It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why does U.S. Special Operations Command want a big secret hangar?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Why does U.S. Special Operations Command want a big secret hangar?

Well this is very interesting.

Has anyone else heard about this?
Is some new aircraft coming online that needs to be stored in a secure area?
Or is this hanger going to support existing aircraft from another location?

U.S. Special Operations Command is asking for money to build a secret hangar at an undisclosed location somewhere in the United States. The shelter could house some of the command’s special planes or drones … or something else entirely.

Funds for the facility are in the Pentagon’s recent budget request, tucked inside a section reserved for construction projects involving U.S. Special Operations Command. The $20-million project also includes money for a paved taxiway and an "inspection and test shop."

The Air Force’s commando headquarters says it needs the site by 2018 in order to inspect and test … something. The budget entry says very little about the new facility’s actual purpose.

Though I'm assuming that it's testing something new.

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 12:24 PM
link   
a reply to: grey580

How secret would it be if you and everyone else has heard about it? Not very.

And if its true as they say...the gov(s) of the world are 50 or so years BEYOND anything the public can imagine or has been "seen" ie: orbs, ufos etc....then it not for anything to be tested.

It for something that's already been built. No doubt more than just 1 thing and type.....

That makes the most sense.

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 12:27 PM
link   
We see plugs here and there in movies of future tech however maybe they have already or currently building some sort of craft similar to the airship(s) that are portrayed in the movie(s) of the Marvel: Avengers that Shield uses.

It may seem far fetched however all types of media these days that the general populace are told are just fiction may have some truth to them.

We only know the tip of the tip of what really is going on.

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Well it's socom.
makes me wonder if they are testing a new transport?
or housing that stealth chopper in there?

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 12:41 PM
link   

I wonder if they are requesting this through SOCOM to be redirected to AFSOC considering both there locations in FL and Eglins huge test ranges!?

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 12:41 PM
link   

As a technology, the ADVENT engine is now maturing/mature, as it is the rumored powerplant of at least one of the LRS-B prototypes.

But that's not the only application that they were considering for the ADVENT engine, a powerful but efficient engine designed precisely with low-observables in mind...

Remember the SPEED AGILE concept for a stealth extreme-STOL transport and buddy tanker about halfway in size between a C-130 and a C-17? That was another proposed use for the ADVENT engines, and an application that would be right up SOCOM's alley, and I'd be very surprised if this new hangar wasn't for it, or something very close to it.

edit on 9-4-2015 by Barnalby because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 12:44 PM
link   
If they told you it would not be a secret...

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Well that's simple.

Cause they have big secret aircraft

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 12:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Barnalby

Not to mention a perfect upgrade for the Raptor-perhaps the B-1 as well-to counter the less than ideal energy recovery issues and the comparatively short legs of the F-22?

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Yes.

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 01:12 PM
link   
a reply to: nwtrucker

Advent won't do much for a fighter platform.

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Obama's AF1 bug-out location for when they hit the red button

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 01:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Maybe it's both! A stealthy transport-chopper! I mean, wouldn't that come in handy for spec ops guys? Get em' in/out under the nose of the bad guys?

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 05:11 PM
link   
I heard a tale about a hanger on a naval air base back in the 70's. The entire hanger was off limits to everyone on the base including the Commanding officer. Occasionally while manning the control tower on moonless nights the radar would be shut down remotely , the lights on the runway would be turned off and something was heard taking off. Sounded like a jet engine. Later that night the runway lights would go off and it would land. He could hear the gates to the secure hanger opening and closing. Then the runway lights would come back on. Nothing was seen.
Well that's according to the rumor. True? I don't know but the one who saw it occur was very specific about it only flying during the dark of the moon. Anyone else out there hear anything similar?

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 05:21 PM
link   

hopefully a new stealthy tanker thats what i want to see. or if i had to settle the LRS-B

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Really? I was under the impression it had a 10% higher thrust and 25% better range/economy than the F-119?

That isn't bad numbers, at all.

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 06:02 PM
link   

It does but it takes up more realestate in the airframe, ie, it's fatter than a traditional fighter engine.

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Being a Pome (property of mother England) I don't know about US so com but aren't helicopters and reapers more tactical assets (ie. wouldn't really need a huge hangar in US as would be deployed to the fight)?

And would SOCOM usually say what it's hangars are for publicly in any case? Even normal (ha) activities, it's just not in the public need to know?

But thanks for bringing it up OP, can't wait to see next gen stuff, I love aircraft!!

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 06:09 PM
link   
My guess would be a stealth transport for the entire socom task force if it's a large aircraft. Socom is independent from much of the rest of the military. They would need something that could take all their gear, commandos, support staff all at once to a forward theater. Maybe make it stealthy enough that nobody figures out Socom has entered into the fray until locals notice a strange aircraft parked at some foreign airfield.

If it's small then maybe a stealthy troop insertion aircraft.

If it's big. It could also be a command aircraft to coordinate all of the socom assets in an area since they again don't like to have to go through the normal chain of command and prefer to remain as independent as possible.

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 07:29 PM
link   

As Sam said, it's bigger, and because of the extra bypass it doesn't react as fast on the throttle as the 119 and other fighter specific engines.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join