It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Monkey Species Identified From Its Unusual Penis And Scrotum

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 06:05 PM
link   

It looks like we may have a new monkey species under our scientific radar, thanks to its stand out genitals. The newly discovered animal, the white-cheeked macaque (Macaca leucogenys), was recently identified as a previously unknown species due its distinctive penis and scrotal coloration that distinguish it from other macaques residing in the same area.

...For example, the distinctive species had a dark, hairy scrotum, unlike the other known species that possess white scrotums. Furthermore, the shape of the animal’s glans (the head of the penis) was also round, whilst the other macaques have arrow-shaped, or sagittate, glans’. Alongside their unique genitals, the white-cheeked macaque also had prominent white side- and chin-whiskers and a bushy neck, which further distinguished it from the other documented species. These findings have been published in the American Journal of Primatology and reported by New Scientist.

Sorry. Link won't work - please cut and paste this one:
www.iflscience.com/plants-and-animals/previously-unknown-monkey-species-identified-its-unusual-penis-and-scrotum

Okay. It's been a while, and my observations have been somewhat limited. But. I hardly think the described differences constitute a completely different species. By those terms, I would estimate approximately 2.5 million species of human.

What say you ATS? Been to any locker rooms lately? Anything to report?

And the vid:

edit on 10/4/15 by soficrow because: (no reason given)

attempt to fix link
edit on Fri Apr 10 2015 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

edit on Fri Apr 10 2015 by DontTreadOnMe because: cannot get link to work

(post by Metallicus removed for a manners violation)
(post by DEANORULES24 removed for a manners violation)
(post by soficrow removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)
(post by soficrow removed for a manners violation)
(post by BatheInTheFountain removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)
(post by haven123 removed for a manners violation)
(post by coldkidc removed for a manners violation)
(post by soficrow removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Since I can not read anything in this thread I can now assume, monkey genitalia makes people go crazy. Its always cool when we find new species of any animal.

edit on 10-4-2015 by karmicecstasy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Ok, obviously the immature young men's crowd has jumped all over this thread, their worthless, childish, responses have been deleted.

Let's try again, this is the Fragile Science Forum, not the "I'm 13 and can't wait to crack jokes about Monkey bits" Forum...

sigh...

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 07:17 PM
link   
I'm seriously laughing my ass off at all the post removals.

Considering that the accepted rule for differentiating species is their ability to mate with one another... if these particular monkeys can't mate with the other monkeys, then yes they'll be considered a new species. At least that's how it works from an evolutionary standpoint.

If they can mate with the others, it'll be interesting to hear the ideas behind their abnormal peni (plural for penis).
edit on 4/10/2015 by Answer because: (no reason given)

link   
Really? 8 removed posts?
Now I feel like I missed soo much...

aside from that, what can you really say about monkeys dangly bits ?

link   
a reply to: soficrow

This is hilarious, not the monkey genitalia but the apparently tremendously humorous comments that I have sadly missed.

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 07:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Springer

Cool, but I'm a 62 year-old woman. ...'Course it could be incipient dementia.

; )

Yea Springer!

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Now having read the article. It says that the new species was classified solely through photographs. So its not really official until some DNA is obtained.

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 07:28 PM
link   
a reply to: greencmp

Don't worry. They mostly weren't that funny. Except my posts of course. ; )

But the vid! We need the vid!

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Your link comes back page not found. Maybe Iflscience had the same problem we did with comments.

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Copy and paste this to get to the story.

www.iflscience.com/plants-and-animals/previously-unknown-monkey-species-identified-its-unusual-penis-and-scrotum

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 07:34 PM
link   

It seems that the link that you have provided, while linking to the IFL Science website, is not linking to the content you intended.

I would like to read more on this, because I find the idea of morphogenic divergence within such a small subset of species, absolutely fascinating, and reminds me of the importance of the Darwin/Wallace idea of natural selection and origin of species.

It also poses some interesting questions as to how these adaptations might be beneficial to a macaque, when compared with their more commonly endowed cousins.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join