It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you have Neanderthal DNA?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 12:38 AM
link   
a reply to: caladonea

No...I do not have neanderthal DNA.

Are you black (or more specifically, African)? If not, then you most likely DO have Neanderthal DNA.

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 12:46 AM
link   
a reply to: woogleuk

Not only that, sub Saharan, with no admixture with anyone north of that big pile of sand. Otherwise yeah they do have Neanderthal DNA. Of course perhaps they are not a fan of thinking about it?

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 12:49 AM
link   
a reply to: texasyeti

Ehhhh I'd not hold that much faith in those tests. You are not going to find out "everything" as well they are not really indepth tests (for that price you are lucky to get what you get). Its like when they try to tell you "where your ancestors are from" with these tests. The best they can tell you is the "most likely" places they came from. We can not tell nationality, and ethnicity with genetic tests. I'd be more worried if the test came back "please submit another sample nothing showed up" myself
IT would be a smoking gun for "you are an alien"

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 12:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Noinden

I think it's great, I'm 5' 6", dark brown hair, mostly green eyes, but can look blue / grey depending on the light, with broad shoulders and have been told I am unusually strong for my size / build.

I have often wondered if that has something to do with having Neanderthal DNA....I might get tested one day to see how much I have.
edit on 10/4/15 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 01:01 AM
link   
a reply to: woogleuk

I have those eyes too, damn its so embarassing when someone wears the same .... .uh I mean they are called Hazel. The point here however is it is hard to tell what in us is presenting like a Neanderthals. For example despite what some people say its not red hair, that is a different mutation, on different genes to what modern humans have (if memory serves we have two mutations to cause red hair, both different than Neandethals). We also quite likely share genes with denisovians.

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 03:52 AM
link   
I think it's also worth noting that what people consider to be Neanderthal behavior is down to how films and media have portrayed them to be as apposed to scientific discoveries around how they used to live and their attitudes and customs. they have often been portrayed as thuggish and violent when research has actually shown them to be much more gentler and less war like than the other pre sapiens that were around at the time, maybe that is in part responsible for their decline, when faced with much more aggressive foe they overwhelmed. it is also possible they were bred out by the destruction of the males, whilst the females were taken, used and interbred with resulting in a small proportion of their DNA being diluted over many hundreds of thousands of years.

I think Neanderthals have had some rather negative stereotypes associated with them. they were strong and had incredible pain thresholds from what I've read but they were far less aggressive and dominant than some of the other sub species. perhaps a higher proportion of Neanderthal DNA would have made the world a far less war like place.

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 04:25 AM
link   
G'day, do callouses on the knuckles qualify?

I mean, they are the most striking features I've encountered in a pub. Those and the qualities of some patrons.

Cheers, while slinking away,

Bally.

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 05:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct

You could be right although there's no good evidence that points to these facial types as being Neanderthal flashbacks from the gene pool. We'd be talking about a possible 1200 generations since that last Neanders walked with us in Europe (three generations per century multiplied by 400). Unless we had a pocket of in-breeders with a tiny genetic pool, we should expect the Neander genome to be as 'diluted' as it appears to be.

Still, I drove past a woman the other day and seriously wanted to turn the car around and take another look. She was a startler alright - bald head, very strong features, broad etc. If the model in this image had a sister, that was who I saw:

Like yourself, I'm drawn to looking at faces and, whilst we're naturally drawn to beauty, the faces with the most character or unusual features are the most memorable. The human face has so many versions and differences that a Neander might well be able to walk amongst us and be no more noticeable than the woman I saw or your suspect.

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 10:50 AM
link   
A whole 21 Neanderthal genes still hanging around in this body. Science doesn't seem to know their purpose.

Like some others I am short, very small bones, green eyes and according to the limited studies of ancestry and family tree DNA, 100% European back about 500 yes.

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 12:32 PM
link   

I thought that last picture was some kind of reconstruction of how a neanderthal would look today! omg he's real??

I don't think I have neanderthal "features"...

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Yes, i do...in fact, we all have such remnants of Neanderthal DNA ranging anywhere between 2% - 4% depending on race.

So yeah..we all have a little Neanderthal inside us..er...matron.

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Ok ever one will Hate me for this!
but I do think it is a possibility.
please think on it.

could down's syndrome be from
one of are long post ancestors?
Some part of the DNA keeps popping up?
Look at their faces, they look the same!

Sorry I DO not wish to insult them.

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 01:31 PM
link   
I recently had my genes tested for DNA, and they found that I was mostly neaderthal. I can wiggle both of my ears.

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 01:57 PM
link   
a reply to: buddha

NO

Downs syndrome comes from having too many chromosomes.

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 03:03 PM
link   

you are close to the truth, imo:

neanderthals are just old homosapiens just after and before the flood… the brow bone grows slowly throughout life: someone hundreds of years old would have larger brows…

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 03:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Verum1quaere

also, there was 50% more oxygen back then (according to air trapped in fossilized amber) and the earth was probably more electromagnetic… this would also effect things like brain size and bone size

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 03:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Verum1quaere

These posts are pretty light on facts. Your statement about "old aged preflood Homo sapiens is ludicrous. There are several ways of determining age from skeletal remains and there is absolutely no evidence of HNS living longer than humans do today. It's complete garbage. You can determine age of the deceased just from skeletal remains in the following ways-

1. Dental Eruption and Occlusion
2. Cortical Bone Histology
3. Cranial Suture Closures
4. Postcranial Epiphyseal Unions
5. Pubic Symphyseal Face Morphology
6. Age-Related Degenerative Conditions
7. Phase Changes in the Sternal Rib

As for your claim regarding oxygen levels, would you care to provide a citation for that? Oxygen levels such as you describe are higher than peak o2 levels, which was during the Carboniferous ~300 MYA which is long before anything resembling humanity had emerged. Neanderthal was only from approx. 300-30 KYA

To make statements of fact and support them with things such as

And the earth was PROBABLY more electromagnetic... This would affect things like brain size and bone size

Is so fundamentally flawed from a scientific POV that I don't know where to begin.
edit on 10-4-2015 by peter vlar because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Yes.

i can see how im mostly neanderthal. And proud?

IDK. I'm not so ashamed as to how my ancestors cease to exist. I know they're supposed to be smarter, but unfortunately less aggressive. I can see why.

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 06:45 PM
link   

I think we'd have to look at more than just certain facial characteristics, to get some idea, short of actual DNA testing. What other traits would be indicative of possible neanderthal DNA? Frame size, perhaps? Were they not heavier-boned than some others? Would hair or eye color be a factor? My frame falls just at the lower edge of "large", going by wrist measurement, and I have light, curly hair and green eyes. European traits, yes, but how much of that is from the Neanderthal? Since most Europeans are supposed to have some percentage of the DNA, I probably do, since my stock is all, as far as we know, European. The forehead is pretty rounded, though, and no prominent brow. As a side note, the doc told my parents that t he little holes at the ears were a throwback to prehistoric people, so who knows? Never could find any reference for why he said that. Always thought it was interesting, though. Looks-wise, I look pretty German. Genetics are from there, Scotland (a LOT), some Ireland, and back far enough, all over Europe.

Faces and origins are a fascinating topic; I agree. I tend to look at names myself, and like "collecting" names from various places. I also like trying to figure out what someone's heritage might be from their face, if there is a mix of features. There is so much we don't know about the ancient past.

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 06:51 PM
link   
a reply to: CX

Hey, now! Ron Perlman might not be classically handsome, but he's not "ugly", either. He's got interesting features, and he played one of the most romantic TV characters ever in Beauty and the Beast, as Vincent.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join