It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This video could save your life!! w/ Jeff Rehman Fire fighter/Paramedic

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 06:29 PM
link   
My sister shared this video and I thought I would pass it along to you. This video shows how to possibly save yourself if you're choking. My friend's dad choked to death on a piece of meat and I wish he'd have seen this. He might be alive today. I would hate for you or your loved ones to suffer a similar fate and that's why I'm posting this. Take care. Stay safe. I hope you never have to use this but if you do, just remember this video.

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 06:55 PM
link   
So, if you have a large belly, is he saying it will not work? Why can't I push up on my stomach to dislodge an obstruction?

www.nlm.nih.gov...
edit on 11-4-2015 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Very interesting and, I imagine, very effective...if you can do that.

Unfortunately, the natural response to choking is to stand up with hands at the throat.

It's very hard to do anything else or think straight.

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Just a thought - wonder if it would be more effective for the larger folks if they threw themselves onto their fists (in the stomach area)...

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 07:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: coldkidc
Just a thought - wonder if it would be more effective for the larger folks if they threw themselves onto their fists (in the stomach area)...

Yes, but exactly how do you push up once all your weight is on your fists?

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 07:29 PM
link   
I'd guess you have to be physically fit enough to do a push up....
edit on 11-4-2015 by coldkidc because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 08:37 PM
link   
There is another way to dislodge an obstruction when you're by yourself. You're supposed to use the back edge of a chair.

If available, lean over the back of a chair and press hard on your abdomen and chest to expel the object or attempt to use your fists to give yourself abdominal thrusts (Heimlich Maneuver).

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 09:20 PM
link   

a reply to: InTheLight
Roll over.

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 09:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

This is indisputably the most promising bit of emergency medical advice that I have come across lately. Simple, memorable and hopefully effective.

Thanks for putting it up even though I hope none of us ever needs it!

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 10:40 PM
link   
This is a great piece of advice.

Paramedics know more in certain cases like inserting a needle into a collapsed/dehydrated vein, even Doctors and nurses couldn't, call in a paramedic, they tap it quickly. ' Shrugs '

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 08:14 AM
link   

I don't know about large belly. I know it would be a bad idea while pregnant, as it would harm the baby.

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 08:16 AM
link   
a reply to: WeRpeons

I heard about that one. I didn't think to post it. Thanks for doing so.

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 08:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: donktheclown

Roll over.

That rather defeats the purpose of the initial manoeuvre.

posted on Apr, 18 2015 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Years ago, I was at home alone, eatting Nacho's.

I got a chip caught in my throat. I could feel it scrapping the inside of my esougus.(sp)

I stood and and ran fast (about 20 feet) and threw myself onto the kitchen counter.

It dislodged the chip, and I was able to breath again. scared the hell outta myself. I had a sore torso for a couple of days and I didn't eat alone for a long time after that.

edit on 18-4-2015 by crappiekat because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2015 @ 12:32 PM
link   
a reply to: crappiekat

That's one way to do it. I'm glad it worked.

posted on Apr, 18 2015 @ 01:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

I appreciate this thread.

We never think of a goofy thing like that happening to us. I mean really, it never crossed my mind that I would be in such a position.
I worked in the the school system and also had other activities that children were involved. So for me it has been a requirement to have First Aid, CPR, etc.. classes at least every couple of years.

But for others, it's not a part of there lives, and they just don't think about it, so people will panic and just start running around.

It's nice to have a reminder
s&f

top topics

join