It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Any sailboat fans out there? What are your observations? - Ocean-ready, entry-level vessels.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 04:06 AM
link   
Hello ats'ers,

Does anybody here have any sailboat experience?

The world of sailboating is pretty intimidating. Does anybody have any experience with them?
I am looking for a decent sized boat that can handle 4 people or two couples. In other words
-2 staterooms, at least 1 bathroom,
-A galley
-comfortable head room when walking through. No bending over in galley.
-A decent inboard diesel power for low winds and navigation, but o/b ok, as well as a small diesel generator and
ac for the cabin. Solar add on for deep cycle maint.
-A decent galley, head and shower.
-1-2 person operation if needed.
-2-3k-ish nautical mile range

functional but not yacht sized.

I want an offshore setup able to travel from Florida, through the bvi's and maybe as far as the northern coast of South America.

I have minimal experience in sail boats. I have been in a 30' sailboat through the great lakes, when younger, I am going to take classes on sailing before I make any investment. I have over 20 yrs experience in fresh and salt with powered boats 35' and under, basic nav and chart skills, as well as building motors and the ability to restore anything mechanical or cosmetic, so I can do the improvements, to save the initial costs.

What are the big differences in keel designs? Is there a big advantage or disadvantage to diff keel designs?

Does anyone have any advise here? Is there a good boat out there at the lower end (20k or under) initial investment. Something that can meet these requirements, but still be a safe vessel in open waters? Maintain comfortable quarters for a month or so for 4

Any experienced sailboaters out there? Your two cents is much appreciated.

Does cost compete with something like a powered cruiser such as a 510 sea ray sedan bridge with fuel?

edit on 4 by Mandroid7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 04:24 AM
link   
The Catalina 34 has been my target boat so far, but I am a junkie for a sea ray sedan bridge, upper 40-50' range, I have seen some good deals on them, out of fresh water, Georgia, 23k with 800 hrs, twin 300hp, around 1000 ft-lbs trq cats, '97 with cat diesel gen.

Sailboats seem to be more expensive, for the sqft-age that you receive. Does this difference offset the cost of fuel? Do you come out the same?

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 04:59 AM
link   
Catamaran rather than monohull better stability easier to handle .. havent sailed in years so cant say much on current models .. also you can get a setup to convert saltwater to drinkable water highly recommend it ..
edit on 10/4/15 by Expat888 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 05:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Expat888

Now you have made my decisions more complicated........'

Are cats that much more cut? EnerG to distance?

Is the resist of the cats
more than what you see from normal deep v ?

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 05:13 AM
link   
Can the built up value beat the cost + fuel of a small motor yacht

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 05:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Mandroid7
Apologies .. didnt mean to add to your confusion ..
Catamaran has shallower draught than monohull .. also more stable .. under good conditions it even faster than monohull .. other advantages more room for living quarters ( had 4 staterooms , salon.. galley .. head with shower ) had taught my kids how to sail on it as well rarely used motor though had one ( occasionally would use entering or leaving marina rest of time purely used sail ) its matter of taste / preference really .. personally I prefer the catamarans over monohulls ..

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 07:37 AM
link   
I have a Sunfish I'm willing to sell. Good place to start.

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Go with the Catalina. Best sailboat ever. We had a 22', 1976 hull....
my dad was an avid sailor (and taught me, but I am by no means ocean-savvy).

The 34' is a great idea - Dad was planning a solo from Australia to Japan some years ago, and he was looking at the 30+ feet models.

He swore by Catalinas. Have a great time!! Here's a site where you can see pricing (some 30+ go for in the $20,000s). www.sailboatlistings.com...

Just remember - a boat is a hole in the water that you pour money into.

edit on 4/10/2015 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 02:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Expat888

Thanks I will look into a cat. Their is alot of shallow water out there in the Bahamas and such, so this is another thing that makes me nervous. They def look more stable, with the wide stance.

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 02:11 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

Thanks for the link..there are a ton of cheap deals on there.

I agree with your quote, but need to get an island hopper. I'm sure I will probably wanna sell it after a couple years😉

A boaters happiest 2 days are when he buys and then when he sells his boat-some dude

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 07:55 PM
link   

A boaters happiest 2 days are when he buys and then when he sells his boat-some dude

Yeah,

kinda like that. I hated to let her go.....but when my neighbor guy asked, and said he'd refurbish her I thought about it for a long while. Eventually I said, "Okay, but here's the deal:" and I got to go sailing, well.....
you know, you pick your battles.
I knew the job of rejuvenation was beyond me.

Sail on, sailor!!!!!

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 09:41 PM
link   

I think the Catalina 34 would be a little on the small side for 4 people.

Catamarans can be much faster than the traditional mono-hull because they are often not restricted by hull speed. Most seasoned sailors feel more comfortable in the really rough stuff with a mono-hull because of their ability to right after being capsized.

new topics

top topics

join