It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Baltimore Police used secret technology to track cellphones in thousands of cases

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 05:00 PM
link   

The Baltimore Police Department has used an invasive and controversial cellphone tracking device thousands of times in recent years while following instructions from the FBI to withhold information about it from prosecutors and judges, a detective revealed in court testimony Wednesday.

The testimony shows for the first time how frequently city police are using a cell site simulator, more commonly known as a "stingray," a technology that authorities have gone to great lengths to avoid disclosing.

The device mimics a cellphone tower to force phones within its range to connect. Police use it to track down stolen phones or find people.

Baltimore Police used secret technology to track cellphones in thousands of cases

There has got to be a way to curb the use of these likely illegal devices by law enforcement everywhere. Criminals are also using this technology. We need to have equipment and volunteers out finding these and pinning them on an open source mapping app. Much mischief can be done with this tech and it is being seriously abused nation wide and likely world wide for that matter.

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 05:22 PM
link   
a reply to: machineintelligence

They will be sadly disappointed in my cell phone activities. I rarely use it. I am on the phone all day at work so chatting is the last thing I want to do in my leisure time. My texting is equally boring and work related.

However....this power grab must stop! I don't recognize our country anymore. You cannot sneeze in public without the EPA fining you nowadays. Government skulking around, spying on us. ... just stop!

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Can you link me to any cases where criminals are using this. I'd be rather surprised if you could but all the same it sounds like it'd be a good read. As for them using it...well it was only a matter of time using the indicators of the situation years ago. I'm sure now a days they are working off the next gen platform.

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 06:02 PM
link   
a reply to: RickyD

www.wired.com...

If hackers were doing it in 2011 you can bet criminals are widely using it in 2015

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Tracking requires a warrant. Engaging in this behavior is a violation of the 4th amendment. Nothing like being tracked illegally and the info being allowed in court as being received Anonymously.

Any convicted because of this device should have their convictions or charges thrown out.

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 12:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra

Tracking requires a warrant. Engaging in this behavior is a violation of the 4th amendment. Nothing like being tracked illegally and the info being allowed in court as being received Anonymously.

Any convicted because of this device should have their convictions or charges thrown out.

Yup: www.washingtonpost.com... 4-aa05-1ce812b3fdd2_story.html

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Is there ANY US government department left that isn't corrupt and engaged in routinely breaking their own laws?

I mean...any at all?

You've got the CIA doing what they do, we all know they're as bent as they day is long, the police doing this illegal tracking and the FBI (whom i confess i wrongly thought were a 'proper' and 'above board' outfit) telling the police not to tell the courts about the illegality they're engaged in.

What a world.

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 01:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Ultralight

You don't have to be actually using your phone for the authorities to gather information about you from it. All that needs to be down is you have the battery in the phone. They can do the rest. Including turn the microphone on without your knowledge.

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Isn't that invasion of privacy among many other things under our constitution?, I encourage the entire population of cell phone users in that city to get together and sue the state for infringing in their rights.

But as usual people just seat and let the government erode everything in the name of national security.

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 06:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: MysterX

Is there ANY US government department left that isn't corrupt and engaged in routinely breaking their own laws?

I mean...any at all?

Better question - Is there any such thing as a government that isn't corrupt from day one? My thinking on this for a long time has simply been that government IS simply organized corruption. Governments are always set up with the stated goals of helping the citizens manage their lives and communities and so forth but if people were really capable of working together in that way with honesty and integrity, we wouldn't need a government in the first place. It's just one great big lie.

What government aims to do (or claims to aim for) is impossible.

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 06:29 PM
link   

I heard about these being used locally on the radio last year...forgot about it, thanks for sharing.

Who's got Stingrays (link to ACLU).

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 08:35 PM
link   
GOD= Gatherer Of Data , the eye in the sky is part of it, who does not know this yet, why do they have secrets? so you will not know of course, ignorance is bliss and anyone that thinks for a second even the small town police forces don't already have this, you are wrong, every surveillance technique you can think of is in effect without your knowledge... and someone mentioned warrants.... are you kidding me? the thing is if you have a phone and try and use an alibi and they track it elsewhere from where you said you were then there is going to be a problem.

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 03:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: RickyD

Can you link me to any cases where criminals are using this. I'd be rather surprised if you could but all the same it sounds like it'd be a good read. As for them using it...well it was only a matter of time using the indicators of the situation years ago. I'm sure now a days they are working off the next gen platform.

I haven't paid attention to it for awhile. I used to have one of the machines but got rid of it when I adopted a minimalist mindset. I could take it into a coffee shop and sit there for a few hours. It would spoof cell phone signals and give access to the phone. Never did much with it besides see how much was out there.

Check out some of the Defcon stuff from 2011 or so, it was pretty popular then.

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 03:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: marg6043

Isn't that invasion of privacy among many other things under our constitution?, I encourage the entire population of cell phone users in that city to get together and sue the state for infringing in their rights.

But as usual people just seat and let the government erode everything in the name of national security.

No. There is no right to privacy in the constitution. You can be secure in your documents and effects but the courts have ruled that only applies to physical products, not to anything electronic (this is the case with most electronic constitutional issues actually). Therefore there is no constitutional violation to remotely turn on your microphone and listen in.

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Sound like "The Wire" to me!
LoL

Truth is to someone or some agency that is persistent enough anonymity simply does not exist anymore.

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 03:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

Stingray goes way beyond cell tower functions... they can actually trace your phone to your house even if you aren't using it.

I know a couple of guys who train the agents on how to use it... its been around a few years.

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 12:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: RickinVa
a reply to: Aazadan

Stingray goes way beyond cell tower functions... they can actually trace your phone to your house even if you aren't using it.

I know a couple of guys who train the agents on how to use it... its been around a few years.

Ya, I know it goes beyond that. I was just commenting on the cell tower spoofers, those have been available for awhile. The things law enforcement has is a step up in the list of capabilities. I don't know everything they can do but i assume they can do nearly anything.

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 12:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

Sound like "The Wire" to me!
LoL

Truth is to someone or some agency that is persistent enough anonymity simply does not exist anymore.

That was the first thing that came to my mind too.

Fuzzy Dunlope!

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 11:01 AM
link   
If Stringer Bell were alive today, you could bet he would have ditched his cell long before Stingrays. He was an analog, OG mother effer.

posted on Apr, 15 2015 @ 02:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: TomLawless
If Stringer Bell were alive today, you could bet he would have ditched his cell long before Stingrays. He was an analog, OG mother effer.

Then it'd be up to that bad arse Omar to take him out, because lets face it, Jimmy McNulty doesn't have a chance.

new topics

top topics

join