It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the WWE run by neo-cons?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2004 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by bordnlazy
I don't mean to put myself up for "can O whoopass!!" but they are entertainerS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They work in the entertainment industry , and they entertain, and they work off a scipt!!!!but they are aslo athletes. It's like people who dance ballet, they put on a show ,so therefore they are entertainers. Don't get me wrong , these guys are in exceptional shape, but what they do would be more of art than sport. There is no disrespect meant when you call them entertainers at all, Whats wrong with being an entertainer?

They can be both entertainers and athletes. Football is entertainment, and it has athletes.

posted on Dec, 23 2004 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpittinCobra

Originally posted by elevatedone
these guys are entertainers, not athletes.

and another thing... I could work out 3 - 5 times a week myself, but that wouldn't make me an athlete....

Can I get a clear answer? Do you think they are athletes or not?

YOU CAN"T HANDLE A CLEAR ANSWER !!

I think that they are athletic, I think they put a tremendous amout of time into training and preparing, so yeah, why not.

posted on Dec, 23 2004 @ 12:21 PM
link   
wrestlers are athletes first with a knack for entertaining.

as for the original post, I don't think Vince is a neo-con. He is just a very shrewd businessman who likes to test boundaries and be controversial.
wrestling just tends to be pro-american because of the venues and fans, do you remember all the anti Canada stuff, anti French, anti Arab, anti Japanese, anti Mexicans, anti taxes, anti religious, anti black, anti Midgets, you name it, WWE has touched it.

I think the continuing re-invention and ever evolving dramas and willingness to push the envelope is what keeps WWE going and fans coming back.

posted on Dec, 23 2004 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Everything is scripted... these guys are entertainers, not athletes.

They are most definately atheletes, as are all professional stunt people. It is
far more difficult to do these type stunts without getting hurt than it appears.
a millisecond in missed timing, a misque,a slip or misstep , and an injury happens. sometimes it is minor others it can be fatal. My only bitch with
the current version of pro wresteling is that with their increased income they
have gotten worse in their fight secquences. the last time i went to a live match (94 i think) we were seated 32 rows back in the auditorium and the wrestelers were so slow and sloppy i could see every move and what they were doing( perhaps not doing would be better said). IMO the old wrestelers
were much better, and I have watched alot of them, from Bobo Brazil and Haystack calhoun at the Olympic in LA with Dick Lane to Jesse Ventura In the
Lebanon Or HS Gym when he was with NWWA, Dutch Savage, Andre the Giant
in Portland NWWA, Snuka, Steamboat, Ultimate Warrior (LV) , when I lived in Las Vegas I knew several of the current wrestelers, they came into the shop where i worked and hung out with the owner at a couple of the topless bars,
Papa Shongo, Tatanka, UW, great people.

posted on Dec, 23 2004 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by stalkingwolf

They are most definately atheletes, as are all professional stunt people. It is
far more difficult to do these type stunts without getting hurt than it appears.
a millisecond in missed timing, a misque,a slip or misstep , and an injury happens.

stalkingwolf nailed it. *nods*

I've only got about 4 years in this business.
In that time, I've had 6 concussions, broken my nose 3 times, broken several ribs (I stopped counting how many), broken my tailbone, broken my hand, broken my thumb, torn a groin muscle, hyperextended both elbows and both knees, sprained my neck twice, shattered 2 teeth, bruised a kidney, dislocated both shoulders multiple times (most recently during a ladder match on 12/11), damaged the ligaments in my hip to the point of arthritis, and had more cuts, bumps & bruises than I can possibly count.

Now don't mind elevatedone's confusion; he's a Steelers' fan, so we have to cut him a little slack there.
*ducks & runs*

There seems to be a little misunderstanding between "athlete" and "athletic competitor."
Try and contain your shock here, but we're not actually competing with each other to win a match. We know who's going to win before we hear the first strains of our entrance music! (I know, whodathunkit?)
However, when we're out there entertaining people, we're running, jumping, punching, kicking, throwing, lifting, tumbling.... we're combining aspects of everything from football to gymnastics to martial arts to boxing to weightlifting to dance.
In a typical match, I'll lift and throw someone *at least* the same size as me and up to twice as big (our biggest guy is 260lbs, I'm about 175-180lbs). I can take that big guy and lift him onto my shoulders from a dead stand. I'll run full-speed and stop on a dime (when I hit the ropes or the turnbuckles). I use judo holds and throws, I'll do flips in midair, throw any of a number of kicks and punches, and in the end I'll either do a flip off of a turnbuckle or hit a flying football tackle (aka "The Spear") to win.

An athlete is "A person possessing the natural or acquired traits, such as strength, agility, and endurance, that are necessary for physical exercise or sports".
I think the above does fall under the category of "athletic," even if we aren't competing against one another.

Now, next up I'd like to see a football player dislocate his shoulder in the middle of a game, reduce it by himself in between plays, and finish the rest of the show without missing a beat.

posted on Dec, 23 2004 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Applause to Banshee!

But Terri Hatcher is no athlete. Give me a physique to look at when I read a post like that...

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Banshee

Now don't mind elevatedone's confusion; he's a Steelers' fan, so we have to cut him a little slack there.
*ducks & runs*

and for the record... not a fair weather Steeler fan either... I've cheered them on through the rough years as well as the good ones !

ahhh what a season !!

Banshee..... who are you favorite WWE wrestlers ?

I like... The Rock, Triple H, Trish Stratus ( of course )... The Big Show...

Can't stand.... Eddie Guerro, and most of the newcomers over the past 2-3 years...

:bash::bash::bash:

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 12:38 PM
link   
if you want to see what wrestelers do up close go to a western town/park
where the do "gunfights" live. you can see the same type "stunt work" up
close. that is where i learned my trade 30 years ago. trust me you havent lived
until you have done a roof fall with cracked ribs. I love pain it reminds me im still alive, and damn was i alive that day.

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 10:16 AM
link   
JUST A LITTLE *BUMPY* HERE...

I wanted Banshee to see my question....

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 10:41 AM
link   
www.llamanade.net...
lol-j; )

[edit on 28-12-2004 by Nine Inch Nails]

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by elevatedone

Banshee..... who are you favorite WWE wrestlers ?

About in order:
Rhyno, Flair, Victoria, Benoit, Orton, Benjamin, Haas

But I generally prefer the indy talent.

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Hmmm...old school hero...

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Banshee

But I generally prefer the indy talent.

Indianapolis?

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpittinCobra
Indianapolis?

Independent.... the workers who aren't on TV or internationally famous. Like me.

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 07:09 AM
link   
thanks for answering Ban....

I voted for you yesterday... and then clicked to your home page, read your favorites there...

keep up the good work

top topics

<< 1   >>

join