It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Apples That Do Not Brown When Cut

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 08:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
They can splice genes from one apple to another, picking and choosing which genes they want to splice, and it is not considered GMO and nothing has to be reported other than a name. You can splice a gene out of a watermellon to an apple and it is not GMO. These foods still aren't natural though. Our body creates enzymes to break things down based on triggers in the food we eat. Did these triggers get changed?

Asparaganes turn to acrylamides during the maliard reaction. People associate this to browning things. Now just sitting meat will darken, so will lettuce, the reaction deals with oxidation to some extent. Asparagines are calming foods. It is the same as eating caramels if they oxidize. Why would someone want to take the calming properties out of foods.

We are changing food chemistry way too fast, and the people doing this are not testing everything. They ignore the lost properties of the foods. In order to digest foods, we need to oxidize it. Slowing oxidation may not be that good of an idea.

Thanks, rickeymouse, for explaining this.

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 08:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Thebel
It depends on apple how fast they brown. Some take really long time, some almost instantly. It's linked in acidity of apple, the more acidic, the slower it turns brown. Some apples are so acidic that you don't see browning at all.

Interesting info.

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 09:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Serdgiam
a reply to: QuailSeed

Try putting lemon juice on the sliced apples.
I think there are a couple of other options too, but have never used them!

You're right. When I was growing up, my grandmother used to use a powdered substance (citric acid maybe?) called Fruit Fresh or something like that. The problem is that it does change the flavor of the fruit somewhat. Plus the anti-browning effect (of the powder) only lasts for so many hours, not even half a day.

Fresh lemon or lime juice does sound better. Just have to remember to have them around when you have fruit that browns.

This just reminded me of how my mother used to prepare fresh peaches.

After dunking the peaches in hot water, then dunking them in cold (or iced if you have enough ice) water (the skins would just slip off then), she would prepare a simple syrup with plenty of fresh lemon juice & lemon slices (you want the flavor of the lemon oil from the peel). The fresh lemon syrup prevented the peach slices from browning.

edit on 11-4-2015 by QuailSeed because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 09:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: FyreByrd

originally posted by: QuailSeed

originally posted by: Expat888
Never had problem with apples turning brown after cutting .. got fuji apple tree that planted in garden this year looking forward to when it start bearing ..

Wow, that is weird. Browning apples are a real problem if you're using apple slices for a fruit tray or just want to cut an apple in half and save the rest in the frig. Get's gross looking fast.

How long do you have to wait before the tree bears fruit?

No it's not, just put the cut apples in a bath of Vitamin C for a few seconds and viola no browing. Simple.

So you just use powdered Vitamin C dissolved in water! Why didn't I think of that? Of course, that's why I have a vague memory of that powdered Fruit Fresh (or whatever it was called back then) stuff containing citric acid.

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 09:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ex_MislTech
Just like whole foods was caught lying about GMOs I think
these apples are GMO as well.

GMO apples

Whole foods knowingly selling monsanto corn

Thanks for the links. The first article mentions "Arctic Apples", which butcherguy has already alerted us to on this thread. This latest FDA approval is dated February 2015, very recent. Those items ( 2 variety of apples ) will not be hitting the US market until 2017, if the article is to be believed. The 6 varieties of potatoes will be available to us in a matter of months.

I think the Arctic Apples are Canadian. The article does not mention the name the other apple or the varieties of the potatoes.

The second article shows Whole Foods employees lying to customers with hidden cameras.
I didn't watch the whole video yet. I wonder if the WF employees weren't lied to themselves.
It seems that GMO corn is hidden in many WF products.

Who can we trust?
edit on 11-4-2015 by QuailSeed because: Needed to add info & correct info.

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 03:11 AM
link   

I just tried 3 apples that I had never heard of before. None of them brown when cut open.

I picked up the "Opal" apple at a Trader Joe's; the "Kiku" and "Envy" apples at a regular supermarket.

My first thought was these must be GMO. But not according to the info online.

The Opal apple is a European hybrid, cross between a Golden Delicious and a Topaz.

The Kiku apple is a spontaneous, naturally-occurring variation of the Fuji apple.

The Envy apple is a cross between the Braeburn and the Royal Gala developed in New Zealand. It's about twice as expensive as the other two. Larger too.

All three are delicious, really delicious. I'm really fussy about apples. I don't normally buy apples this time of year. Fall is the best time.

Is this just old news to the rest of you here?

Apples go brown when cut because of the free radicals in the air. If these applies don't go brown, they may be GMO?

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 07:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Azureblue

I just tried 3 apples that I had never heard of before. None of them brown when cut open.

I picked up the "Opal" apple at a Trader Joe's; the "Kiku" and "Envy" apples at a regular supermarket.

My first thought was these must be GMO. But not according to the info online.

The Opal apple is a European hybrid, cross between a Golden Delicious and a Topaz.

The Kiku apple is a spontaneous, naturally-occurring variation of the Fuji apple.

The Envy apple is a cross between the Braeburn and the Royal Gala developed in New Zealand. It's about twice as expensive as the other two. Larger too.

All three are delicious, really delicious. I'm really fussy about apples. I don't normally buy apples this time of year. Fall is the best time.

Is this just old news to the rest of you here?

Apples go brown when cut because of the free radicals in the air. If these applies don't go brown, they may be GMO?

I have deep suspicions that these 3 apples are GMO. I don't think we're being told the truth about just how much GMO produce is out there already.

Old-fashioned non-GMO apples that I grew up with would brown rapidly. With each of these apples I cut them in half, bagged the other half and put it in the frig overnight. No browning. That's not normal.

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 05:46 AM
link   

You're right. When I was growing up, my grandmother used to use a powdered substance (citric acid maybe?) called Fruit Fresh or something like that. The problem is that it does change the flavor of the fruit somewhat. Plus the anti-browning effect (of the powder) only lasts for so many hours, not even half a day.

Fresh lemon or lime juice does sound better. Just have to remember to have them around when you have fruit that browns.

After dunking the peaches in hot water, then dunking them in cold (or iced if you have enough ice) water (the skins would just slip off then), she would prepare a simple syrup with plenty of fresh lemon juice & lemon slices (you want the flavor of the lemon oil from the peel). The fresh lemon syrup prevented the peach slices from browning.

You can do the same trick with avocados - take them out of the skin and put lemon juice all over them before freezing them. They keep a fresh color for future guacamole or whatever.

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 06:29 PM
link   
I read in a book on healing foods, that the apples that turn brown fast have more nutrients in them. The book is at my office and I will try to remember to copy the actual quote down and post it tomorrow.

Nothing wrong with brown apples, "beauty is in the eye of the beholder".

Namaste,
YogaGinns

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 12:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Philippines

You can do the same trick with avocados - take them out of the skin and put lemon juice all over them before freezing them. They keep a fresh color for future guacamole or whatever.

Thank you for the tip. I never thought to freeze them, but I will definitely try this --- just in case I have too many avocados. Ripe avocados never last long in my presence.

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 12:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: YogaGinns
I read in a book on healing foods, that the apples that turn brown fast have more nutrients in them. The book is at my office and I will try to remember to copy the actual quote down and post it tomorrow.

Nothing wrong with brown apples, "beauty is in the eye of the beholder".

Namaste,
YogaGinns

Probably true. I don't have a problem believing that (apples that turn brown fast have more nutrients in them) . At least with brown apples you know they're probably natural.

posted on Apr, 19 2015 @ 04:56 PM
link   
OK, I remembered to look into that book I mentioned:

Doctor's Book of Food Remedies by Selene Yeager
"Look for varieties that brown easily to reap the most health benefits."

Namaste,
YogaGinns

posted on Apr, 19 2015 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Was the fruit dipped in "natureseal"....it keeps the fruit looking good for some 21 days.....

www.forbes.com...

Pavlath’s key discovery was that certain calcium salts protect cut apple flesh from color, texture or taste changes. Combining these salts with vitamin C, the researchers produced a carefully calibrated formulation that would serve as a rinse for fresh-cut apples. Once dipped or sprayed, the apple slices have a 21-day shelf-life without browning or losing their crispness.

www.natureseal.com...

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 05:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Was the fruit dipped in "natureseal"....it keeps the fruit looking good for some 21 days.....

www.forbes.com...

Pavlath’s key discovery was that certain calcium salts protect cut apple flesh from color, texture or taste changes. Combining these salts with vitamin C, the researchers produced a carefully calibrated formulation that would serve as a rinse for fresh-cut apples. Once dipped or sprayed, the apple slices have a 21-day shelf-life without browning or losing their crispness.

www.natureseal.com...

Thanks for the expanded info, but no, these cut apples were NOT dipped in anything after they were cut.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join