It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christian Bigotry

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 11:10 AM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

Give me a break! I don't have conversation with people who disrespect the other side and have zero empathy for the others perspective. I've seen a lot of Christian try to put forth some sources and are completely disrespected by others.

Your tone indicates that the other argument is afraid of your known facts and expertise. So in order for us to have a healthy conversation the other side has to completely kneel before the other argument?

I don't have conversations like that because I'm an adult

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 01:06 PM
link   

i just proved it was essentially a bunch of former catholics, turned atheist, that made the other ancient beliefs into things to be disrespected and then enforced that position at the academic level. how does that end up being the fault of christians? i'm tellin ya, if you try hard enough, you might find a way to make it the fault of christians that the sun shines and the rain falls.

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 01:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: windword
a reply to: WarminIndy

I'm back, just came to this thread and had to just ask that question.

Yes! I see you're back! Welcome back and Warm hugs....you [..]!

How can Jesus not be about facts and forced obedience if Jesus never existed?

How can "we" discuss the relationship of Luke Skywalker to "His" Father (not to mention his sister that he ALMOST boinked!).....while "we" know it's just modern mythological fiction, and Luke Skywalker never existed?!

It's just so.... abstract!!

Well thank you for the warm welcome back.

Let me share something, while I was gone, (internet problems) I thought about something someone said about "imaginary sky god". Now maybe you might be able to grasp what I am saying, and maybe BuzzyWigs also....

Now let's see, imaginary means that it comes from imagination. And since imagination resides in the non-tangible but very real mind, in a sense, Luke Skywalker does exist, because it is in a realm of consciousness brought to you courtesy of light and color magic. OK, so a lot of people behind the scenes were involved in creating it, but think of this. As the philosopher said "I think, therefore I am". Does that mean the thinker exists because he thinks, or does he think because he exists?

As infants, we do have a realm of consciousness because we become aware of our surroundings and perhaps to ourselves, we just can't express self-awareness. But a baby exists, regardless of whether he thinks about himself or not. So abstractly, because imagination is a product of electro-chemical processes that are very real and tangible, the mind that resides in the physical brain cannot be measured for tangibility.

However, as the processes that lead to an imagination, Luke Skywalker does allegorically exist within that realm. You are aware of Luke Skywalker only because your mind causes him to exist, if only in your mind. But Luke Skywalker exists in light and color, digitally chopped up and then remastered. The message of Star Wars is what is important, because that is a universal theme.

I say allegorically that Luke Skywalker does indeed exist, but exists in the realm of consciousness.

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 01:43 PM
link   

I say allegorically that Luke Skywalker does indeed exist, but exists in the realm of consciousness.

LOL! Okay, but your criteria for existence is really quite liberal!

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 01:59 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

Be comfortable with the mystery, it doesn't have to be one or the other -

Again - it's not just saying he was real or proving his was real, it is using that information as part of an agenda...

I'm close to giving up - I didn't think this was that complicated a point to express.

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 02:02 PM
link   
a reply to: JDmOKI

I appologize? I wasn't trying to rant, just was trying to be complete...

I don't know, maybe I'm bad at this, I probably should have known better then to take a stab at a religious topic on the internet.

Blah.

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 02:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: windword

LOL! Okay, but your criteria for existence is really quite liberal!

Do I not always say I think outside of the box?

Schizophrenics believe their delusions are real, that world in their mind does exist for them. While we might see their expressions of fear, paranoia and violence, if you asked them what their world was like, they would say it is real.

Someone diagnosed me with Schizotypal, and no surprise as my father was Schizophrenic and never treated for it. They say that people who have a first degree relative are genetically inclined to schizo disorders. But I know when a delusion is real or not.

But that is beyond faith, the things I have experienced outside of my mind gives me an understanding of the vastness of realms little understood. Reality is never beyond our experience, and the reality is that even if I die tomorrow, the world will still go around the sun and people will still be born. The reality is that my own existence is just a mere speck of time and space, I inhabit this 4 dimensional dot on the X and Y axis of 3 dimension, but living in the 4th.

Existence in ourselves is only subject to here and now, but I was before I thought about it. You don't have to think of reality for it to exist. Therefore, as you thought of Luke Skywalker, an image came into your mind, electro chemical processes fired up the notion of Mark Hamil with the light sabre and the growl of James Earl Jones declaring "I am your father".

The force is real enough that you cheered when Luke finally learned to use it. So if it exists in your mind, then it must be real because you had an emotional reaction to it. And that is spiritual.

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 02:22 PM
link   
a reply to: undo

i just proved it was essentially a bunch of former catholics, turned atheist, that made the other ancient beliefs into things to be disrespected and then enforced that position at the academic level. how does that end up being the fault of christians? i'm tellin ya, if you try hard enough, you might find a way to make it the fault of christians that the sun shines and the rain falls.

Sorry, undo - what did you prove?
I had to do my taxes....

what do you mean I could find a way to make it their "fault" we have weather?

It is a proven that fundie religion HARMS KIDS. But that was in another thread, and the OP appears to have the credentials to be respected and taken seriously. I think it's really funny how when people join ATS who have educations and expertise and contribute intelligently to these kinds of threads, they are trashed by trolls who just dismiss their views out of ignorance and/or because they don't know the subject.

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 02:30 PM
link   

i think the case can be made that since there are logical and illogical people in every world view, caring and uncaring, educated and uneducated, cruel and kind, that it really isn't a case of world views, but a case of the human capacity to be as little or as much as they decide is relevant to them. there's perfectly logical arguments against every type of world view

for example the view that insists there's no afterlife, when they can't prove it. or the view that has faith in an afterlife because what a waste of energy otherwise. my mom was amazingly wonderful human being. it would be a huge loss to the universe, eternity and so on, if her life was meant to be nothing more than a series of eating and defecating, after which worms eat and defecate her remains and bacteria eat and defecate their remains and the plants grow, so it can start all over like some totally unfeeling, uncaring, mindless automated cycle.

we are not borg, buzzy.
edit on 13-4-2015 by undo because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 02:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs

Sorry, undo - what did you prove?
I had to do my taxes....

what do you mean I could find a way to make it their "fault" we have weather?

It is a proven that fundie religion HARMS KIDS. But that was in another thread, and the OP appears to have the credentials to be respected and taken seriously. I think it's really funny how when people join ATS who have educations and expertise and contribute intelligently to these kinds of threads, they are trashed by trolls who just dismiss their views out of ignorance and/or because they don't know the subject.

BuzzyWigs, didn't you know that Wikipedia and youtube education is all that is required nowadays to make one educated?

It is so horrible now that in order to talk to people, we have to grudgingly refer to both of those sources. But I, on the other hand, prefer to read the actual books by authors. Somehow I think book learnin' is at the way side.

We might not agree many times, but if I tell you something, it will be from the source.

Ahh, the old fashioned days of readin', writin' and arithmetic. So sad to see it fall away.

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Sure enough! I'm currently rereading Chris Carter's book Science and the Afterlife Experience: Evidence for the Immortality of Consciousness

The thing is, one needn't believe in Jesus, or a personal God, to believe in an afterlife experience. I feel the same way about my dad as you do about your mom.
My mom is still living, and she, interestingly, HAS become an atheist - when she was quite mesmerized with the whole "church" thing for decades - even was the Acolyte Mother in her church, and taught Sunday school from the time she was a teenager long before that.

Now, she believes we are "stardust" - our energy moves on.
I believe in reincarnation, but she doesn't. And we have a great time talking about all that stuff together.

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 02:40 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

luke skywalker represents one of cleopatra's twin children (she had boy and girl twins with marc antony), leia equals the other twin, the female. anakin represents jesus, which for some reason, george lucas decided would be credibly represented by the holy roman empire, who is darth vader (and the emperor, of course). lol

i can do this all day. lol
edit on 13-4-2015 by undo because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 02:40 PM
link   

I'm glad you're back, my friend!
You always make sense, even if we see things differently. You are perhaps my favorite "Christian".

I, too, am a big fan of BOOKS - I will NEVER give up my library, and recently told my mom I wanted her and dad's library when she goes on from her mortal coil. One day the grid will go down, and those of us who keep real libraries will have the resources needed to keep civilization going.

The internet is great, I spend hours nearly every day on the internet, but hard copy, physical books and magazines are all that will be left when our civilization dies. What good are a bunch of unusable electronic devices and silver discs if no one knows how to use them, let alone what they are?

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 02:42 PM
link   

ah yes, i see afterlife as having a passworded entry, and the password is jesus.

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 02:44 PM
link   

And that's where we part ways, but, I still like you and admire your knowledge of ancient civilizations.

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 02:45 PM
link   

And that's where we part ways, but, I still like you and admire your knowledge of ancient civilizations.

well thanks! i like you too.

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 02:56 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

Hater, Bigot blah, blah, blah.

Pot, meet kettle.

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 02:57 PM
link   

I'm glad you're back, my friend!
You always make sense, even if we see things differently. You are perhaps my favorite "Christian".

I, too, am a big fan of BOOKS - I will NEVER give up my library, and recently told my mom I wanted her and dad's library when she goes on from her mortal coil. One day the grid will go down, and those of us who keep real libraries will have the resources needed to keep civilization going.

The internet is great, I spend hours nearly every day on the internet, but hard copy, physical books and magazines are all that will be left when our civilization dies. What good are a bunch of unusable electronic devices and silver discs if no one knows how to use them, let alone what they are?

Yes, exactly, the grid will go down. All these people who have relied on electricity to power their internet and tablets, TPTB are going to take it away.

Just think, they drove Tesla to suicide when he had the knowledge to provide better electrical transmission, but Edison had him go bankrupt while Edison benefited from it. TPTB control it all and if one does not know how to read or write effectively, they will never communicate effectively.

As a Christian, I see the same future you do, a world where TPTB will keep people ignorant, and they are doing it as we speak.

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 03:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Herolotus

There is a wealth of documentary evidence about the existence of Jesus (even from sources antagonistic to Christianity) but of course, if you dismiss every bit of evidence because it is "religious", then there isn't any.

However, after two millennia, there isn't likely to be much physical trace, is there? I mean, there's no remains, but then those pesky Christians claim he rose again and then went up to heaven.

But perhaps the existence of a major world religion (with many offshoots) points irrefutably to the existence of an originator? Nah, why would one ever think that?

So there's no proof.
... except for all those Christian writings.
... and those reasonably contemporary secular writings that mention Jesus Christ.
... and the histories of most of the other people mentioned in the New Testament.
... and the places, major events and customs all being as described in Christian accounts.
... and the lists of people martyred for adhering to their story.

How bigoted of those damn believers.

edit on 13/4/2015 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 04:49 PM
link   
@Herolotus: I appreciate your post and found it to be well-stated. I admire your dedication and study that you put forth on this subject. I've only been learning about this subject less than a year and have a lot of respect for those who have pursued the knowledge today and in the past when the work was so very much more difficult to research.
I think you're line of " To start with a preconcieved notion corrupts the entire process, and nothing you discover can henceforth be trusted. " is very well said and is indicative of the many posts we see here by people of the Christian faith. To hold onto all the falsities that are being proven erroneous with such fervor instead of simply embracing their tenets only highlights the problems with the modern-day Christian.

@infolurker: Your self-righteous posts only serve to exemplify the words of the OP, so that's appreciated. As an atheist/anti-theist myself, I feel the need to address your accusations against the OP as not at all accurate. There is nothing in his posting that alludes to being anti-Christian. Rather, the post is showing how incorrect it is to respond to the lack of physical evidence with defiance and claims based on blind faith.
Also, you're the one who has brought up the Crusades and witch burnings as if those are something to be tossed aside in consideration of the wrongdoings of Christianity. By all means, elaborate on the glory those events bring upon the Christian faith.

@believerPriest: Your entire post is just you justifying your beliefs based on your personal faith - none of which are backed up like you ask the OP to do. Your line of "My words may sound foolish to you, but keep in mind that you do not know what has been revealed to me." tells me there's no point in trusting anything you have to say.

I am personally reveling in the knowledge I continue to learn about that there is no proof of a historical Jesus because this solves yet another lie within my life that has been affected and twisted due to primarily Christian belief systems. It's a very important piece in the puzzle I've been solving for years now. One by one, these attributes that are supposedly absolute truths in the eyes of many of the population are now not necessarily truths at all. I love that we live in this modern day and with the internet, have the capability to learn unlike before, where the only knowledge available to the common man required intensive study away from his close-minded peers(if he could even get away). I've made so much progress thanks to this.
edit on 13-4-2015 by gottaknow because: Bolded names for formatting. One of these days, I'm going to get it all right the first time.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join