It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aliens Attack!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 12:23 PM
link   
a reply to: jude11

Godzilla attacking Tokyo was so real in the cinemas at one time. Now we look for production faults instead of just enjoying.

Yeah. I mean, it's been said that when the movie theatre first showed a train on the screen coming at the camera people ran for cover because they thought the train was coming out at them. In this example and the example of the War of the Worlds it would actually be kind of fun to have that fear in the moment and then later go through the experience of realizing how ridiculous the thought was. I enjoy a good conspiracy but I'd rather believe this was a great story so well presented that people were unintentionally fooled as opposed to believing the government hired Welles to cause panic allowing them to cover things up in the future.
edit on 12-4-2015 by TheBolt because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 12:51 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

I give you "Avatar depression" a select group of weak minded individuals who were so sad that Pandora doesn't exist it bummed them out severely.
Impressionable people are all around us,while Brookings may be outdated in some respects if all at once there were objects over every city people WOULD freak out.
I don't know if just KNOWING aliens are real would have the same effect but I DO know that some who are debunkers would badly lose it if they found out UFOs are real.
Which of course THEY ARE.

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 01:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: cavtrooper7
a reply to: gortex

I give you "Avatar depression" a select group of weak minded individuals who were so sad that Pandora doesn't exist it bummed them out severely.
Impressionable people are all around us,while Brookings may be outdated in some respects if all at once there were objects over every city people WOULD freak out.
I don't know if just KNOWING aliens are real would have the same effect but I DO know that some who are debunkers would badly lose it if they found out UFOs are real.
Which of course THEY ARE.

I am well aware of the Avatar depression phenomenon and that's actually a great comparison.

The only difference being that people back then were easily fooled into believing something existed. Avatar depression was that it didn't exist so people knew it to be unattainable. People wanted to escape our reality for utopia.. Different but very similar.

Jude11

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Ooh, thank you for the link to the original jude! I'd heard of it and the commotion it supposedly caused, but never heard the actual broadcast. I will listen to it full blast tomorrow afternoon whilst gardening. Hopefully it won't panic the neighbours.

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 01:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: MissBeck

Ooh, thank you for the link to the original jude! I'd heard of it and the commotion it supposedly caused, but never heard the actual broadcast. I will listen to it full blast tomorrow afternoon whilst gardening. Hopefully it won't panic the neighbours.

I'm so glad I found someone who hasn't heard it!

Enjoy and please report back if needed.

Jude11

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 01:36 PM
link   
If people listening to that at the time thought it was real all they had to do is turn to other radio stations and see whether it was on there as well.

If not, and it wasn’t, then they could have relaxed and known it was a dramatic entertainment show.

So there is something strange about this whole tale.

Unless the martians only talk to CBS

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 01:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell
If people listening to that at the time thought it was real all they had to do is turn to other radio stations and see whether it was on there as well.

If not, and it wasn’t, then they could have relaxed and known it was a dramatic entertainment show.

At that time the Martians only owned CBS, it wasn't until the late 70's flap that they began consolidating public broadcasting. The simply didn't expect us to be so easily controlled.

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 01:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell

Since we don't live in those times, I guess we'll never know what truly transpired or what the people thought.

Strange huh? We can go back just a few 1000 years and be close to exact in our thinking of how people lived and thought through their art, tools, clothing, writing and homes in geological findings.

But in more recent times of the MSM, we are in doubt as to what transpired only 80 years ago.

I wonder what our descendants will think of us?

Jude11

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 02:45 PM
link   

It was and still is an absolute broadcasting landmark. Great story and a masterful telling. I love how you point out our gullibility and innocence then without realizing we haven't changed much, one form of media for another. I can post a you tube video about an invasion of the sun people and would have a lot of people believing it without using sound effects or even pictures just a robot voice so we really have not come that far.

Thanks for sharing the link, it is a remainder of a more innocent age and I hope many of the younger generations will give it a listen and that it sparks the imaginations of one and all.

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 03:20 PM
link   

That's interesting media. Thanks for the thread!

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Thanks Jude11 for reminding what an absolute cultural phenomenon HG Wells "War of the Worlds" remains even to this day.

The original War of the Worlds was written back in Victorian times set in southern England and remains a classic science fiction work to this day. I remember studying in school in the 1980s and it was actually one of the few books I was forced to read that I thoroughly enjoyed and can recommend to anyone who likes sci-fi books.

Some years later I also obtained a CD of the Orson Welles broadcast in 1938. Adapted for American audiences it still remains a brilliant adaptation and piece of theatre. Welles career was propelled upwards after the 'publicity it generated. Whether he knew exactly what he was doing, I'm not sure.

Then in 1953 came the full screen movie adoption.

Again, although the story was moved to 1950s America, the movie was another great adaptation and ground-breaking in it's day. In fact it came out not long after the 1952 Washington DC UFO flap and all the paranoia around that time (1952 was one of the peak years for Flying Saucer sightings across the US). If it's ever on TV or available on demand then if you love sci-fi also check it out.

By the 1970s Jeff Wayne had recruited Richard Burton as his narrator and created a musical based around HG Wells story. The album included Moody Blues lead singer Justin Hayward and many other famous names from the British rock scene of the time.

Wayne is an American but stuck firmly to HG Wells' plot set in Victorian England and enjoyed worldwide success with translations made in various languages. Although he was never able to recreate the formula he revived "War of the Worlds" as a stage show in the 21st century with some of the original cast and has since gone on to remake the album with all new cast and Liam Neeson as the narrator. It might annoy some of the purists but the stage show is actually rather good.

Zipping back over the pond and going back to 1988, Paramount launched a TV series based on the original 1953 film but set in the modern day. Apparently the martians hadn't died but had been in deep hibernation for 35 years.

I can't remember too much about it even though I remember having to record it on VHS as it was on too late to watch it on TV. Can anyone else remember it?

Then we had Spielberg's reworking in 2005. It retains a few plot lines from the original story.

I wasn't quite as impressed with this even though I usually like Spielberg's stuff.

Of course other "alien invasion" movies have used WoW as inspiration like "Mars Attacks" and "Independence Day" and many more recent productions. The basic template of the story has become a global meme.

I wonder, if back in the day, old HG really had any idea what he had really created?

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Dont think aliens need to attack. According to some writed documents aliens living on earth for long time. They not need to attack to extract earth resources or kidnap few peoples. They need working bees who live in their own small world who not thinking about other than humans life in universe. And then the plot to abduct humans starting to work. No one suspect alien kidnaping human if there will be still billion not kidnaped. Some humans just disapear and bodies not being found.

This happening all over the world. Not only US have abductions. We here in Europe few times searched for misteriously disapeared peoples and never found few. Searched each cm in 20 km2 and never found. Usually peoples getting from home to near by shop or food store in small vilages and they just disapearing.

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 04:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: DJMSN

It was and still is an absolute broadcasting landmark. Great story and a masterful telling. I love how you point out our gullibility and innocence then without realizing we haven't changed much, one form of media for another. I can post a you tube video about an invasion of the sun people and would have a lot of people believing it without using sound effects or even pictures just a robot voice so we really have not come that far.

Thanks for sharing the link, it is a remainder of a more innocent age and I hope many of the younger generations will give it a listen and that it sparks the imaginations of one and all.

An you are the person that was intended to read and enjoy this thread.

Why so many have to tear it apart, Dissect and analyze/criticize...I'll never know.

It's a fun moment in our history folks...Have fun.

Thanks for that.

JUDE11

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 04:20 PM
link   
To all listeners out there...

The way I understood it this particular HG Wells story was broadcast on Holloween and intended as a PRANK... yes, this means with the intension to fool people.

Maybe it is interesting to know that Orson, together wit his friend John Houseman produced the "Mercury Theatre on The Air" in 1938. Maybe these two used this prank in order to get some attention in the media world of those days. Nobody can say they failed to put his name or the "Mercury Theatre" on the map with this controversial broadcast.

Little deeper into the rabbit hole...

Orson Welles tried to be succesfull on the silverscreen but all the movies he played in were commercial failures. Therefore it is a little bit weird that he received the American Film Institute's Lifetime Achievement Award in 1984. The Directors Guild of America awarded him its highest honor too... the D.W. Griffith Award. It is after these awards he became more succesfull..

We, conspiracy buffs all know that artist who help TPTB with their little "experiments on the people projects" will be awarded with a briljant carreer in the entertainment business or otherwise. With this "experiments on the people projects" I refer of course to the reaction and behaviour of the people while listening to an alien invasion.

edit on 12/4/2015 by zatara because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 04:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: zatara
To all listeners out there...

The way I understood it this particular HG Wells story was broadcast on Holloween and intended as a PRANK... yes, this means with the intension to fool people.

Maybe it is interesting to know that Orson, together wit his friend John Houseman produced the "Mercury Theatre on The Air" in 1938. Maybe these two used this prank in order to get some attention in the media world of those days. Nobody can say they failed to put his name or the "Mercury Theatre" on the map with this controversial broadcast.

Many believe it was a Halloween prank that worked too well.

Jude11

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Oh man...I must have put my foot in my mouth when I didn't mean too. I did not mean to detract from your thread as it is indeed a jewel in the broadcasting crown and great entertainment. I just wanted to make light of the fact that we haven't really come that far as our gullibility. Sorry if I stepped on your toes as it wasn't my intention just a dumb comment that we still fall for some of the simplest tricks in the book.

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 08:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Pinke

I'm not sure why this one keeps coming up, but there is a lot of evidence to say that the reaction to the war of the worlds broadcast never happened. From memory it comes from a single source.

Anyone know anyone alive at the time who could confirm it? From my knowledge the panic is an urban legend.

My father was 11 at the time and I know he talked about with me before and he is on a UFO kick right now. I will ask him about it tomorrow.

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 09:06 PM
link   
I agree this, while "fake", was a perfect testing ground for the public's immediate reaction. Some will be baffled, others curious, others will just plain panic, I used to want nothing but see a UFO, now I'm not so sure.

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 09:44 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueMessiah

That is very unlikely that few people were listening. Good Lord, there were only a few national networks in those days and that program was one of the most listened to shows.

Jude11: I hope I helped provoke you into staying and arguing with us. An outside source is always welcomed (even when they have a bad day sometimes and share it).
edit on 12-4-2015 by Aliensun because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 06:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Aliensun

The event was significant - but only because Welles was a showman and he carefully exploited the so-called 'craze'. So-called craze, as actually almost nobody fell for it. Come on, it was Halloween and people were not backward in those days either.

Did a lot of people hear the broadcast? Did they respond to it with mass-panic? No, and no.

The night the program aired a ratings service telephoned 5,000 households for its national ratings survey. Just 2 percent were listening to Welles show. None were panicking. That's a measly 60.000 radio's.. hardly enough to cause a nationwide 'mass panick'.

So, where did the myth originate? Mainly in newspapers that came out the next day. Radio was still young in those days, but provided - for the first time - a very cheap source of information and entertainment to all, everywhere. There are those that suspect that the newpapers had a field day outlining the hazards of their biggest competitor: the radio. And though everybody knew the difference between a play and a news-report, a few were tricked, as they tuned in on Welles' show after they had listened to another popular show and missed the introduction.

Welles, being a showman, exploited it to the max, with apologies and all.

Occams razor again, folks. Not an alien in sight here..

The script is well worth a read.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join