It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aliens Attack!

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 06:47 AM
link   
a reply to: MysterX

Can only star you once, maybe a Mod might grant you an applause for me?

Well said on any account.

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 09:21 AM
link   
a reply to: bullcat dont be an idiot, the world is advanced as its ever been.

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 10:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: DJMSN
a reply to: jude11

Oh man...I must have put my foot in my mouth when I didn't mean too. I did not mean to detract from your thread as it is indeed a jewel in the broadcasting crown and great entertainment. I just wanted to make light of the fact that we haven't really come that far as our gullibility. Sorry if I stepped on your toes as it wasn't my intention just a dumb comment that we still fall for some of the simplest tricks in the book.

I was wondering what made Jude leave ATS... and now I know. Thanks a lot...

Just kidding! That's my new ATS hobby, blaming people for why Jude left. It's my coping mechanism...

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 12:07 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

If they came down firing lasers then yeah there would be panic but I think if a ship was spotted in orbit or parked in the sky I think we would be more curious than afraid , perhaps even excited .... I know I would.

I am sure the military would like to continue to tell us that there are no unauthorized craft violating our airspace. And the questions it would raise if they did come clean would certainly cause some degree of panic. People would start assuming that aliens are at least a possibility for any missing persons report, any unsolved murder, or even their missing pet. And what could the govt say? tough luck.

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 07:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Pinke
a reply to: jude11

I'm not sure why this one keeps coming up, but there is a lot of evidence to say that the reaction to the war of the worlds broadcast never happened. From memory it comes from a single source.

Anyone know anyone alive at the time who could confirm it? From my knowledge the panic is an urban legend.

originally posted by: ZetaRediculian
My father was 11 at the time and I know he talked about with me before and he is on a UFO kick right now. I will ask him about it tomorrow.

So I asked my dad about what he remembered. It took him a minute to understand what I was talking about because his hearing isn't too good but he knew what I meant when I described the Orson Welles radio show that caused panic. He does remember listening to it live and he does recall the hype that followed the next day. I asked if he believed it was real when he heard it and he said "no, I knew it wasn't real". Then I asked if it caused panic and he said "that's what they said" but said that he didn't think it really did but maybe somewhere it did. This was Camden NJ.

My dad, like me, is a "techie" and described the radio that the family would listen to. He described as having no case and the "guts" being exposed and that was all they had back then. and then he started talking about what he really wanted to talk about which is how all the current technology we have came from the UFOs. He's been binge watching the history channel.

So, that's it. Not sure if that sheds any light on it but he seems to think it was a non event except for the hype that followed.

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 07:41 PM
link   
a reply to: ZetaRediculian

Thanks Zeta.

I guess it's a story that suited everyone. It got the show business people some attention and viral marketing and I imagine the government of the time embraced having an excuse not to tell the public anything.

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 05:08 AM
link   
a reply to: ZetaRediculian

Your dad's account closely matches what I know about it (and have posted in this thread yesterday). There was no panic, actually, and that has been a known fact for decades. WotW frequently reappears in the public eye and each time it does scores of articles emerge in which this well know fact is pointed out. So, how anybody still can believe there really WAS a panic - beats me. I clearly recall, for example, the days when Jeff Wayne made his famous (and excellent) WotW album in 1978 and reading articles that debunked the story. I actually felt a bit disappointed

But even in the late 1930s the media were able to create a panice in hindsight. Welles exploited the sentiment cunningly, as a good showman should do IMHO. And there you have it.

Kudo's to your father.
edit on 14-4-2015 by ForteanOrg because: he wanted to add some punctuation and rephrased a sentence. Not a native English speaker, ya know.

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 05:24 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueMessiah

That kind of public reaction is one of the reasons for outright disclosure being avoided. Albeit that was an invasion scenario, this would wreck some people's worldview and push them to the extreme.

First, the panic is an urban legend. Second, the fact that some people took the broadcast seriously means that even back in the 1930s, people had already accepted the possibility that there was intelligent extraterrestrial life. If Welles had broadcast a scenario where the Martians said "we come in peace," no-one would have freaked out.

posted on Apr, 15 2015 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Just goes to show how easily programmable the human race really is.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join