It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Apples That Do Not Brown When Cut

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 05:42 AM
link   
I just tried 3 apples that I had never heard of before. None of them brown when cut open.

I picked up the "Opal" apple at a Trader Joe's; the "Kiku" and "Envy" apples at a regular supermarket.

My first thought was these must be GMO. But not according to the info online.

The Opal apple is a European hybrid, cross between a Golden Delicious and a Topaz.

The Kiku apple is a spontaneous, naturally-occurring variation of the Fuji apple.

The Envy apple is a cross between the Braeburn and the Royal Gala developed in New Zealand. It's about twice as expensive as the other two. Larger too.

All three are delicious, really delicious. I'm really fussy about apples. I don't normally buy apples this time of year. Fall is the best time.

Is this just old news to the rest of you here?

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 05:45 AM
link   
a reply to: QuailSeed

My 2nd dave fruit apples.
I have attempted all of those but didn't know they didn't brown.
Have you ever had an Asian pear? Like a cross between a apple and a pear..lovely.

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 05:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74

My 2nd dave fruit apples.
I have attempted all of those but didn't know they didn't brown.
Have you ever had an Asian pear? Like a cross between a apple and a pear..lovely.

Dave Fruit apples? I've never heard of that.

I agree about the Asian pear -- very crisp & juicy. Love Love. Kind of expensive here though.

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 05:56 AM
link   
Never had problem with apples turning brown after cutting .. got fuji apple tree that planted in garden this year looking forward to when it start bearing ..

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 06:00 AM
link   

There is a recent GMO apple that is non browning.
I'll pass on that.
Arctic Apples

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 06:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Expat888
Never had problem with apples turning brown after cutting .. got fuji apple tree that planted in garden this year looking forward to when it start bearing ..

Wow, that is weird. Browning apples are a real problem if you're using apple slices for a fruit tray or just want to cut an apple in half and save the rest in the frig. Get's gross looking fast.

How long do you have to wait before the tree bears fruit?

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 06:11 AM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

I don't think those have much of a market not because they are GMOs but because not many people care.

Restaurants will like them for being able to prep dishes ahead of time and I read they may be ideal for clear juices. Still that's not that big of a market.

It is a Canadian firm that designed them.

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 06:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

I'll pass on that.
Arctic Apples

Thanks for that info. I just looked at the link. Looks beautiful. I wonder what happens if you eat all of this GMO stuff, long term?

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 06:14 AM
link   

Lol I meant fave...soz on me phone lol.

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 06:26 AM
link   

4-5 years till its big enough to bear fruit .. which is ok as have starfruit.. dragonfruit .. banana's .. mango and coconut trees so no shortage of fruit .. just wanted bit more variety in garden ..

Fruit always go fast as pick and eat .. doesnt get time to turn ..
edit on 11/4/15 by Expat888 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 06:33 AM
link   

4-5 years till its big enough to bear fruit .. which is ok as have starfruit.. dragonfruit .. banana's .. mango and coconut trees so no shortage of fruit .. just wanted bit more variety in garden ..

Fruit always go fast as pick and eat .. doesnt get time to turn ..

Okay, wild guess here ... you live somewhere tropical.

I love every fruit you mentioned, except the dragonfruit. I've only had it once and it was beautiful to look at, but just tasteless, no fragrance either. Tell me I got a bad one. So what's a good one taste like?

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 06:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: QuailSeed

I'll pass on that.
Arctic Apples

Thanks for that info. I just looked at the link. Looks beautiful. I wonder what happens if you eat all of this GMO stuff, long term?

Long term effects remain to be seen.
Like I said, I'll pass. At least until long term studies on humans are completed.

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 06:37 AM
link   

I'll pass on that.
Arctic Apples

Long term effects remain to be seen.
Like I said, I'll pass. At least until long term studies on humans are completed.

Can't blame you. GMO makes me uncomfortable too.

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 06:43 AM
link   

Yep.. out in boonies of s.e asia .. on dragonfruit mine always a beautiful red/purple colour and a sweet/sour flavour quite juicy .. flavour can vary on them depending upon where and how theyre grown .. best ones come from vietnam .. got the plant from vietnamese friend after helping deliver twins when his wife went into labour .. out here things grow fast and pretty much year round ..

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 06:49 AM
link   

Yep.. out in boonies of s.e asia .. on dragonfruit mine always a beautiful red/purple colour and a sweet/sour flavour quite juicy .. flavour can vary on them depending upon where and how theyre grown .. best ones come from vietnam .. got the plant from vietnamese friend after helping deliver twins when his wife went into labour .. out here things grow fast and pretty much year round ..

Thank you for that info. Fat chance I'll ever taste a good dragonfruit.

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 08:55 AM
link   
They can splice genes from one apple to another, picking and choosing which genes they want to splice, and it is not considered GMO and nothing has to be reported other than a name. You can splice a gene out of a watermellon to an apple and it is not GMO. These foods still aren't natural though. Our body creates enzymes to break things down based on triggers in the food we eat. Did these triggers get changed?

Asparaganes turn to acrylamides during the maliard reaction. People associate this to browning things. Now just sitting meat will darken, so will lettuce, the reaction deals with oxidation to some extent. Asparagines are calming foods. It is the same as eating caramels if they oxidize. Why would someone want to take the calming properties out of foods.

We are changing food chemistry way too fast, and the people doing this are not testing everything. They ignore the lost properties of the foods. In order to digest foods, we need to oxidize it. Slowing oxidation may not be that good of an idea.

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 09:41 AM
link   
It depends on apple how fast they brown. Some take really long time, some almost instantly. It's linked in acidity of apple, the more acidic, the slower it turns brown. Some apples are so acidic that you don't see browning at all.

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Try putting lemon juice on the sliced apples.
I think there are a couple of other options too, but have never used them!

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Wow, that is weird. Browning apples are a real problem if you're using apple slices for a fruit tray or just want to cut an apple in half and save the rest in the frig. Get's gross looking fast.

How long do you have to wait before the tree bears fruit?

No it's not, just put the cut apples in a bath of Vitamin C for a few seconds and viola no browing. Simple.

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Just like whole foods was caught lying about GMOs I think
these apples are GMO as well.

GMO apples

Whole foods knowingly selling monsanto corn

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join