It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We live in a Simulated Reality

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2015 @ 05:20 PM
link   
you might find this explanation interesting, op…

basically backs up the idea w science:

the science of death faking Chuck Missler
youtu.be...

posted on Apr, 15 2015 @ 10:12 PM
link   
a reply to: johnwick

John I tried to pm you but I guess I don't have enough posts yet or something.

Please email me at [email protected] . I have been in your shoes. My heart is breaking for you. E-mail me let's chat and get you fixed up.

In case john doesn't get back to this thread can someone who can pm tell him to come here.
edit on 15-4-2015 by Raxusillian because: last paragraph

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Sorry to break it to everyone. There is no god/God. There is no soul. We are only our experiences and react to that.

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Sorry to break it to everyone. There is no god/God.
a reply to: ArcAngel

Don't worry, HE loves you just the same.

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 12:39 AM
link   
Most of us do. It's called our mind.

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 12:49 AM
link   
You might have it backwards. Simulations simulate reality. Reality does not simulate simulations.

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 07:23 PM
link   
a reply to: pikestaff

AI....self replicating programming robots.....and stuff

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 07:27 PM
link   
a reply to: ArcAngel

Thank you for figuring out one if the greatest mysteries in the universe. I can rest easy now.

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 07:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Belcastro
This Universe we experience is not the true reality that our minds exist within. Instead your senses you see, hear, smell, touch, taste are all a projection.

Sorry I am late for the party... This is a very interesting opening post, and I do agree with much of your basic argument regarding our brain projecting an image of our reality.

However, one could also argue that this simulated reality would then be actually the same as the Original in the sense that we never experience anything outside of our awareness regardless. Every perception, sensation, etc., is an electronic configuration created by the brain based on what our senses signal the brain with - as you point out.

So we think we are seeing an actual object, but that object is actually an image we perceive, and in fact, because it takes time for the object's image to be created through these processes, we are not even perceiving what the object necessarily looks by the time we see the image - i.e., we are perceiving a memory of that object.

So not only are we not directly experiencing the object (only an electronic representation of it), but the object in reality may have already changed from what our newly-formed memory is of it.

In other words, we are experiencing an approximation at best of what is our actual reality.

Whether simulated or apparently not simulated (the Original), it is necessary to transcend the illusion that the body-brain-mind is constantly creating, through the point-of-view-making machine of attention, as our virtual reality in each moment.

To do so requires discovering what transcends all conditions, virtual or apparently otherwise.

edit on 4/25/2015 by bb23108 because:

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 09:13 PM
link   
a reply to: bb23108

The brain in the jar argument goes like this. If a brain was placed in a jar, and all the nerves for sensory input were connected to a computer, and the computer was programmed to fire the same sensory input that would occur during the ordinary day, the brain would perceive and have a full and rewarding life . It would not know it was in a jar on a bench. The brain could think it was getting in a Taxi and going to the airport with its wife and kids etc. That would mean their is no difference between that brains perception, of reality and ours. Its not such a preposterous thought when the structure of material reality is examined, and found to have no solid structure apart from magnetic impulses , which after all are the same thing that gives the brain and us, a believable structured reality.

Once we have learned the necessary mental tools for making a structured reality, linear time, to organise input . We find that the mental tools are just that, thoughts, we think, therefore we are.

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 09:38 PM
link   
a reply to: anonentity
It's an interesting theory. But how does it account for awareness associating with the body-mind at the root of attention, which is subtler than the physical mechanism of the brain?

Attention is the mechanism that creates point-of-view and this constant activity is our sense of separate self. This is not simply a brain activity.

These simulated realities would have to take into account the full scope of the functions of body-brain-mind-attention and possibly, unqualified awareness. Attention is rooted in the causal body, well beyond the physical, and mind is of the subtle body. So those technicians have some real programming challenges!

Very cool to consider though.

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 09:58 PM
link   

When it boils down to it you just think you have a body mind. Its a memory thing. Its all a great thought. Their could be no material Universe, just the assumption that one was there. That's all it would need, plus a memory bank to refer to. Just to make sure it existed . The present is always the past, as far as memory recall goes.

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 12:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Belcastro

No, our reality is totally real. I suggest you do some research on quantum physics.

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 01:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: kingofching
a reply to: Belcastro

No, our reality is totally real. I suggest you do some research on quantum physics.

If its perceived as real then its real.

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 06:35 AM
link   
It's experiments like the double-slit test, with photons acting as waves and particles depending on observation, that really make the case of simulated reality for me. Why would something change as it's being observed? What really blows is that we can't find out because we are ALWAYS observing. If a tree falls in the woods and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound? The only way to definitively know is to observe and, therefore, taint the experiment.

It's quite maddening really.

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 06:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: anonentity

When it boils down to it you just think you have a body mind. Its a memory thing. Its all a great thought. Their could be no material Universe, just the assumption that one was there. That's all it would need, plus a memory bank to refer to. Just to make sure it existed . The present is always the past, as far as memory recall goes.

Yes, I agree that all our perceptions are memories as they take time to actually be formed in reality. Nothing ever happens outside of our awareness, so such simulations seem to be, at least in theory, possible. I wrote this in my posts above.

However, it is far more complex than needing just a memory bank, etc. because the apparent body-brain-mind complex is much more than the physical brain, its memory storage, etc.

Such a simulation, as I said earlier, would necessarily involve the point-of-view-making machine of attention, in order to simulate the observer function of mind, as well as other aspects - not to mention unqualified awareness. These are extremely subtle aspects of the being that science hardly has a clue about at this time.

edit on 4/26/2015 by bb23108 because:

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 04:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: bb23108

originally posted by: anonentity

Yes, I agree that all our perceptions are memories as they take time to actually be formed in reality. Nothing ever happens outside of our awareness, so such simulations seem to be, at least in theory, possible. I wrote this in my posts above.

However, it is far more complex than needing just a memory bank, etc. because the apparent body-brain-mind complex is much more than the physical brain, its memory storage, etc.

Such a simulation, as I said earlier, would necessarily involve the point-of-view-making machine of attention, in order to simulate the observer function of mind, as well as other aspects - not to mention unqualified awareness. These are extremely subtle aspects of the being that science hardly has a clue about at this time.

You make some good points, we could also add as a theoretical model just how many terabytes of memory have to be available for this, like how many would be required to store the total memories held in just one persons lifetime. I don't mean a dairy or historical record, but the full sensual experience from minute to retrievable minute, I d suggest unless their is something going on in the human body that we don't know about, it is far to much to store in one individual .But if we were part of the Quantum computer, we might believe we were something else and have a life etc., it might tally up. If we assume its some type of super computer, then nature already has a quantum computer, because that's what it is..If its a simulation we would have to use that type of model. In creating an infinite web, the one thing it must not do is make a mistake that destroys itself , in the simulation model that would be impossible. Memory is all about information retrieval, and linear reality is all about adding to the data bank in a time sequence to prevent operational chaos.

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 06:16 PM
link   
a reply to: anonentity
Let's say that such a simulation is built and the brain-mind is hooked up. The problem that would still persist is somehow getting unqualified awareness to associate with this brain-mind complex because if you really inspect awareness, it is not conditional and is our fundamental being.

Awareness or Consciousness is the "medium" that all conditions appear in, and the conditional appearance of the body-mind is fundamentally associated with awareness at the level of the causal being, with the root in the heart on the right side. This is where attention is rooted.

So the simulation will also need to include the subtle and causal bodies, so somehow this involves keeping the physical body-mind alive - at least enough so these other bodies (subtle and causal) still stay associated with it, along with our fundamental being, i.e., awareness.

So if people could be slowed way down physically, and fed intravenously, and then hooked into the simulation, this then seems more plausible to me. We could just avoid destroying the planet, using up all of its resources, no rush hour, and taking a break from all the other ordeals of the physical world - just choose our dream simulations each day! It would definitely sell - especially to our rich senior citizens!

Hey, this sounds similar to the movie "Brainstorm" which dealt with some of these possibilities over 30 years ago. Plus an outrageous ending showing what many would do with such technology!

en.wikipedia.org...(1983_film)

This is also sounding like Total Recall. Hmmm, now I see - I may be experiencing this idea in a simulation.

edit on 4/26/2015 by bb23108 because:

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 06:23 PM
link   
a reply to: JUhrman

Do you know what we eat over here?
And YOU ask that?

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 10:25 PM
link   

We perceive that the human body, is made up of forty eight elements that to purchase costs about five dollars . Its the information on how they are put together, that creates an animated being, the chemicals by themselves do not self animate. They surround and cloak, the animation, they totally replace many times during the users lifespan. But elements in reality are a wave function, which don't exist in any material reality. Except in our perceptions of them . In that sense what we consider reality, is already a simulation, of infinite wave functions, locked into a learnt paradigm. In fact the human body has the definition of "machine" IE. it appears to elevate effort. Which might be described as an amplifier of the users will. Or a vehicle of expression. The users consciousness will still be around after it no longer animates the body, because it already exists, and cannot break the rules and destruct , because the violation would be to loose information, it will still have to have a reality to exist in, so it uses the infinite number of wave functions to establish one . I'm sure that's why we sleep, without it we cant establish the reality, and have to go offline for maintenance. or something like that.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join