It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the WWE run by neo-cons?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 02:35 PM
link   
I used to be a pro-wrestling fan, and I just don't watch it anymore. One of the reasons is their pro-war stance.

Note how the "babyfaces" (or good guys) are pro-war, and the "heels" are against it, such as the French tag-team La Resistance, and these Arab guys.

My husband still watches it and I happened to catch Mick Foley (used to be one of my favorites way back when) spouting off pro-war rhetoric. The Arab guys I mentioned brought up some very good points about how Arabs are treated, and Foley just told them that so-and-so fought and died/got maimed/whatever so they could spout of their nonsense--completely missing the point.

Seems to me that lately the WWE is a neo-con platform. Oh, I don't mind wrestlers going to entertain the troops or anything, but other than that, they seem to be generally pro-war.

Thoughts?

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 02:37 PM
link   
The producers study their audience well and appeal to the LCD of their sensibilities. It's just marketing.

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Not all of them are pro-war... what they say on tv does not necessarily reflect what they actually feel.

They follow a script. It's kinda like a soap opera.

Banshee would be a good person to discuss this topic.

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 03:00 PM
link   
When it comes crashing down, and it hurts inside,
ya' gotta take a stand, it don't help to hide,
Well, you hurt my friends, and you hurt my pride,
I gotta be a man; I can't let it slide,
I am a real American, Fight for the rights of every man,
I am a real American, fight for what's right, fight for your life!

I feel strong about right and wrong,
And I don't take trouble for very long,
I got something deep inside of me, and courage is the thing that keeps us free,

Well you hurt my friends, and you hurt my pride,

The new NeoCon theme song?

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Ah, for the days of Nikolai Volkoff and the Iron Sheik and "you are intelligent man Gene Mean".

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 03:16 PM
link   
It's entertainment, Period !!!

I work with someone who used to work in the WWF offices in Conn.

Everything is scripted... these guys are entertainers, not athletes.

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by syntaxer
When it comes crashing down, and it hurts inside,
ya' gotta take a stand, it don't help to hide,
Well, you hurt my friends, and you hurt my pride,

I feel strong about right and wrong,
And I don't take trouble for very long,
I got something deep inside of me, and courage is the thing that keeps us free,

Well you hurt my friends, and you hurt my pride,

The new NeoCon theme song?

Actually I like that song.

Oh, I know that pro-wrestling is put on (it's said you have to be a good actor too), but it seems to be nothing but a neo-con platform.

Odd

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 03:47 PM
link   
So don't watch it!

Honestly, what do you hope to accomplish? They have as much right to spout their rhetoric as you do yours, and I mine.

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by elevatedone
... these guys are entertainers, not athletes.

Oh, tell me you did not just go there.

Anyways.
Pro wrestling is, and always has been, a version of the "real world" with the volume cranked up to 18. With WWE, Vince has always had his finger on the pulse of current events in America and worldwide, and he takes those events and caracturizes them.
Back in the 80s, a worker by the name of the Iron Shiek was the #1 heel on (then-)WWF television. Given the events at the time in Iran, and the general public outrage at the hostage situation, Shiek filled the role in this alternate universe as the ultimate current events badguy.
Enter Sgt Slaughter and their long and brutal feud that revolved around the events of the world. It is now, was then, and always has been the telling of the age-old "good vs. evil" story in pro wrestling. Comic books come to life, if you will.
Remember, volume cranked up to 18 here.
While Joe-Average mark wasn't necessarily about violence against Iranians in his personal life, the fans wanted to cheer for the Sarge and boo the hell outta the Shiek -- and that's exactly what they did.

During Desert Storm, the Sarge turned heel and became an Iraqi sympathizer. Again, the battle of good vs. evil was waged in the ring, and the fans chose their sides.
They booed the Sarge and cheered Hulk Hogan.

Now, the only thing that really matters in pro wrestling is the fans.
Yeah, sounds trite maybe, but it's true.
The fans decide where, ultimately, the stories told go.
Some people on the outside will claim the complete opposite -- that the people writing the stories tell the fans who to cheer for and who to boo. While one reaction can be encouraged over another, it can't be controlled. If the people watching WWE want to cheer La Resistance, they will do so (and they have.)
Sure, you can help along those negative reactions by having the pair attack established fan favorites, by cheating, or by insulting the fans -- but when push comes to shove, the people paying to see the show tell the writers who they like and who they hate.

Instead of wondering if the WWE is run by "neocons,"
why not consider that the general public either encourages or discourages these stories you find so offensive?
Pro wrestling is an odd hybrid of athletic exhibition, theater, and business ... but business comes first.
(there's a reason, when talking amongst ourselves, we call it "the business" instead of "wrestling," you know.)
If no one's buying what we're selling, then there's no show to put on. Workers don't get paid, equipment doesn't get purchased or repaired, arenas can't be rented, et cetera.
If the general public doesn't agree with two French heels, then they don't buy tickets, ergo there is no show.

And before anyone says it....
yeah, the general public.
Wrestling fans aren't tabacky-chewin', slow witted, sister-kissin', backwoods hicks.
Nuh-uh.
They're doctors, lawyers, laborers, teachers, students, housewives, artists... they're a true cross-section of America. Some are Republican, some are Democrat, some are neither. Some are rich and some are poor. Some are geniuses, some are of average intelligence, and some couldn't graduate high school.
Same goes for the wrestlers, too, you know. There are a whole lot of college degrees in this business, and honestly more Liberals than Conservatives.

I will admit something, though.
I'm highly amused when people take things about "the business" more seriously than those of us who get our bones broken doing it.

-B.

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 07:57 AM
link   
sorry Banshee..... that was meant sarcastic....

I would never say that to you... :shk::shk::shk:

for fear of

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Odd
So don't watch it!

Honestly, what do you hope to accomplish? They have as much right to spout their rhetoric as you do yours, and I mine.

First off, I don't watch it anymore--secondly, I was just trying to get an interesting conversation going. 'Cause you know how we're bombarded by the media with disinformation, and it's bleeding into other areas, like entertainment.

That's what I wanted to discuss. I do believe the adage, "don't like it don't watch it."

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Amethyst
Oh, I don't mind wrestlers going to entertain the troops or anything, but other than that, they seem to be generally pro-war.

Thoughts?

First, you have to fess up that it's a guilty pleasure of yours, where you can sit and watch well built men in bikinis cavort about, in front of your husband & get away with the overt oogling!!

Next, it is an appeal to the jingoism underlying simple minds that have been scared into poor choices by the government. ( AND by simple, it covers white collar and/or educated folks who simply choose to not think through irrational fear )

Last, there has never been anyone cooler than Jimmy "Superfly" Snuka! Back in the day, I was that kid emulating Superfly in those sibling bedroom brawls!

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 09:17 AM
link   

WOW, I would like to hear what they say about this. The are ATHLETES, they work out 3 to 5 times a week.

Dont say you where not being serious, you get out of to much with this. Dont say something if you dont mean it, or get called on it. Its a cowards way out.

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bout Time

Originally posted by Amethyst
Oh, I don't mind wrestlers going to entertain the troops or anything, but other than that, they seem to be generally pro-war.

Thoughts?

First, you have to fess up that it's a guilty pleasure of yours, where you can sit and watch well built men in bikinis cavort about, in front of your husband & get away with the overt oogling!!

Next, it is an appeal to the jingoism underlying simple minds that have been scared into poor choices by the government. ( AND by simple, it covers white collar and/or educated folks who simply choose to not think through irrational fear )

Last, there has never been anyone cooler than Jimmy "Superfly" Snuka! Back in the day, I was that kid emulating Superfly in those sibling bedroom brawls!

Let's put it this way--I do not turn it on of my own accord. I barely even watch it when my husband watches what he taped.

I have better things to do with my mind.

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpittinCobra

WOW, I would like to hear what they say about this. The are ATHLETES, they work out 3 to 5 times a week.

Dont say you where not being serious, you get out of to much with this. Dont say something if you dont mean it, or get called on it. Its a cowards way out.

Don't quote me and then tell me what I was thinking or meant to say...

IT WAS MEANT with sarcasm... I was typing at work and didn't go back and edit it to say so...

I happen to be a fan of Pro Wrestling and admire the amount of training and preparing that they do for the matches.

and for the record... the word is were, not where ..... where is a place...

I guess it was a typo on your part too....

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpittinCobra

and another thing... I could work out 3 - 5 times a week myself, but that wouldn't make me an athlete....

go pick a fight somewhere else spittyboy !!

posted on Dec, 23 2004 @ 12:22 AM
link   
I don't mean to put myself up for "can O whoopass!!" but they are entertainerS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They work in the entertainment industry , and they entertain, and they work off a scipt!!!!but they are aslo athletes. It's like people who dance ballet, they put on a show ,so therefore they are entertainers. Don't get me wrong , these guys are in exceptional shape, but what they do would be more of art than sport. There is no disrespect meant when you call them entertainers at all, Whats wrong with being an entertainer?

posted on Dec, 23 2004 @ 03:10 AM
link   

go pick a fight somewhere else spittyboy !!

Yeah come to me and i'll give you a Stone Cold Stunner!

[edit on 23-12-2004 by drunk]

posted on Dec, 23 2004 @ 03:12 AM
link   
Yup that's why it's called World Wrestling Entertainment

posted on Dec, 23 2004 @ 07:45 AM
link   

these guys are entertainers, not athletes.

and another thing... I could work out 3 - 5 times a week myself, but that wouldn't make me an athlete....

Can I get a clear answer? Do you think they are athletes or not?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join