It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why does U.S. Special Operations Command want a big secret hangar?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 07:38 PM
link   
a reply to: grey580

What size is it for $20m? Doesn't sound like much by comparison to the others'.

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 07:45 PM
link   
If I remember reading correctly (on AlphFoxtrot I think) the site of the LRS-B would be in Florida where some construction and expansion was happening. It would have to be for an aircraft or craft that was ready to be unveiled to the public but still needs a level of classification.

I`ve long suspected of "them" holding the really good stuff in underground hangars accessible via elevators similar to the ones on aircraft carriers. So I doubt it would be a giant chevron or a/the Phantasm.

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 07:47 PM
link   
a reply to: StratosFear

Florida is only if one company gets it. There are other things going on there as well.

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 08:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Adding on to that for everyone who still is confused about ADVENT.

All ADVENT really is is a high-bypass turbofan with a an extra bypass ring in the middle that can shunt its airflow into the main bypass flow OR into the gas generator/expansion turbines. This in essence gives it a variable bypass ratio, which is why it's such a big deal and has ramped those killer efficiency numbers. It can be a high-power low-bypass engine for takeoff, etc and a lower-power, high-bypass engine for cruising.

Think of it as a jet engine with a transmission, and that everything before it was the equivalent of old cars with direct drive setups.

Basically, fixed-cycle engines need to be relatively overpowered for takeoff, maneuvering, etc compared to what they need to do while cruising, which is fine for fighters but less than optimal for bombers and transport aircraft. ADVENT fixes that power/efficiency tradeoff, especially with low observable aircraft where you can't really bury a high-bypass turbofan in-wing without compromising RCS/aerodynamics.

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Why does U.S. Special Operations Command want a big secret hangar?

Sorry. I needed a place to park my star cruiser.

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 10:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Barnalby

So can it revert to a High Power one in combat also?

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 10:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Sammamishman

Oh, O.K.. Then it would still fit into a B-1?

I believe you said in an earlier post that there was sufficient room in a B-1 to upgrade to an F-135 engine.

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 10:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Forensick

You close off the extra bypass to get more power.

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 10:37 PM
link   
a reply to: nwtrucker

It's designed for the large aircraft fleets.

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 11:56 PM
link   
This may be off topic, but I was unable to make a thread for some reason. I saw what looked like a new passenger jet perhaps a variant 747 flying low lined up with a said air force base today (which I have never seen before) while working. I attend college here as well. F-16s, f-18s, the occasional f-35 as well as larger transport aircraft such as the c-130 Hercules make their regular routes over the city daily. Anyways, I noticed what looked like a new 747 variant approaching landing to said Air Force base at an incredibly low altitude for said approach. My main question is, does anyone know what this particular color scheme stands for? I realize different installations use different patters. Does anyone know what a blue belly, white top with a blue triangle on the tail stands for? I was thinking it may be a NASA craft, any ideas? I'm sure there is a simple answer. I've lived here my entire life and never seen that pattern before approach landing in said direction at said field. Normal passenger jets take a NE approach. NASA aircraft patterns are normally a blue stripe, or red, white and blue pin striping.

Thanks.
edit on 9-4-2015 by LogicBomb33 because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-4-2015 by LogicBomb33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 12:04 AM
link   
a reply to: LogicBomb33

The military leases planes to move cargo all the time. It's probably a lease to move something.

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 01:29 AM
link   

Echoing this, the B-1's flight envelope demands low-bypass turbofans rather than the ADVENT, and on top of that, it has reheat to make up for a lack of dry thrust at takeoff (The B-1B is actually a little underpowered, FYI).

ADVENT is for subsonic aircraft like the B-2 follow-on, transports, tankers, and loitering UAV's, where afterburners are totally unnecessary but extreme range/fuel efficiency without a giant fan (because of RCS issues trying to bury a 2 to 3-meter fan in in a flying wing/low RCS design) is paramount.

Ironically, given its relative small diameter vs its power/efficiency, ADVENT could be the best choice for the B-52 re-engine job. It should be easy to hang ADVENT's under the BUFF's outboard pylons and still have good runway clearance.

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 08:20 AM
link   

is the something new coming out in the open?

Any clues?

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 12:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: grey580
Is some new aircraft coming online that needs to be stored in a secure area?
Or is this hanger going to support existing aircraft from another location?

I have no doubt - this being ATS - that you all have heard of the DoD/Defense Labs Military base just outside of 29 Palms right? 100,000 cfivilian contractors working there from the likes of Boeing, Lockheed Martin and Orbital ATK to name a few of the major contractors.

They're getting pretty darn close to completing a very real military version of a ground based space exploration vessel. Saying it was reusable would be an understatement. This thing is designed to take off and land leveraging technology straight out of Star Trek from my understanding.

This project was started a very long time ago - heck I think it's been ongoing since 1989 - and is what inspired Richard Branson to dump gobs of money into Virgin Galactic and Spaceport One at Truth or Consequences, New Mexico - when he learned of what was going on.

In any case. With Area 51 being used strictly for underground research because of the plethora of satellites and foreign monitoring in general, there's a five mile runway that's been hidden in plain sight by technology similar to what was used with the 9/11 'attacks' just outside of 29 Palms.

And a perimeter with guards the likes of which you can't imagine.

To some degree this inspired Google's acquisition of Boston Dynamics

In any case. I am sure this news release is because the DoD is prepping foreign leaders and dignitaries for the inevitable tour which will ensue once the proverbial *sh*torm* hits the fan for 'how could they have been doing this for so long and we not know?'.

That's the predictability of 'intelligence' or 'IQ' at work for ya. Standardized measures of intelligence also makes for highly predictable methods and measures of psychological operation.

I mean. didn't ya'all get an inkling of suspicion when a rocket randomly blew up in the Mojave Desert?

Good PR, eh?
edit on 2015410.0 by universalbri because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 12:54 PM
link   
a reply to: universalbri

Love some links regarding this. Would be cool to look up. Sounds a little like Project Orion.

As far as SSTO orbit vehicles. Nope they don't exist. Nothing like that has ever been built. It's just too hard. You couldn't spend billions of dollars, exploiting the smartest minds in the fields needed to pull something like that off and possibly get it to work. Nooooooooo.

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 01:05 PM
link   
a reply to: universalbri

This reminds me of something he who shall not be named said some time ago before he left. *0

Will it float out the hanger?

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 01:06 PM
link   

'Why do they want a great big, secret hanger?'

Why...to store their great big, secret aircraft in of course!

I'll get my coat.

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 01:53 PM
link   

No. And no hints. I don't play around with SOCOM's toys. They have less of a sense of humor than the DIA.

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 01:55 PM
link   

no fun at all.

I guess it will come out eventually.

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 01:59 PM
link   

or not

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join