It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Friday Fun

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 08:08 PM
link   
So on a recent visit to my parents, I discovered that the patches and pictures that I thought long since gone were in fact safely stored away at their place.

So in honor of getting to do the Happy Dance over getting them back, I thought I'd share some of them, and their related aircraft with you.

Project Speckled Trout was a C-135 used to transport the Chief of Staff of the Air Force. In addition to being a beautiful airplane, the Air Force allowed multiple companies to test different systems on it. They tested an auto landing, auto takeoff, and auto throttle system, a tracking system, and many more. Just about all the advanced systems we take for granted on aircraft today were tested on Speckled Trout.

At the time that I got this patch, the Triple Nickel was flying the F-15. We had two of their jets get stuck for several weeks. One day they had to do an engine run, and they let me sit in the back seat (it was a D model).

They currently fly F-16s out of Aviano Air Base in Italy.

Argus was an NC-135. It was used to monitor missile tests, and just about everything else that was up there. As the patch says, if you did it they saw it.

Gunsmoke was a fighter competition held by the Air Force. Units came from all over the world, and were scored on everything from proper loading of munitions, to number of sorties launched, to live fire exercises and how many target drones they shot down.

At the end of the competition scores were tallied and one unit was declared the winner, and got to call themselves the best fighter unit in the Air Force until the next competition.

AST was the Airborne Surveillance Testbed. It was operated by the Army in conjunction with the Missile Defense Agency. It used the first 767 built as its platform. It had a large fairing on top of the forward fuselage that had two large infrared cameras in it. To offset the aerodynamics of the fairing it had two F-1-16 style fins under the tail for stability.

When the MDA was running a test of the GBI system AST would fly to the missile range, and orbit. They would film the launch of the interceptors, and the interaction with the incoming test missile.

Those are the ones that I currently have loaded on my phone. I'll add some more as I have time, hopefully this weekend.

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 08:28 PM
link   
For reference:

Speckled Trout (C-135 61-2669):

AST:

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Nothing like memories

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 09:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Pretty damn impressive Zaphod !!

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 10:11 PM
link   
a reply to: smirkley

Oh there will be quite a few more. I just had those on my phone already. I'm so happy I got them back its not funny.

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 03:21 AM
link   
I'm sorry if this comes off as rude, but roughly how old are you Zaphod? You seem to have done everything under the sun, I'm just wondering how long it's taken you to get to that position

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 04:35 AM
link   
AST looks very interesting.

And I love the argus patch!

Looking forward to more.

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 07:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Florasaurus

I'm in my 40s. I had an incredibly lucky upbringing that put me in the position to do things most people never dream of doing.

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 10:06 PM
link   
So here's the next batch.

460th Tactical Reconnaissance Group. They flew the RF-4C out of Taegu AB Korea until 1993. They were disbanded, then reactivated as the 460th Space Wing, which is what they currently are. They currently operate missile warning, missile defense, and communications, including the SBIRS.

A friend of ours worked as an engineer and gave me this one.

Part of the 509th Bomb Wing, flying the B-2. The 509th is the only unit authorized to have a mushroom cloud as their unit symbol.

36th Fighter Squadron, the Flying Fiends. They operate F-16s out of Korea.

455th Flying Training Squadron. They flew the T-37 until 1993, when they were deactivated. They were reactivated in 2000 flying the T-6 out of NAS Pensacola.

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Cool patches....I collect ww2 US patches. I love anything flight related. I have many bullion US patches some made in theater.

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 10:20 PM
link   
a reply to: SubTruth

I like the WWII patches too, but kind of hard to get them from a unit.

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 10:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

I like the WWII patches too, but kind of hard to get them from a unit.

Ya like them also....Cool. You should do a thread about them sometime I would post some pics. Now I only go after rare or scarce. Vietnam era can still be had for cheap but WW2 has become a money maker.

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 10:38 PM
link   

It's too difficult for me to buy them right now. I'm hoping eventuality to have a wall. I'd have to separate them. All these came from the unit they belong to for helping them out, and from working with them.

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Right on Zaph. Happy for ya. I know how important those patches were to you.

Thank god for parental foresight.

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 11:34 PM
link   
OK, last batch.

JWID 2002

edit on 4/26/2015 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

edit on 4/26/2015 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2015 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Great collection! Former 135 crew chief here (95 -99). The Speckled Trout patch caught my eye. My first boss worked Cobra Ball "back in the day" and landed a number of those very patches after working with contractor ST crew on associated mods, handing one off to me because I geeked out about it when he mentioned it. Now I need to dig it up...

Btw,I dig your posts. Motivated me to join ATS after years of lurking. Press on, sir.

edit on 532015 by Erasmusdevice because: Edit years

posted on May, 3 2015 @ 01:09 PM
link   
I have a lot of my patches mounted and framed along with my flight jacket on my
Love Me wall. I'll have a friend take some pix and post them here for your enjoyment.
maybe give you some ideas for your wall when you make it up. I'm much older than you
but I only flew for the navy for eight years. Got 26 years with Lockheed before retiring
so much of my stuff is from those adventures.

posted on May, 3 2015 @ 02:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Erasmusdevice

I always used to love seeing 12669 on the inbound list to see what new toys they had on board.

Cobra Ball and her sisters were always fun too. Big Crow was interesting. They used to have all kinds of interesting toys to play against the Aegis ships with.

posted on May, 3 2015 @ 02:43 PM
link   
a reply to: justdust

That would be great, thanks. I've been thinking about the best way to show them off and have been stumped.

posted on May, 3 2015 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Ahh, good ol 37 Squadron I see. I flew with them years ago a number of times as an Air force Cadet. Back then they had E model Herc's, before moving on to the J's. Still based out of Richmond AFB which is about 30 mins up the road from my place. I have fond memories of that base back in the 80's. I well remember flying in the back of an E one night with a new pilot who was performing his first night time touch and go's. I think we all thought he was going to drive the gear oleo's up through the floor first time, man what a hard thump!

Sadly I have no idea where my patches are, probably like you buried in my parents basement.

LEE.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join