It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Take YOUR Kid Out of School Without Permission? Court Will Take Your Furniture...or Jail Term.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 10:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: greencmp

I am frankly astonished that you appear to be solely concerned with the revenue stream of the schools and the salaries of the teachers and administrators rather than the education and civil treatment of our children.

More interpretation from your brain.

I only stated what is.

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 10:24 PM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

Schools here do not get funded based on the daily #s that showed up for the day..what a ridiculous nightmare of daily accounting..what the govt sends a check every 2 weeks?? Talk about micromanaging.
Here schools get a yearly budget based on the #s enrolled for the year.

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 10:31 PM
link   
a reply to: vonclod

I believe it's based on average daily attendance. So, they look at total number of enrolled, and the average daily attendance, then base funding on those numbers. Thus, the more students that don't show up, the lower the average daily attendance - the lower the funding.

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Ok I understand , here I don't think it would matter if student x or student y missed a few days in terms of the school budget.

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 10:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee
Here we go again.

Schools work on a very tight budget. They are paid only if student is in attendance.

You take your kid out of school - - you are stealing from the government.

You don't want your kid in a government school - - then pay for a private one.

The fact that one person thinks this way just goes to show how hypnotized society is.

It's NOT the school's KID! If parents want to take THEIR KID on a vacay, so be it. Back in the 80's and 90's my parents took me and my sister out of school for two, sometimes three weeks at a time to go to Florida to stay with our grandparents. The school knew ahead of time and we did our work while out of town.

It's absurd that the school then involved the authorities who are now trying to take these people's household belongings to settle the "debt" and that just adds to the total ridiculousness of the situation.

Good grief!

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 10:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: lovebeck

Here we go again.

Schools work on a very tight budget. They are paid only if student is in attendance.

You take your kid out of school - - you are stealing from the government.

You don't want your kid in a government school - - then pay for a private one.

The fact that one person thinks this way just goes to show how hypnotized society is.

It's NOT the school's KID! If parents want to take THEIR KID on a vacay, so be it. Back in the 80's and 90's my parents took me and my sister out of school for two, sometimes three weeks at a time to go to Florida to stay with our grandparents. The school knew ahead of time and we did our work while out of town.

It's absurd that the school then involved the authorities who are now trying to take these people's household belongings to settle the "debt" and that just adds to the total ridiculousness of the situation.

Good grief!

So, you choose to live in Fantasy Land instead of be knowledgeable of how life really is.

Good grief!

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 10:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod

Ok I understand , here I don't think it would matter if student x or student y missed a few days in terms of the school budget.

It is not one student. (USA)

More than 1,600 people have been jailed in Berks County alone — two-thirds of them women — over truancy fines since 2000, the Reading Eagle reported Wednesday. Reading, the county seat, is about 60 miles northwest of Philadelphia.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 10:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

Your arguments and analogies make little sense. The school is not a for profit business. You say that the school does not get paid when the student is not in attendance and is hence losing money. The flip side of that coin is the student is not in attendance and hence the school is not losing resources. Never mind the fact that the repercussions for this family are completely off the wall and in no way justified. Do you honestly believe that keeping a child out of school for a few days is robbing the government?!?! That goes on my list of absurd statements. Residents of a county pay taxes to fund those schools. Even residents that don't have children to utilize those schools. By your logic the childless tax payer is robbed by the government. Unreal. Don't like it? Discover common sense.

The parents decided to spend quality time with their child. An activity that is beneficial to the family unit and promotes growth. But hey! Let's disallow a family bonding experience because some self-absorbed bureaucrats think they know better and lost a couple hundred pounds.

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 10:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: My_Reality
By your logic the childless tax payer is robbed by the government. Unreal. Don't like it? Discover common sense.

How do you people come up with this stuff?

edit on 10-4-2015 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Is this a prank?

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 11:10 PM
link   
a reply to: My_Reality

I am not sure that this isn't some sort of trick.

Either that or I am having a dream about the ideal public sector union debate opponent.
edit on 10-4-2015 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 11:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: greencmp

Is this a prank?

What? This?

Someone has a very vivid imagination IMO

originally posted by: My_Reality
By your logic the childless tax payer is robbed by the government. Unreal. Don't like it? Discover common sense.

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 11:29 PM
link   

I Understand there is a truancy problem..I can only surmise that Canadian schools have less problems with truancy?
Here it is whatever dollar figure per student based on total enrolment for the year..I think property tax ties into it via how many kids are in each household and how its divided among schools..daily attendance is not a factor at this time.
I was pretty bad in high school attendance wise due to family crap..I got kicked out in grade 9 and that was it.
I think the story in the OP is insane.
edit on 10-4-2015 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 11:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod

I Understand there is a truancy problem..I can only surmise that Canadian schools have less problems with truancy?
Here it is whatever dollar figure per student based on total enrolment for the year..I think property tax ties into it via how many kids are in each household and how its divided among schools..daily attendance is not a factor at this time.
I was pretty bad in high school attendance wise due to family crap..I got kicked out in grade 9 and that was it.
I think the story in the OP is insane.

Thanks for a reasonable post to me.

I don't know how it all works - - the accounting details. I just know "they" don't mess around with attendance - - and loss of funding for an absent student is the reason.

Not only absent, but being late. Attendance is taken in the morning. If student is not there, they are not counted. Even if they show up 10 minutes after the count.

We, as parents (grandparent) are informed that child must be on time. And doctor's appointments are preferred in the afternoon, so student can be counted (kid you not).

There's little difference between truant and late.

We got some nasty letters and calls because my granddaughter was late too many times. We really had no control over her father bringing her to school on Monday, after spending the weekend with him. Numbers on paper don't care what the parent situation is.

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 12:16 AM
link   

But, if your child is enrolled in public school - - - taking them out is stealing from the government.

Wow. You also said "No Student = No Money".

So Let's review. They should be paid for a student that is not in attendance? Which means they provided zero service and/or resources to the student. I would call that stealing, no?

So it's the parent that is the thief? Not the school that is complaining about not getting paid for absolutely zero service and/or resources?

Gotcha...not twisted at all.

Also, did the parent's receive the money for that pupil's funding or something? Or did it just vanish into thin air? I'm pretty sure the Government never lost one dime of that money (though it may have been used for something else).

No "theft" or "stealing" going on here at all.
edit on 4/11/2015 by ArcticLights because: as this applies to Public Schools

edit on 4/11/2015 by ArcticLights because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 12:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: ArcticLights

But, if your child is enrolled in public school - - - taking them out is stealing from the government.

Wow. You also said "No Student = No Money".

So Let's review. They should be paid for a student that is not in attendance? Which means they provided zero service and/or resources to the student. I would call that stealing, no?

So it's the parent that is the thief? Not the school that is complaining about not getting paid for absolutely zero service and/or resources?

Gotcha...not twisted at all.

Registered student at specific school included in budget.

Tax money allotted to each student pays for services/resources for each student.

Student needs to be in attendance at school to use the services/resources tax paid for.

Services/resources for student already paid for. Funds pulled in student absence.

Who reimburses school for services/resources already paid for? Parents.

Parents/student stealing government funding.

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 01:43 AM
link   

they paid taxes that are used for schools. so the gov is not willing to give the schools the taxes until the child attends? i'd call that inappropriate use of the taxes, since they were originally collected for the schools in the first place. weird government.

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 01:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: undo

they paid taxes that are used for schools. so the gov is not willing to give the schools the taxes until the child attends? i'd call that inappropriate use of the taxes, since they were originally collected for the schools in the first place. weird government.

Your child "rents" a spot at designated school.

Taxes pay the "rent". Student doesn't use it. Funds are retracted.

Who reimburses the rent?

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 02:16 AM
link   
Fact A child by law must attend schooling from 4 till 17.
Fact A parent will sign a contract with the school and will know about un authorised attendances and the consequences.
Fact Pupils who don't attend school are flagged up as Concerns and the school has a duty of care to know exactly why that pupil is not attending.
Fact Pupils have been murdered by their parents and schools have been critised by not raising concerns of absences of pupils.
Fact These parents would have been informed at all times about the fine and chose to ignore it.
Fact Many immigrant children are moved around the country and taken out of the country and are in poor health and recieve little education.
Fact If a child misses any length of schooling that child becomes behind with the curiculum and will find it hard to catch up.
Fact If all children were alowed to take holidays if and when their parents pleases then when do you think a whole class would be attending at any one time.
Fact How do teachers follow these pupils acheivements and educational requirements if they are randomly taken out of school for holidays during the school terms.

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 02:43 AM
link   

it shouldn't have to be repaid. it was paid for the school, it should go to the school lol
sounds like gov holding school funds, hostage.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join