It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Be Wary of Bipartisanship

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 05:52 AM
link   
Is it good when countries with majority two party political factions agree on issues or agree to support the passing of new legislation? Many would answer by stating that yes it is indeed good when this happens. After all, isn't it good that instead of fighting and trying to antagonise the other side, both political parties can come together and pass legislation amicably?

For me, bipartisan support for controversial issues sets off alarm bells. I'm not talking about straightforward issues, but rather contentious ones. I'm not promoting the idea, either, that because one party takes a certain view, the other one should automatically take the opposing view out of spite. What I am suggesting is that on issues with more than one logical, plausible and reasonable side, bipartisan support should not be as common as it appears to be at present.

It seems that when it comes to issues that keep us fighting, both factions are happy to play the role of worthy adversary to the other party. They are keen to fill the role of contrarian and make life harder for the other side to pass legislation. Conversely, when it comes to issues that take away rights and limit freedoms of average citizens, they suddenly see eye to eye and support the goals of their controllers. Why is this the case?

When citizens that lack the ability to think critically see there is bipartisan support on an issue, they tend to assume that the piece of legislation being passed is necessary for their security and well-being. Such is the reason why things will probably never change.

Edit: Fixed spelling mistake in title.

edit on 12/4/2015 by Dark Ghost because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 06:02 AM
link   
Ill stick with being an anarchist .. prefer to think for myself .. be responsible for my own actions .. and help those I see along the way who need help ..

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 06:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Dark Ghost

(I think you mean be wary of bipartisanship?

bipartisanship is when Republicans cave in to democrat demands. when Republicans stand for their values they're being obstructionist.

when democrats refuse to go allow with Republicans they are standing on principle.
(so the media establishment spins it)

one party's 'special interest group' is another party's 'core constituency'.

when both parties agree it is often not a good thing (pay raises for congress, for example).

the Founding Fathers established this bicameral legislative system with checks and balances precisely to limit gummint action.

edit on 12-4-2015 by works4dhs because: add helpful line

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 08:12 AM
link   
a reply to: works4dhs

I could say the exact same thing, in reverse. Easily, actually, since there's a lot of, shall we say, unpleasantness in today's Konservative Party?

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 08:26 AM
link   

All very true. The left/right game is just that -- a game. And we're the losers every time. All of us. Even when we think we "won."

Divide and conquer.

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 09:16 AM
link   

top topics

join