It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

List of countries by external debt

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 03:59 AM
link   
I was browsing Wikipedia and came across a page that lists estimates of global foreign/external debt in order of highest country to the lowest. The figures are rather staggering to say the least.

List of countries by external debt

I must admit that my knowledge is lacking when it comes to this topic. I have tried some research, but haven't had much luck yet. Perhaps I am looking in the wrong areas?

Can somebody who is knowledgeable in economics (or somebody with the relevant knowledge) please explain the following:
a. How is external debt defined in layman's terms?
b. How is external debt calculated?
c. To whom is the debt owed?

Edit: For example, the list states the United States is approximately $17,997,889,181,468.20 in external debt. To whom exactly is this debt owed?

edit on 11/4/2015 by Dark Ghost because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 05:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Dark Ghost

1 External debt is what is borrowed from foreign lenders like banks, countries and financial institutions ( financial market ) what financial market does is like a black tube taking money from where there is surplus ( matter of opinion ) and put in where there is potential economic growth.

2 Excessive Deficit Procedure (EDP) is calculated every fiscal years. State Treasury statistics on the debt which includes a range of exposures, the largest of which are private-public partnership purchases, spin off agreements to government debt management and risks related to coin issuance.

3 Other countries, Financial institutions ( markets ) and banks.

To last question.. Money is taken where there is "surplus" ( China ) available, International banks and money BUSINESS ( which financial markets really are )

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 06:24 AM
link   
Here's an article that goes into detail on who owns the US debt.

useconomy.about.com...

Most governments don't raise enough revenue through taxes, fees, and fines to pay for all of their expenditures. So they raise more money by borrowing money (and paying interest on what they borrow). Government backed debt is usually a great investment because governments can always use taxes as a revenue stream (as collateral or to pay off the debt). So investment firms and large institutional investors buy government debt when they want to have a safe place to park their money. For example, there's a company called Pimco that owns something like $2 TRILLION worth of government debt, though that is debt from states, local govts, federal govts, foreign countries, provinces, etc.

To give a short example: If you have $1,000,000 in cash & you loan it to a government at 2% interest, you'll make $20,000 profit, paid over 12 months. But if you're a large institutional investor and you invest $1 billion at 2%, you're getting $20 million profit over 12 months. And that's guaranteed money (unless the govt defaults). Russia's official interest rates right now are about 14%, so that same $1 billion would earn you $140 million profit over a 12 month period of time!

That's why powerful countries are almost always in debt. Because it's easy money for the major investors.

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 06:52 AM
link   
It's all pretend numbers on computer screens.
This world economy is as faith based as any of the major religions.

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 07:06 AM
link   
Those countries with 1000% debt to gdp will never pay it back.

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 07:31 AM
link   
I'm moving to Liechtenstein

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 07:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Dark Ghost

It is mostly "owed" to the potential beneficiaries of social security as that fund has been pilfered by the federal government since its inception.

By the official numbers, each American citizen "owes" about $60,000. This number is a dramatic underestimate though because it does not factor in the staggering unfunded liabilities.

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 08:16 AM
link   
So Russia owes $3,000 per citizen. While the UK owes $160,000 per citizen. Our media keeps telling us how the Russian government and its economy is screwed. I don't get it?

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 08:25 AM
link   
a reply to: ufoorbhunter

Russia is almost completely dependent upon oil and gas revenue.

Because they are likely to default they have a tough time soliciting investment capital or selling bonds.

Capital flight from the country is dramatic and embezzlement has disrupted attempts to effect positive change within their financial system.

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 08:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hoosierdaddy71

According to the rule of percentages, I don't think anybody with over 100% debt to GDP can pay it back.

Interesting to see Luxembourg is the worst off in that list (after India) but I am focusing on US/Europe/Russia.

Russia is doing very very well compared to UK, Germany, France, then the US.

edit on 11-4-2015 by bullcat because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 08:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: greencmp
a reply to: ufoorbhunter

Russia is almost completely dependent upon oil and gas revenue.

Because they are likely to default they have a tough time soliciting investment capital or selling bonds.

Capital flight from the country is dramatic and embezzlement has disrupted attempts to effect positive change within their financial system.

What is America dependant on? Arms sales? Wars? Destabilising regions to claim fracking rights?

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 08:33 AM
link   
a reply to: bullcat

The numbers aren't purdy, that's for sure.
But if you make a $100k a year and have $100 in debt, you can dig out I think. Lots of people have a mortgage like that and can pay it off. Granted that is very simplified..but could be a lot worse..

edit on 11-4-2015 by Hoosierdaddy71 because: Spelling

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 08:35 AM
link   

The numbers aren't purdy, that's for sure.
But if you make a $100k a year and have $100 in debt, you can dig out I think. Lots of people have a mortgage like that and can pay it off. Granted that is very simplified..but could be a lot worse..

I like how they talk about DEBT per PERSON CAPITA.

I didn't get into debt, the people I voted for did not get into debt, how am I liable for that debt?

Perhaps if that was hit home with a DEBT BILL sent to EVERY person living in that country, they would get off their backsides and do something about it.

In fact that is what should be done, a yearly debt bill per capita sent to every person living there. I can assure you that hell would break lose and governments would fall.

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Oh it is much worse than that.

Our actual debt exceeds $200,000,000,000,000.

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 08:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: greencmp

Oh it is much worse than that.

Our actual debt exceeds $200,000,000,000,000.

So get rid of the FED and print your own money.

Let private failing companies FAIL.

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Yes, if we must use a fiat currency (that isn't a forgone conclusion), it should be issued by the treasury as required by our constitution before amendment.

All insolvent private and public associations should go bankrupt and be allowed to go into receivership so the resources which they hold can be appropriately allocated by the free market.
edit on 11-4-2015 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 08:42 AM
link   
a reply to: greencmp The figures in the OP are for external debt so not anything to do with social security. The US figure is its gross debt to the rest of the world. The fact that it is gross is important as does not take into account how much is owed back in return.

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 08:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: ScepticScot
a reply to: greencmp The figures in the OP are for external debt so not anything to do with social security. The US figure is its gross debt to the rest of the world. The fact that it is gross is important as does not take into account how much is owed back in return.

Ok have you got "normalised" figures?

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 08:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: bullcat

According to the rule of percentages, I don't think anybody with over 100% debt to GDP can pay it back.

Interesting to see Luxembourg is the worst off in that list (after India) but I am focusing on US/Europe/Russia.

Russia is doing very very well compared to UK, Germany, France, then the US.

GDP is an annual figure, debt a fixed one. Country's can owe and pay back well over their GDP

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 08:46 AM
link   
But we owe £160,000 per person if I understand it correctly? It sounds a lot of money?

a reply to: greencmp

top topics

<<   2 >>

join