street Brewery for a beer and was delighted to see they expanded their whiskey collection.

I was able to try the Weller 12 yr and as advertised, it was amazing. Super smooth, great flavor, and lasted until the next sip. I just have to travel and hour and a half and pay 7 bucks for a shot. But damn was it good.

they had the collection of Buffalo Trace experimentals. All were $11 a shot, and without knowing a bit of history, I opted to go with what I really wanted to try. The barmaid was hot and very knowledgeable of bourbon. (she slipped me a taste of the Elijia Craig she was replacing for free. (I have had this a few times, but it was tasty as well.) I should have took some pictures of the menu, as the prices for some were outrageous.

Happy sipping.

posted on May, 16 2016 @ 09:42 PM
link   

This may be my favorite bourbon ATM

I was teasing AM about it via PM. Now that I found this thread, I can tease everyone ... in public.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 06:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

Next time I fly international I gonna get a bottle of some export only stuff and return the favor.

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 10:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

We tried that, and for my taste, I found the Four Roses small batch, really tasty. And it was significantly cheaper. It smelled fruity/flowery, had a nice smooth taste, minimal burn.

I was able to pick up another bottle of Baterhouse from the Orphan Barrel collection, and yea, it's still just that damn good.

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 10:14 AM
link   

We're heading over to my buddy's house on Saturday and I intend on helping him wreck his bottle of Whistlepig Boss Hog.

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 10:55 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

what are friends for?

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 11:26 AM
link   

what are friends for?

Exactly. Plus I'm bringing the Montes.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join