It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Interesting Tornado Video from Illinois 4/9/2015

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Not sure if this video has been posted yet, haven't found it, but as many of you already know we (residents of Northern Illinois) had a tornado outbreak back on 4/9/2015. The largest tornado throughout the day was a E-F4 with sustained winds of 180-200 mph. Anyways, below is a video of the tornado that ripped through northern Illinois.

A North Carolina man passing through Illinois on a business trip was directly in the path of the EF-4 tornado that struck northern Illinois on Thursday April 9. The motorist, who was on Interstate 39, was just a few hundred feet from the tornado as it passed by. He recorded the twister on his iPhone while sitting in his truck.

“It look like it’s coming right towards me,” says the driver, identified as Sam S., by the man who posted the video to YouTube, Aaron Rooney. “I have honestly never been in a tornado before. ... It is coming right over the top of me. It’s totally scary. I don’t know really what else to do.”

Link to story

Anyone else surprised how calm this dude is? lol.. I know I would be swearing up a storm or crying or a combination of the two... hahahaha

Anyways, enjoy.. And Mods, if this is a double post I apologize..

edit on 12-4-2015 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 11:48 AM
link   
a reply to: jhn7537
I think I saw his sister the other night parking in the middle of a major highway after Party time in high heels.

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 11:55 AM
link   
The guy says: "I'd better back up to get under this bridge." and then says he's never been in a tornado before.

Well, no DUH! If you had, you'd know one of the worst places to be is under a bridge or over pass!

Great video, but he was just a bit too close to it, and should have just continued backing away from the area.

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 12:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: eriktheawful
The guy says: "I'd better back up to get under this bridge." and then says he's never been in a tornado before.

Well, no DUH! If you had, you'd know one of the worst places to be is under a bridge or over pass!

Great video, but he was just a bit too close to it, and should have just continued backing away from the area.

Yea, that's why I was surprised, you would think you would just turn around and book it... I'm not too familiar with tornados, but im sure a car going over 100 mph on the expressway can get away from it... I dunno, maybe I'm way off base here... hahaha

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 12:45 PM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

I never saw a tornado, I'm clueless. Why is not good to be under a bridge?

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 12:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Trueman

The wind gets caught under the bridge and intensifies, sucking you out. This is only hearsay, as I've never been under a bridge during a tornado. I have seen tornadoes, though. The one here in Dallas a few years ago that had the famous semis thrown in the air totally frightened me.

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 12:53 PM
link   

The way the wind works under them. It's sort of like when you put your finger over the end of the hose to make it spray more ... it's the same principle at work with a bridge and the wind.

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 01:08 PM
link   

I've been an avid watcher of the tornado chasers over the past few years and what I've noticed is a couple of things, firstly there's a lot more amateurs chasing now, it's only a matter of time before some of them get wiped out. Whether or not the guy from the video was chasing or not, I don't know, but he's a lucky idiot.

Secondly, I've seen other videos of this tornado and in one of them, people were actually driving right towards it just going on their way. With such stupidity rampant, there's a few lucky idiots still living.

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Thanks for those replies, who knows..., maybe you saved me.

edit on 12-4-2015 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Thanks for posting this - I live in Western Illinois. I noticed a pattern of severe storms in the last few decades.

It seems as soon as the storm gets close to 39, it goes Northeast or Southeast. So you have major storms staying pretty east of 39 or South of 80 - which is good because it avoids the City and populated suburbs. If that storm hit just 10 miles west, it would have been devastating because this is were Northern Illinois University is located with thousands of students living on and off campus.

I guess it's just luck but this lucky pattern has happened again and again. You might say it's because of the lake but the lake wouldn't make the storms move over 50 miles away - and generally they actually add to bad weather.

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 03:28 PM
link   
OMG that's close.

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 05:28 PM
link   
I watched this video last night...

I couldn't get around the fact that he does EVERYTHING wrong, and he was so casual about it. LOL.

It's incredible footage, so I'll give him that! - But the guy is an idiot!

He was essentially waiting to be killed... with ZERO effort to save his own life.

Truly unbelievable!

It's cool and all... But the stupidity of this guy pisses me off!

edit on 12-4-2015 by iunlimited491 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 05:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Trueman

This is what it is like to be under a bridge during a tornado:

www.youtube.com...

Haven't posted in a while, and forgot how to inbed Youtube. If anyone wants to, please do.

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Thanks for the thread bud.
Man that would be so exciting to be there and see that, im hoping Minnesota's sever storm season is good this year.
Bout ready to do me some storm chasing, been gettin the car all prepped and ready the last few days.

Peace.

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Thanks for those replies, who knows..., maybe you saved me.

Here are tornado tips, if you absolutely cannot get to a save shelter, then you need to get out of your vehicle and get down into a ditch or culvert..(I personally would go for the culvert if you could find that instead of a ditch..)

Here is a site that explains it.. its really important to know.. I grew up near tornado alley and these days even if you don't live there, like this gentleman you could be on a business trip or vacation and get caught in one..

www.srh.noaa.gov...
edit on 12-4-2015 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 09:07 PM
link   
a reply to: VeniVidi

Here ya go Man!

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 09:09 PM
link   

I live in Crete Ilinois. Right under Chicago. This happened on the 9th, My BirthDay and it was not very stormy here that day at all. If I remember. But I was in other realms that day so I could be mistaken! LOL!!! Cool Post! Love the Video!!!

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 09:12 PM
link   
a reply to: OpinionatedB

Good idea with this informative post! You may just have saved someone from doom!

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Common sense is a fading fast as the electronic age steals it away bit by bit. This guy is so stupid he probably should not be driving bumper cars let alone autos.

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Great video ! My hats off to this guy for being so clam and handling the situation so well.

Sure he might night have done the correct things But hey he was brave no doubt !

I would have been freaking the heck out !

top topics

<<   2 >>

join