It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rising Levels of Toxic Gas Found in Homes Near Fracking Sites

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Rising Levels of Toxic Gas Found in Homes Near Fracking Sites

This might not be that big a deal, unless you live near a fracking site.

Levels of radon, a cancer-causing, radioactive gas, have been rising measurably in Pennsylvania since the controversial practice of fracking started there, researchers reported Thursday.

"We evaluated associations of radon concentrations with geology, water source, building characteristics, season, weather, community socioeconomic status, community type and unconventional natural gas development measures based on drilled and producing wells," they wrote in their study, published in the journal Environmental Health Perspectives.

"The geologic rock layer on which the building sat was strongly associated with radon concentration," they added. That's been known — certain types of rock are more likely to contain the radioactive elements that break down into radon gas.

But they also noticed a trend over time. Depending on where in the homes the radon was measured, radon levels started inching up in either 2004 or 2006.

And the trend was linked with just how much unconventional drilling was going on. This includes horizontal mines and hydraulic fracturing or fracking.

The authors note that Radon can escape via two means, as gas and contaminated water.

The study is published here:
Predictors of Indoor Radon Concentrations in Pennsylvania, 1989–2013
Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 10:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Blackmarketeer

Probably has nothing to do with the absolutely gigantic coal mines all through PA....No, let's blame fracking! Although that may play a small role, the larger issue is coal mines, they are absolutely everywhere in PA and that is the main reason for radon gas getting through to the surface! We have radon tests anytime you buy a home in PA, especially where I live because of the sheer volume of coal mines and we have no fracking sites nearby my immediate area!

LET'S BLAME FRACKING FOR EVERYTHING!!! Good idea....Don't worry about actual research and reasoning...Let's just blame fracking!

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 10:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Chrisfishenstein

The study noted that the rise in Radon began at the same time as fracking increased. Coal mining had already been present in the state for decades and would not have been the cause for the sudden rise in Radon in 2004.

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 11:15 AM
link   
There are three or more radons that can be present. One is harmful, one is of no concern unless it is in very high levels, and one may actually be good for us. This is what I read anyway.

Radon is everywhere in our environment to some extent. The testers measure all radons and do not usually distinguish which one is present. I am not afraid of the radon in our water, I know it is there, but we have not had any health problems that could be considered associated with radon poisoning. Just stick a piece of charcoal near a running tap and the ions go towards and attach to the charcoal. Then you can test for them with a radiation meter to see if there is anything there. Knowing how to do this took a lot of searching on the net for special research.

Now, is the radon the harmful kind or the neutral kind or beneficial kind. I'm guessing it may be the bad stuff, but I have not seen any true evidence to show it is harmful. The beneficial kind is found around running water and is found around streams. The test results are the same as the bad radon but it is no where close to bad.

I would guess that if this was radon that was not harmful the companies would have it tested to prove it is no threat. So no testing actually points to not good radon.

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 11:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Blackmarketeer

The study noted that the rise in Radon began at the same time as fracking increased. Coal mining had already been present in the state for decades and would not have been the cause for the sudden rise in Radon in 2004.

I understand what this "study" is saying and you explaining it....How can they prove an increase? It has been all over PA for a lot longer than I have been alive I can tell you that! Radon is all over PA, fracking may cause some but I can tell you now that our ever expanding coal mines are the leading cause of disturbing rocks that release this into the ground...If you were in PA and spoke to people, they would tell you the same! In the areas of high amounts of radon, to the extent of needing tests done before moving into a home and monitors to keep it in check, a lot of these areas don't have fracking sites nearby...But there sure are a lot of coal mines underneath us!!

Go to IUP college campus in Indiana, PA...You can't move in around the area without a radon test because of the rising levels in radon....There isn't a fracking site anywhere near this college campus/residential area....So I can say that this story may be a little correct, fracking probably aids in more radon coming to the surface, but it is not the main cause of rising levels in PA...Our coal mines are!

Allegheny Co.,
Armstrong Co.,
Butler Co.,
Cambria Co.,
Clearfield Co.,
Fayette Co.,
Greene Co.,
Indiana Co.,
Jefferson Co.,
Somerset Co.,
Washington Co.,
Westmoreland Co.,
Pennsylvania, U.S.A.
Index to the Coal Mines and Coal Companies which mined the Bituminous Coal seams of Southwestern Pennsylvania.

patheoldminer.rootsweb.ancestry.com...

www.coalcampusa.com...

Pennsylvania's bituminous coal fields lie at the northern end of the Appalachian coal fields, which extend from the Commonwealth to Alabama. Bituminous coal underlies more than 14,000 square miles and parts of thirty-three counties in western Pennsylvania.

This is just WESTERN PA...ONLY!! Over 14 thousand square miles of coal mines underneath just a portion of PA....This is the main culprit in radon being released in PA...

explorepahistory.com...
edit on 4/9/2015 by Chrisfishenstein because: Coal mine information

edit on 4/9/2015 by Chrisfishenstein because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Coal has been around......The gases are rising now. Do you understand how fracking works. It will displace gasses and water.

The fracking industry had better make money now because eventually the blow back is going to be epic on this one. Lawsuits are going be filed daily.

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 12:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: SubTruth

Coal has been around......The gases are rising now. Do you understand how fracking works. It will displace gasses and water.

The fracking industry had better make money now because eventually the blow back is going to be epic on this one. Lawsuits are going be filed daily.

Ummm..

Hydraulic fracturing began as an experiment in 1947, and the first commercially successful application followed in 1950

en.wikipedia.org...

“It is true that 65 years ago this week [18th March-2014], Halliburton conducted the first commercially successful application of “Fracking"

Being that fracking has also "been around"....How would you like to prove that somehow your new technology called fracking as you speak about is the culprit?

Just because people spout nonsense about fracking, you sheeple follow right along without even knowing any history, operations, or anything having to do with the process....You just believe what is spouted off by someone who thinks they know and the truth is, they don't but you follow!

Keep on following those sheeple, they will lead you to greener pastures....Or not....Good luck either way believing the BS

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 12:46 PM
link   
I think the tree-hugging, prosperity killing, unemployed trust fund kids already cried wolf on this one. Didn't work the first time.

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 12:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Blackmarketeer

One would assume a higher level of these gases whether from fracking, traditional wells or near refineries of any type.

Targeting fracking alone seems disingenuous.

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 12:58 PM
link   
OMG! Op is right. Just look at this definition of "hydraulic": - denoting, relating to, or operated by a liquid moving in a confined space under pressure. My God! This stuff is going to move right up into our bedrooms because it is liquid being moved by pressure. Run for the hills!

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 01:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Longshots
OMG! Op is right. Just look at this definition of "hydraulic": - denoting, relating to, or operated by a liquid moving in a confined space under pressure. My God! This stuff is going to move right up into our bedrooms because it is liquid being moved by pressure. Run for the hills!

EXACTLY!!!

But....But....But.....People say fracking is soooooo bad!!! I have to believe them!! Wait...What is fracking again??? I don't know, but I believe because people said so....People that don't know anything about anything....But it's bad!! My faucet is on fire....FRACKING!!! Wait, I don't have a fracking site within 500 miles...OH WELL...FRACKING!!! People said it was bad...

/sarcasm and BS meter and stupid a$$ people....

new topics

top topics

join