It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Beginner offering a Beginners guide to Bourbon.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 06:39 AM
link   
a reply to: fltcui

It's on my list. Thanks for the tip!

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 07:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: fltcui
If you can find Elmer T. Lee try it and then the next day go back and buy up their supply because it's not on the shelves long.

Elmer T. Lee was the master disteller at Blanton's which is part of Buffalo Trace and owned by Sazerac.

The entire portfolio is very good so if you cannot find one the others are somewhat similar.

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 12:24 PM
link   
I'm still super partial to Pappy's 12 yr, the 20 was too ammonia smelling.

But honestly in the area I live in the Knob and Basil are about the best you can find without a hassle.

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 03:00 PM
link   
An update on the drinking.
Blantons- very smooth, sweet, and just right. Only thing I didn't like is the $56 price tag. But still not bad.
Elmer T. Lee- Just damn good. After a few other samples, this tastes like sweet tea.(or at least a hint of it) But very, very good. In the $32 range, it cannot be beat.

Angels Envy- appropriately named. $57, but well worth it and sits nicely on the top shelf. It was smooth, no bite, mellow flavor. Super easy to drink. (if it was cheaper, it would be gone)

Next is Bookers.

CIA Gypsy- tonight I toast you.

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 03:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude
An update on the drinking.
Blantons- very smooth, sweet, and just right. Only thing I didn't like is the $56 price tag. But still not bad.
Elmer T. Lee- Just damn good. After a few other samples, this tastes like sweet tea.(or at least a hint of it) But very, very good. In the $32 range, it cannot be beat.

Angels Envy- appropriately named. $57, but well worth it and sits nicely on the top shelf. It was smooth, no bite, mellow flavor. Super easy to drink. (if it was cheaper, it would be gone)

Next is Bookers.

CIA Gypsy- tonight I toast you.

I drank a lot of bourbon as a teenager considering it is what I could steal from my parent's liquor cabinet. But I prefer Tequila if we're talking hard liquor.

Outside of that, I go for a nice white wine....

edit on 18-6-2015 by CIAGypsy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 03:24 PM
link   
a reply to: CIAGypsy

That might force me to have two. I'll let you know which one you chose and how good it was. Deal?

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 03:50 PM
link   
I'll give the same advice I gave my son last weekend. Hard won advice at the expense of 40+ years of sampling.

There's a lot of difference between a $20 bottle of whiskey and a $50 bottle. Not so much between a $50 bottle and a $200 bottle.

My personal favorite when I can find it, is the 12 year old W.L. Weller which is also a Buffalo Trace distillery product. Priced most places under $50 for a 750ml bottle. I've found it closer to $40.

edit on 6/18/2015 by yeahright because: typo

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 05:23 PM
link   
a reply to: yeahright

I can't say we didn't like it since it's almost gone, but I didn't put this with the top shelf pics. I'll have to try the 12 year to see what that is like.

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Next is Bookers.

Try Baker's as well. Similar but I think slightly better.

posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 08:08 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

That's an excellent selection, but the higher proof is a different experience. Personally I prefer the WL Weller 12 year old. I know people who say the Old Weller is the all time best, so I'll be curious to see your take.

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 04:06 PM
link   

New addition. Having many people tell me about the wonders of single malt scotch, I decided to try what I was told was the better option. It was smooth, but after drinking bourbon, it had a kind of nasty flavor. I suppose it's like wine and I should have went with the dryer option first. So the good news is, if any single malt lovers want to stop by, I have some decent hooch for you.

Now, the Jeffersons Ocean. My son in law spent a bit more than I would have on an unknown, but hit it out of the park. This stuff if good. Sweet, smooth, and mellow.

Bookers was very good, had a little bite, but fantastic flavor. (and a bad ass box)

Jameson was very good too. Irish whiskey, but very similar to a bourbon. I need to read up on the difference. I liked it.

Blantons was fantastic. All around good. But we both agreed that Elmer T. Lee was likely the best overall that we have tried. (factoring in price)

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 09:55 AM
link   
New update.

This was a $75 bottle, and is completely amazing. complex flavors, smooth, sweet, like drinking velvet.
If you see this, you need to try it. I believe it's worth every dollar.

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Hows the Glenlivet 12yr? I've had the 15 and it was great.

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 06:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lysergic
Hows the Glenlivet 12yr? I've had the 15 and it was great.

It is good (equivalent to Glenfiddich or Macallan 12) but for the extra money the 15 and 18 are noticeably better.

If you want to try a very good 12 I suggest Balvenie.

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 06:53 AM
link   

I saw that at the Total Wine near me, I will grab that next time I am there which will most likely be a couple of times later today.

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 07:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

I saw that at the Total Wine near me, I will grab that next time I am there which will most likely be a couple of times later today.

Let me know what you think. They try to pass it off as "super rare", but if you read up on it, it's not. But it's damn good.

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 05:53 AM
link   
An update from an addict. It seems tasting good bourbon is not just fun, it’s really, fun. I keep learning more about flavor profiles and different levels of smoothness vs. taste. So far, a few key things have been learned.
1. Money does not equal quality
2. The burn is not a bad thing
3. Don’t be afraid to throw in a few chips of ice

Larceny- I have mentioned this before, but this continues to be a fantastic drink. Smooth, sweet, and just damn good. $24
Bulleit- Perhaps my favorite over ice. Neat, not as much. But a great one for the $31
Woodford Reserve (distillers Select)- You may notice the bottle is gargantuan. There are two reasons for that. Reason 1, it’s delicious and smooth. Reason 2- it was $56 for the 1.75 at Costco, so it was easy to decide to buy. It’s really, really good. (normally $36)
Evan Williams Single Barrel (2004)- waiting for my buddy to stop by to taste this. The year is significant to him and I heard it was a good one to try. $30
Cooper Fox Rye- not a fan. It was recommended to my friend along with some others, and we liked all of them. He likes this (or at least claims to) but to me, it’s too spicy and tastes a bit too much like Scotch. If you like this, come see me. I’ll pour you a generous glass. $40
John J. Bowman- flavor for days. This is a complex taste with a mild burn about halfway through, then a smooth finish. It’s one that if you were in a foul mood, a glass of this will make you forget the bad things and spend your time contemplating what you are tasting. I liked it. $55
Wild Turkey Rare Breed- not being a wild turkey fan (had way too much one time) this was surprisingly good. Very smooth and great flavor. Yes, it did taste like Wild Turkey, but it was much smoother. $48
Bakers- a lot like bookers, but tasted side by side, not quite as good. Still a very good complex flavor and good bite with a smooth finish. $52
Basil Haydens- just a fantastic drink for the $. Good flavor, very little bite, good neat. I plan to always have one of these on the shelf. $40

I have heard much about the W.H Weller 12 year from many sources (Yearight being the most trusted one) but cannot seem to find it. I asked my local guy to order this and Elmer T. Lee, and was blown off.
This is a very fun hobby.

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 08:23 AM
link   

I have heard much about the W.H Weller 12 year from many sources (Yearight being the most trusted one) but cannot seem to find it. I asked my local guy to order this and Elmer T. Lee, and was blown off.
This is a very fun hobby.

Let me see if I can track those down up here.

You still need to try Michter's and Whistlepig.

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Ugh scotch.

Now I'm just as much of a connoisseur of the fermented arts as anyone... but scotch ?

Can't get my nose past that horrid stuff !

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 10:23 AM
link   
a reply to: CranialSponge

I am right there with you. I guess my taste buds aren't refined enough yet. But damn do I like bourbon.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join