It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Firefox online reset?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Got irritated by all this background updates interfering with me surfing the net. Ok time to scratch and block them and some serious cleaning. Boy oh boy now my old XP computer with Firefox 36 was running like a freshly formatted/redone computer. But I made a settings mistake in Firefox and couldn’t visit a Microsoft site. So I corrected the setting, still the same, restart the computer, and still the same. My next move was to use the online reset, it worked. But now all my pages take ages to open from the net while my normal computer is running like a Ferrari. Any tips, not really feeling like uninstall/reinstalling Firefox. Or maybe I must just do it and get it over with?

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Try TCPOptimizer at speedguide.net and set your Adapters to open up the settings in Windows probably reset to original. My net runs slow initially and on some updates and has to be reset. It will open it up.

TCP Optimizer
edit on 9/4/15 by spirit_horse because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 01:30 PM
link   
a reply to: ICycle2

Having reset firefox you will have cleared the cache. This means that you will have to load the whole website again on your first visit.

I would just wait, once the cache is built back up again on all your websites it should speed up.

Just in case, reload a saved site you haven't been back to yet and then close it once it is fully loaded.

Then revisit the same site to see if it loads more quickly.

Also make sure never remember history isn't ticked.

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Did you have any plugins for Firefox? i.e. FasterFox FastestFox or BetterFox? If so on a reset it removes all plugins (addons) .

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 01:33 PM
link   
BTW, I set mine to modify All Network Adapters, and 75Mbps (my isp is fast) and select the optimal button. You do have to reboot for the settings to take place as they are registry settings, but you create a backup file when you change settings, so you can go back to the previous settings.

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 01:44 PM
link   
a reply to: spirit_horse; Jonjonj; here4this

Thanx, will be back shortly. Some fiddling to do.

Fiddling done, I'm back in business. Thanx again. Great little TCP program
edit on 1C152015-04-09T14:32:25-05:00ThursdayAmerica/Chicago2 by ICycle2 because: Because I can

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 08:32 PM
link   
After a time, Firefox profiles get cluttered and slow down. One way to 'refresh' is to use the FEBE extension to backup everything and then use it to create a new, clean profile and restore only the stuff you use.

You can find more information on this FEBE support thread.

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Thing about Firefox. I do love it for all the wonderful add-ons and stuff but those updates are a drag. They're always changing stuff that didn't need to be changed and every update seems to break something.

I've also tried reverting to earlier versions and turning off the auto update. Oddly enough, this setting seems to have a mind of it's own. I've had it turn itself back on more than once. I know it did because I had to specifically turn it off in order to keep an older version so I could keep using some of the add-ons I couldn't do without. Next day, I wake up, turn on my PC and my add-ons are all incompatible again. I look at the version and see why. Sure enough. It updated itself.

top topics

join