It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Calls For End To LGBT Conversion Therapy

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 10:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Seamrog

And what do the regressive Christian theocrats want to get between, eh?

There is no scientific proof of any kind, standing or legitimacy that sexual orientation can be changed by any means.

Certainly not by religious mumbo-jumbo.

If I had a dollar for every "ex-gay" that had come on to me, we'd all go out to lunch.

Give me a break. And what the heck is a "homosexualist"?

Do you mean, perhaps, a gay American citizen with rights and privileges at least approaching, finally, what most Americans have enjoyed for decades?

I know that burns your toast; get over it.

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 10:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: greencmp

originally posted by: Gryphon66

originally posted by: beezzer

originally posted by: WilsonWilson
a reply to: beezzer

I agree that the government shouldnt interfer with adults wanting this therapy, but children should not forced into something because of their parents beliefs.

I guess local police cannot stop crimes?

Childcare is obviously a federal issue. Indeed, it would seem that everything is the responsibility of the national government even though it is actually impossible for any government to oversee.

No one has said anything here that suggests that "everything is the responsibility of the national government."

So why is the president of the united states commenting on it?

Perhaps because he, like the rest of us, enjoys freedom of speech, and he feels that child abuse is an important issue for us to confront as a nation?

I'm not a mind-reader, but something like that would be my personal guess.

You do realize that the White House made these comments as the direct result of a petition on their website, right?

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 10:31 AM
link   

I agree that the government shouldnt interfer with adults wanting this therapy, but children should not forced into something because of their parents beliefs.

Childcare is obviously a federal issue. Indeed, it would seem that everything is the responsibility of the national government even though it is actually impossible for any government to oversee.

No one has said anything here that suggests that "everything is the responsibility of the national government."

Perhaps because he, like the rest of us, enjoys freedom of speech, and he feels that child abuse is an important issue for us to confront as a nation?

You do realize that the White House made these comments as the direct result of a petition on their website, right?

So, he is not the president is this case, he is just a citizen speaking his mind?

Can we expect him to comment on the petition for building the death star?

Doesn't he have a whole lot of important stuff to do with the world in utter chaos?

This doesn't strike you as completely irrelevant to the office of the president?

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 10:33 AM
link   

So, he is not the president is this case, he is just a citizen speaking his mind?

Doesn't he have a whole lot of important stuff to do with the world in utter chaos?

This doesn't strike you as completely irrelevant to the office of the president?

Speaking out on an issue that has resulted in thousands of cases of child abuse as well as child suicide?

Nope, that doesn't strike me as irrelevant to the Office at all.

Here's the reality though: I can't speak for the President and neither can you.

ADDED IN EDIT: Do you find the issue of "building a death star" equivalent to the issue of child abuse and suicide?

Because that's the false equivalency you're touting here.

edit on 10Fri, 10 Apr 2015 10:35:03 -050015p102015466 by Gryphon66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 10:39 AM
link   
a reply to: greencmp

Are you the kind of person who walks by as well only to call DSS later to have the child taken away and made a ward of the state?

I'm a victim of pedophilia and child abuse, by family members and teachers, in the 1950's. Everybody who could have helped, like my family members, my teachers, neighbors, the school principal, the police (who were called), and the church set a blind eye to what was obvious abuse, and in turn, punished me! (I asked for it, don't you know!)

I was publicly slut shamed in front the church congregation when I was 5! I was sent to "Jesus Camp", to find repentance, when I was 8, because a janitor had his way with me.

This is the same thing that is happening to our LGBT youth. Their being abused and shamed, sent to conversion camps that teach self hatred and self loathing, all because of other's people's crimes and ignorance!

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 10:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

Fair enough and I thank you for confirming the diametrically opposed views that we each hold.

That's not a dig or anything, just saying that there is no possibility for cooperation or compromise between totalitarianism and free humanity so we need not make attempts to explain our clearly understood but opposite viewpoints.

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 10:43 AM
link   

The White House DID comment on that petition.
This Isn't the Petition Response You're Looking For

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 10:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: windword

This is the same thing that is happening to our LGBT youth. Their being abused and shamed, sent to conversion camps that teach self hatred and self loathing, all because of other's people's crimes and ignorance!

Total BS.

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 10:45 AM
link   
a reply to: windword

I don't believe that you were "slut shamed" in church as a 5 year old.

Just have to say that because it detracts from your message and is an unnecessary embellishment.

Also, my point is simply that this is definitely not a federal issue nor is it a good use of the time of the executive branch.

Though, it is a markedly more defensible than playing golf or tacitly giving permission to Iran to develop nuclear weapons.

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 10:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Yes

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 10:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Seamrog

Yeah real BS.

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 10:52 AM
link   

I was found in choir benches, after Sunday school but before the main sermon, passed out from the Jesus juice that my abuser gave me, with no underwear on and my dress up around my waist. I was touching/holding myself in a way that made the pastor think I was masturbating.

The pastor, Brother Anderson, had me stand on the stage next to him at the podium, and lift my dress for everyone to see that I was wearing no underwear! That's "slut shaming"!

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Show me one, single "Conversion Camp" that isn't funded and/or run by the Religious.

Now, show me one single religious method for treating any mental illness (perceived or not) that has actually worked. Can someone pray away their Schizophrenia? How about OCD? Can you pray away Bi-Polar disorder? What about Disassociative Personality Disorder?

Why then, do people who believe homosexuality is mental illness, send their children to RELIGIOUS therapy camps?

Would you send your child with Schizophrenia to a religious camp and expect them to come home no longer hearing voices?

Now you see the fallacy.

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 10:55 AM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

If there is a hell these therapists will burn.

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 10:57 AM
link   
I know these articles aren't necessarily about "pray the gay away camps", but I feel they are relevant and show the levels of abuse these kinds of camps dole out. So I'm posting them.

6 Shocking Realities of the Secret 'Troubled Teen Industry'

5 Realities of the the Rehab Camp My Parents Sent me to
edit on 10-4-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 10:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: windword

I was found in choir benches, after Sunday school but before the main sermon, passed out from the Jesus juice that my abuser gave me, with no underwear on and my dress up around my waist. I was touching/holding myself in a way that made the pastor think I was masturbating.

The pastor, Brother Anderson, had me stand on the stage next to him at the podium, and lift my dress for everyone to see that I was wearing no underwear! That's "slut shaming"!

I don't want to pick that battle, I will choose to believe you.

What exactly is it that you expect the federal government to do about it?

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 11:06 AM
link   

My point is about people who will turn a blind eye to obvious abuse. State and federal laws and regulations that are in effect to protect children against their abusive parents are necessary and helpful.

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 11:07 AM
link   

a reply to: Gryphon66

Fair enough and I thank you for confirming the diametrically opposed views that we each hold.

That's not a dig or anything, just saying that there is no possibility for cooperation or compromise between totalitarianism and free humanity so we need not make attempts to explain our clearly understood but opposite viewpoints.

Yes, I know that there's no compromise between our world views; I'm good with that.

You're merely lying when you call me, even obliquely, a totalitarian.

Further, I'm not trying to get you to understand anything, I'm commenting in a public forum.

You know, freedom? Try it sometime!

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 11:08 AM
link   

I don't want to pick that battle, I will choose to believe you.

Ya I'll bet. Because you know damn well they didn't make that sh*t up.

Personally I would think an apology would be in order. Just saying...

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 11:08 AM
link   
a reply to: windword

On behalf of the human race and the members of ATS, please allow me to apologize for the crassness of a member who would try to deny what you've been through for a political point.

I really wonder why I keep coming here.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join