It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Old Faithful blowing black smoke !!!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 07:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: theabsolutetruth
According to USGS, currently status at Yellowstone is reported as:

volcanoes.usgs.gov...

Wednesday, April 01, 2015 12:40 PM
Current Volcano Alert Level: NORMAL
Current Aviation Color Code: GREEN

There we go. All is well.
Good on you for checking!

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 08:01 PM
link   
a reply to: WP4YT

It's a large one no doubt, but it's not the largest. I think there are larger ones out there. Toba is much bigger. Over 1,000 miles.

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 08:07 PM
link   
a reply to: smirkley

Steam can hit 350+ c non pressurized and 1500+c pressurized so arguable steam can melt alot of stuff.
I doubt there is a tire in there though

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Been going to Yellowstone for years, never saw or heard of this before. Ah well.

But alas, I asked for it lol. Have fun.

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Does that mean there will be a new Pope?

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 10:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74
a reply to: Answer

Oh Bugger
Has it done anything like this before? or any others?.

Yes, the world has completely exploded at least 7 other times, that scientists know of.

But it got better.

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 11:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: WP4YT

originally posted by: smirkley
a reply to: Baddogma

Old Faithful is a guyser, not a volcano.

No, but old faithful sits directly on top of the largest volcano in the world.

Not quite the largest, but close.

Largest volcanoes

And for magma chambers.

Super volcanic magma chambers

In semi modern time, it would be Toba by a small amount.

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 12:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: ItVibrates
I would suggest a faulty catalytic converter, but if its still under warranty then take it back to the dealer and make them fix it.

my first thought when seeing black smoke is to much fuel for some reason.

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 12:53 AM
link   
a reply to: hounddoghowlie
Na if its running rich that would be a more blueish smoke I think??? Either way, its time to call a Volvo mechanic... I mean volcano mechanic.

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 03:24 AM
link   

here's a thought, could it be fracking causing oil / gases to seeping into the magma chamber or the rock above it and it's burning off.

i've read that that the EPA, found that fracking fluids can travel long distances, then i've read that the DOE says it can't.

also there was a report back in July of last year that that oil was bubbling up and they had to close firehole lake drive.

Specifically, it appears that this access road in Yellowstone National Park overheated and started to melt after hot oil built up below it and eventually worked its way towards the surface and came in contact with the asphalt.
“Extreme heat from surrounding thermal areas has caused thick oil to bubble to the surface, damaging the blacktop and creating unsafe driving conditions on the popular, scenic road, located off the Grand Loop Road halfway between Old Faithful and Madison Junction in the park’s Lower Geyser Basin.”
Access Road in Yellowstone National Park Literally Melts

iirc, the geysers release gases. mostly steam, carbon dioxide, neon, argon, helium and methane which is the only one that is flammable.

so what i'm wondering is if, with all the quakes happening, could it cause the rock between the magma chamber to open enough to let any of the above enter and then burn off. my understanding is the rock between the chamber and water is kinda porous maybe that is why.

just a thought.

edit on 12-4-2015 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 03:41 AM
link   
Could be something to with what this sites analysis is....Old Faithful caldera

Any earthquakes nearby recently...?

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 04:02 AM
link   

check this out, going by the date on the second video published Apr 9, 2015. it seems that this is schedule to happen. they are mapping with ground penetrating radar, so they say.

From April 9 to 13, 2015, scientists will be using Ground Penetrating Radar (GPR) to map what lies below the ground around Old Faithful Geyser. Team members will be visible walking off the boardwalks around the cone of Old Faithful.
Old Faithful Geyser Streaming Webcam

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 09:56 AM
link   
a reply to: ItVibrates
Too much fuel is whitish smoke , too much air is black (only under burning conditions) .

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 10:09 AM
link   
After looking at the video, I am pretty sure the steam is still white it is just being shadowed. If you look towards the top of the plume where it starts to edge out of shadow the dark vapor lightens up. Also towards the end of the video you can see the shadow moving off and the vapor coming out of the vent is in fact white. I suspect clouds being the culprit here.

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 11:29 AM
link   
a reply to: ItVibrates
a reply to: here4this

again as i said it is a fuel problem, being rich is part of fuel and the smoke is black.
here are a couple of links.

from ASE (ASE, is short for the National Institute for Automotive Service Excellence.)

Blue/Gray Smoke:
Blue/gray exhaust smoke is an indication of oil burning in the combustion chamber. These are possible symptoms and causes: Valve Seals: Leaking valve seals will cause blue/gray exhaust smoke. Valve Guides: Excessive clearance between the valve stem and the valve guide allows oil to leak past the gap into the cylinder. Piston Rings: Worn or damaged piston rings will cause blow-by, resulting in blue/gray smoke. Worn Cylinder Walls: Worn cylinder walls cause blow-by, resulting in blue/gray smoke. PCV System: A stuck closed PCV valve causes excessive crankcase pressure, resulting in blue/gray smoke.
Black Smoke:
Black exhaust smoke is an indication of a rich fuel condition. These are possible causes: Fuel Injectors: A leaking or dripping fuel injector will cause a rich fuel condition. Fuel Pressure Regulator: A stuck closed fuel pressure regulator will cause a rich fuel condition. Fuel Return: A restricted fuel return line will cause a rich fuel condition. White/Gray Smoke:
White exhaust smoke is an indication that coolant is burning in the combustion chamber. These are possible causes: Cylinder Head: A crack in the cylinder head (around the coolant jacket) will cause coolant to enter the combustion chamber. Engine Block: A crack in the deck of an engine block near the coolant jacket will cause coolant to enter the combustion chamber. Head Gasket: A damaged or blown head gasket will cause coolant to enter the combustion chamber resulting in white/gray smoke coming from the tailpipe.
Exhaust Color Diagnosis

Black smoke is caused when the mix of fuel and air inside the engine becomes un-balanced. Normal mixture is 14.5 parts air to1 part fuel. When the fuel to air mixtures change because of a malfunction the mixture can go as high as 14.5 to 2 or 3, two to three times the proper amount. The black smoke seen from the tail pipe is the excess fuel generated from the rich mixture. Malfunctions in fuel delivery or a leaking fuel pressure regulator will cause black smoke to be produced. The fuel injection system atomizes fuel by pushing it through a small nozzle of the fuel injector while under pressure. The computer system measures vacuum and air flow into the engine intake manifold to determine a proper amount of fuel that should be released. Airflow is controlled by the throttle body or throttle valve actuator (throttle) as fuel is distributed directly in each cylinder. The process of measuring the amount of fuel a fuel injector is dispersing is determined by the PCM (powertrain control module - computer).
Black Smoke From Exhaust Pipe

here is a simple experiment you can do. Warning be careful it can be dangerous.
take any naturally aspirated engine ( carburetor/ carbureted) and pour a little more gas down the thoart of it and was the smoke that come out of the exhaust pipe it will be black. that's one way to tell if it's flooding.

another tip, on most naturally aspirated engines, the exhaust pipe if running right should look like the build up you see on spark plugs, should be more of a greyish white. means it is burning clean. on fuel injection from what i've noticed and been told that's not the case. they are black due to the initial fuel not burning completely on start up. same with diesels.

if you have to much black smut build up or black smoke coming from the exhaust on gas or diesel engines, you have a fuel problem which can and does include mixture ratio.

ETA: i know that it says in the ASE link that White/Gray Smoke means coolant, i'm talking about the build up in the tail pie if running right.

sorry about off topic.

edit on 12-4-2015 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Anyone else feel slightly depressed that when the volcano erupts such a beautiful place as Yellowstone will be laid waste?
Im talking in general regards to the inevitable eruption be it tomorrow or 20,000 years from now.

Just walking around the place and thinking,"Wow, all this will be gone when that volcano erupts some day."

Kind of sad I guess.

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 12:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: ugmold
Does that mean there will be a new Pope?

The Pope did say he thinks his reign will be short.

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 02:19 PM
link   
a reply to: snowen20

Half the continental US as well as a large percentage of the population will be gone if it erupts.

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 08:34 PM
link   
a reply to: hounddoghowlie

I don't think it has anything to do with fracking and here is why.

A good friend of mine grew up near Yellowstone and he said all the video's he is looking at are disturbing.

I asked him if it was the black smoke and his reply was "yes, partly but what really worries me is that this time of year there should be lots of snow still on the ground."

I said. "How much?"

His reply was at least 5 to 7 feet.

Something is going on for sure.

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 09:58 PM
link   

The second video, it's hard to see what;s going on. The first one, though.....that's not good! That's a very volcanic area, I believe, more of a mega-volcano. Black smoke is not a good sign. The video is dated from January, at least the posting, so pretty recent. Creepy stuff!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join